FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 06, 2024, 05:27:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Wedds are on their way to the Nats  (Read 24980 times)
weddo
tas-club

Model: FC

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« on: March 26, 2012, 09:08:08 PM »
+1

24th ..Drive from Hobart to Devonport on Staurday to catch a little ocean liner to Port Melbourne, same old same old ....done it before .... but this is exciting!!! we're of to PERTH.

HIS FC with Judi driving is singing along very well, but I have found why race cars (OURFC) are built for the race track......my bum is sore!!

Arrived in Port Melbourne 25th at 6.30 am to disembark from the Spirit and a long drive to our son's place in Port Melbourne (all of 4 minutes). It's a bit hard to sneak up on our grandaughters at 6.45am with a couple of FC's.

Spent a loverly day and night with our family and headed of at about 10 am this morning - 26th, not before getting some spare sets of spark plugs. The other thing you begin to realise is that a race car is meant to drive hard and rev hard, but just putting around town is not good because it fuels up and starts missing. The other thing is you are always listening to noises and worrying what may go wrong. The car is brilliant for tweny full on laps around around a race circuit, but I feel a little uneasy on the long runs.

However we have made it from Melbourne to Nhill (about halfway to Adelaide) and no mishaps, so perhaps I am worrying over nothing.

see you all soon

regards

The Weddo's

Bill & Judi

surferboy
wa-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 11:06:23 PM »

Hi Bill & Judi
Looking forward to catching up with you both in Perth

Just turn up the Rock N Roll on the stereo and it drowns out all those unusual noises Bill.
It works for me and helps me relax  Cheesy

Don't tell us they don't put stereos in racing cars  Cry

You'll get to Perth OK and realise you were worrying over nothing......
and then you'll worry all the way back home

Cool Cool Cool

cruisin's great with a 58
Dave Lakin (Davo Lako)

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 10:02:50 AM »

Great !!!  Another Roadtrip to follow ... have a great time "Weddo's" ... we'll all be following you ... as for me , I'll look forward to seeing you on the other side ... bit soft , I know but I'm winging it ....

Have fun and Cheers for now , Dave .

When I was a young man I spent most of my money on cars , beer and women (in that order) ... the rest ... I just wasted !

Port Macquarie NSW
fe-ambo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 10:09:08 AM »

Thanks for sharing your road trip.

I was once told if it will do 5 miles it will do 500 so don't worry about the noises. Just cruise and enjoy.

If take a ride in a ambulance you gotta a chance,
if you take a ride in a hearse its gotta be worse.

Check out this website for more photos
http://gallery.oldholden.com/hr-hearse
jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 10:25:31 AM »

Weddo, keep the updates coming please!  Smiley

(and the only time you should REALLY get worried about the 'noises' is when they all suddenly disappear!  Wink)

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 06:05:02 PM »

Surferboy, no they don't put radios in race cars, although yes I have contemplated it, just for the f---off factor. (I can if I want to).

Weddo, I am JEALOUS, JEALOUS,JEALOUS (how many times can I say it?) I can imagine the state of your bum. If it's anything like my EH you would be scraping and crashing over every bump. I absolutely LOVE it. You bugger! I can't WAIT to catch up.

colt
weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 11:27:17 AM »

27th - Nhill to Adelaide - tyres rubbing pretty badly in the rear, moved most heavy items to HIS FC and continued on carefully.
Arrived in Adelaide at about 4.45pm after plenty of little stops and only sitting on 55-60MPH.
Decided to do something about the rubbing so found a local Pedders shop and walked in and said "I need my bum lifting" - older bloke said "can't help you but I'll have a look at your car".
The young boys in the workshop could't get over the fact they were working on a old Holden for the first time!!
After a bit of discission we decided on an old and tried remedy.
With the older guy giving directions to the two boys,- jack under there both sides, lift together gently, another jack under the diff, remove the bottom mounts for the shocks, small jack between the spring and chassis, prise bar in the spring shackle and gently flip over.  Re-mount the shocks, let the jacks down gently and hey presto instant 1 1/2"  lift.
No charge was the reply... can't accept that I said,  so a box of beer it was. 
Great guys and now highly recomended PEDDERS - KESWICK - ADELAIDE

28th - Having a lazy day catching up with some rellies and on the train tommorrow. Might have to do some "didn't know" type of talking as we are supposed to have 130mm clearance underneath - AIN'T GUNNA MAKE IT!!!!!!  See how we go.

