FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:57:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Standard diff?  (Read 8841 times)
Damo-Damo

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2012, 08:24:17 PM »

Hi guys, wondering if someone can help me, been searching the forum but cant really be confident of the answer.
I have attached a couple of photos of the diff in my FE ute, it has a 202 and 3 speed gearbox in it but everything else is prety stock, wondering if this diff is also, or if it is a different ratio.  The only numbers I could find seem to be 26E5 not sure if I am looking in the right place or not, but figured one of you guys would know for sure.  The ute has I think HK rims on it with 205/75/14's on it, what would be the recomendations for a diff to replace this one with if I do??

colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 08:52:01 PM »

It's not a standard diff. Standard diffs have a different yoke. It'll be a 3.55 or 3.36. Get a wire brush and clean the flange around the front seal and the ratio should be stamped into the flange.

colt
Damo-Damo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 03:10:40 PM »

Thanks for that mate, gave it a good scrub and found the numbers, it says 3/08 which way does that work, does this make it faster or slower? is this a good fit for an FE?
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 08:34:03 PM »

It would be better with a 4 or 5 speed to get better takeoff torque. My opinion would be that it would be better with one step back to a 3.36 ratio.

As far as your FE goes it would be great at 100 kph but lousy at the lights.

Ken
Damo-Damo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 09:40:50 PM »

Haha, thanks Ken....theres not too many lights where I am so I might leave it as is for a while, and try and find a 3:36 when I get it on the road, how can I tell if they have just put in a new diff or if the whole rear end is changed? Could this diff of fitted into a standard back end?
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 10:38:32 PM »

If it has a HR disc front then it would be a HR rear end - standard front then most likely a 308 diff in a standard rear.
pictures tell a thousand words

Ken
Damo-Damo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 04:33:30 PM »

Hi guys, took a back wheel off and got you a couple of pictures...now, so far my ignorance has been obvious but I think here I may be improving?? Im thinking the fact that the bump stops dont line up and the hand brake and speedo cables are not connected may be a good sign they have whacked a different back end in here?? How did I go?
Also the drums look a little red to be 50 years old??
What do you think?
It had the standard front end so i have no idea why they would have changed this if they have, but it may be a better match for the Disc front end if i am going to leave the 14" wheels?
I think the shockers might look a lot older, do you reckon they are original?
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 08:41:07 PM »

im pretty sure it is drums look like HR so does the back of the diff hrs look wider at the pumpkin bit.

Pete

Nick59

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 09:53:53 PM »

HR rear ends do not use U brackets to mount to the leaf springs.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 11:14:18 PM »

My gues sit is a HD rear end - looks like HR but with U bolts

Ken
Damo-Damo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 11:19:23 PM »

Is this an ok fit? Was planning on putting something different in it as I figured it was standard, so dont mind changing it, the brake lines seemed to be original, is a HD much the same as the HR or is it worth changing it over?
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 08:47:03 AM »

Whats the brake line bracket  Huh
Isnt HD HR on the other side.?

Pete

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 05:14:36 PM »

Guys,

I did an HR disc brake conversion on the family EK more years ago than I care to remember:

The brake hose bracket on HD/HR rear axle is on the right side.  You can *just* make the rear brake hose fit to an HR rear axle, but it's always under tension.  So instead I made an L-shaped bracket about 4-5" tall which fitted on the inner front bolt of the RH lower spring