Till next time

The Weddo's

weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 12:24:05 PM »

Where does the time go when you are having fun. Step back a day 30th.....and we arrived at the Adelaide train station to have the car loaded. Cars were checked over very thououghly and a person of very small stature was allocated to load the race car .... I'm getting a little nervous when he asked where are the gears and says "my legs are too short" ..by the time he had got it underway, stalled numerous times, left it idling, revved it and slowly inched it up onto the loading ramp and then proceeded to take what seemed about half an hour to get it into position it was boiling it's head off. I was not a happy person, but the positive is that we are on board. Toot..Toot. No problems loading HIS FC....nice guy and much longer legs
 We had awhile to wait for the passenger loading so sort out a nice quiet place in the station cafe and it wasn't long before we joined by Ray and Jan Stewart, Ray was looking for the guy with the big mo...found us!!!

It was't long before the train arrived from Sydney and proudly carrying more FC's, ...with five now on board we almost out number the other vehicles!!

Settle into our cabin, have a nice meal, a couple of drinks and off to bed. Didn't sleep a lot..maybe the motion or the excitement or both.
Start the day -30th with a lovely sun rise and breakfast and there's no  clickety clack like the last train trip I had, but that was 30 years ago!
We are currently on the long straight leg of the train trip on the Nullabor and have just had a short stop at Cook, in the middle of nowhere, a little ghost town with millions of flies, and wouldn't you know ...some more FC friends..g'day says a voice... and Richard Thomas appears from nowhere.

Well, off to enjoy the rest of our day, and wander down the cabins to meet up with our other FC and FE friends

Clickety  clack...clickety clak

Regards

The Weddo's
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 01:02:28 PM »

Hi Weddo

Good to see the trip is going well and you have found some good company on the train to keep you amused.

Enjoy the ride at least your rear end will get a rest for a while.

See you in Perth Phil and I are departing Adelaide early Sunday morning doing the FC express should be in Perth early Wednesday at the latest (If all goes well)

Cheers Jim

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 09:56:06 AM »

What a helpfull bunch of people at East Perth Railway Station and a great Rail Manager (Greg) on board the train.
I had a chance to talk to Greg enroute and let him know my frustrations about how the car was loaded in Adelaide and he said he would have a talk to the "girl" in Perth.
I take back my pre-determined trepidation of the "girl" as when I explained the problem in Adelaide and that I really need to get some water into the radiater before they started and drove it off,  she (Carol) said " don't worry Luv we will look after it... and they did.... they got a bunch of people and carefully pushed it off the train and out onto the parking area. THANK YOU !! they were great and it topped of a great train trip,

Yipee we made it, we are finally in Perth - let the show begin!!!

regards

The Weddo's
surferboy
wa-club
Guru

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 05:44:18 PM »

You'll get used to it soon Bill
We're all happy, helpful people over here in the West   Grin Grin Grin

We've thought of everything...
we've even organised the weather to make the Eastern Staters feel more at home
or
Did you bring this rain with you ?
6 months of heatwaves  then 1 week to the Nats we get rain  Shocked
I'm even thinking about pulling a jumper out of mothballs  Sad

Cool Cool Cool

cruisin's great with a 58
weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 09:44:59 PM »

WELL....BUGGA ME... it seems like just we checked into the Nats and now its all over, where did this last week or do go?

Congratulations WA Super job!!!!!!
If you guage the quality of the Nats by the enjoyment you had, WA ticked all the boxes for us.  We managed to pack in an enornous amount in a few days, saw relatives that we hadn't seen for thirty years. We met new friends in the FE FC scene and renewed friendships from years past and we have had a ball.

But now sadly we must part.

The cars are packed and we set off  mid morning for a leisurly drive from Perth to Southern Cross. Called into Kellerberrin and spent an hour or so with Richard Marek at his old garage and Holden Dearlership shed and display. What a wonderfull array of old holden history and what a generous guy to give up his time to show us around.  He has asked that if anyone has any photo's taken outside could they email him a copy and he will update his website with them.
oldseadog@westnet.com.au    http://www.marekbrosgarage.com

He also said (tounge in cheek) "who left the black rubber marks on his forcourt".

Any way we made it to Southern Cross and no dramas, my bum must be getting used to the hardness.

Didn't have to change any plugs today, 53 loves the wind blowing in her grille, mind you I should have gotten a trophy for the most plug changes between Melbourne and the end of the Nats in Perth

Tootle of to Kalgoorlie tomorrow for spot of site seeing and an overnight stay somewhere. (did any one else stay in Kalgoorlie?)

Regards

The Weddo's
Dave Lakin (Davo Lako)

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 10:32:24 AM »

Have a safe , enjoyable and event-free trip back ...

Dave .

When I was a young man I spent most of my money on cars , beer and women (in that order) ... the rest ... I just wasted !

Port Macquarie NSW
weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 09:22:43 PM »

Well...just another day on the road, starting from Southern Cross via Coolgardie for an early lunch and onto Kalgoorlie for some site seeing.
We saw the Super Pit at night on our way over on the train (short stop and tour) and then today during daylight...what a BLOODY BIG hole... it is awsome!!.  Shocked Shocked

Did I say that the race car didn't have a plug change all day?.... loving it and getting plenty of attention from fellow travellers. HIS FC with Judi steering is still moving along nicely.

Spent the afternoon touring around Bolder and Kalgoorlie, had the usual photo shoot in Hay Street, a beer and dinner at a pub in town and now just laying back in a nice cabin at the Prospector Holiday Park.

Tomorrow.. Kalgoorlie to Norseman or Fraser Range after a bit more exploring around town.

My BUM started to hurt this afternoon, but I realised I was sitting on something Grin

Sorry to hear about Garry, hope all turns out well, and a safe journey home for the Ambo.... and for all our other fellow travellers

Regards

The Weddo's
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 09:01:06 PM »

Woops, that may have been me leaving the black marks? No, not THAT way. I had to maneuvre the trailer into position and his forecourt is very tight!

colt
weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 10:26:27 PM »
+1

Isn't it nice not having phone coverage for a few days.

MY BUM HURTS !!!!!!

anway ..had a nice stop over at Fraser Range Station.. what a great little spot..accomodation in old shearers quarters, stone floor and all..nice couple running the place.."wow how long have you been here I said...ummmm five days was the reply, simply briliant place and would will go back some time.

The nullabor is a brilliant drive, scenery changing all the time, cars and vans and trucks.. bloody long trucks.. and every body waving ..what a happy few days. Stayed at Madura, Nullabor Road House and now in Streaky Bay upon the recomendation from some Canadians we had a few drinks with at the Nullabor Road House Bar. We are having agreat time and so far no problems with the cars.

We aren't travelling very fast 3050 RPM, 155 deg water, 35lb oil pressure, 92 kph, 60 mph day in day out and my BUM STILL HURTS but I'm still smiling.. every time I look in the mirror Judi is still right behind me. And late in the day when the I pod gets boring and you need to keep awake we start weaving from side to side and passing one onother in turn and doing stupid things you shouldn't normally do.. but it is fun  and by the way only on long stretches of clear road... like there is any other sort of road around here duuh!!

Did get one particular photo on the way

FC STIG

anyway until next time

regards

The Weddos
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 10:50:09 PM »

I see you have the fireproof racing sandles on.
Good to hear you are still out there having fun.
Regards
Alex

weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 06:42:03 PM »

Catch up time!!
As I said it is sometimes a good thing without a phone connection.

Did I say MY BUM HURTS. It didn’t this morning - 19th

Yesterday we drove from lovely Streaky Bay at about lunch time, where we stayed in some really good accommodation Villas with undercover pool and spar, barby area (and a nice little town) to Port Lincoln where we thought we would select some rather nice accommodation again …….WRONG!! 
The whole of Port Lincoln was booked out for a Convention ..and it was getting dark.

We had tried every where and the last stop was the Lincoln Motel – six story- plenty of rooms I thought, Uh Uh no way. The staff  were extremely apologetic and there was another couple also at reception doing as we were. One of the staff found them some accommodation at Coffin Bay – drive back 40 minutes for them. The manager (must have been our good looks) tried a few places, but to no avail and it looked like we were going to have to sleep on the beach.

“I have a friend” she says and they have two Eco Lodges, I will try them for you.
I spoke to “Jill” (best friends now) over the phone and she said she would make up one of the lodges for us, “just have a meal in town and give her some time to do it”.

Katherine our other new best friend Manager printed out the directions of how to get there “and a bit of dirt road”  she said. Thanking her profusely we set of to have a meal and then travel about 15k’s out of town to the turn off, in the same direction we were travelling as luck would have it.

MMM .. 15k’s is about 25ks.. the “a bit of dirt road” is another 20ks up into the hills.. dark as dark and as rough as you like but we battled on with Judi following just out of the dust screen behind me.
We eventually found the turn off towards the main house, and thought oh my…what have we gotten into. We pulled up at the front of the main house and our best new friend Jill walked out to greet us. She called her husband out to see the cars and two of their friends also came out.

One of their friends says “so you are from Tasmania…which part” 
We said “ Lewisham” about 40k’s out of Hobart
Well buggar me, turns out he lives about 3k’s from us…you wouldn’t believe it !!

Our new best friend’s husband Michael, asked us in for a drink, which we declined, but said he would love to catch up in the morning if possible. Turns out it was not possible, he was the local Magistrate.

Our directions to the ECO Lodge was … just follow the track down the hill, which we did..for about 2 more k’s . Boy am I glad Port Lincoln was booked out. We arrive at the most wonderful architecturally designed and appointed accommodation you can imagine. The bed was the softest thing my bum had felt for a long time. We slept like babies.

Morning arrives and the view from the Lodge is to die for, kangaroos in the garden, birdlife every where and all in the middle of the bush with only natures sounds to keep us company.

With all that behind us (and many a photo) we sadly drove back out of the bush, which didn’t seem as long in daylight, and headed on up the highway. Stopped in Tumby Bay for lunch, another lovely place, (we are compiling quite a list of places to return to when we retire in a few years) and onto Cowell where we caught the new vehicle ferry for a two hour crossing to Wallaroo. Step down in accommodation to a nice cabin in the caravan park, but still no internet connection

regards

The Weddo's
weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 07:08:53 PM »

Catch up No 2.

53 aint no more.. It has retired from the race...dam

Set of for Port Wakefield this morning and just about to arrive at the Port and 53 started missing, got worse and we stopped.

No 1 plug not burning fuel, pulled the rocker cover of and had a broken rocker arm. Oh well it has done it before and I carry a spare or two.
Pulled it apart and change one over and set the tappets, but when we went to start it again, it struggled to turn over..mmmm have bent some thing in the process. Called RACT in turn RAA sent out a mechanic, changed "dirty" points, had good spark every where and fuel but did not like turning over.
Outcome...RACT recover veghicle and deliver back to my address...the best part about being in Ultimate Membership although we do have to pay for the boat, but get a refund on the passage previously booked Sad part is leaving the car at Port Wakefield RAA depot and waiting for it to be delivered back home some time in possibly two weeks.

The seat is softer in HIS FC and I get to ride with Judi now for the run home.

I can say I HAVE DRIVEN A RACE CAR ACROSS THE NULLABOR

Till next time

regards
The Weddo's

FE_UTE
wa-club

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 10:39:24 PM »

G'day Weddos
Sorry to hear bout the Race car...must have been the rough WA bush roads...gotta be happy with Ultimate membership

Bloody hell it must be a bugger to have to share a car after all these miles ......... Grin Grin

Enjoy your time together, have a safe ending to your travels
Great couple...great diary...great cars...

See you in Tassie

Cheers
Gary & Lorene

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: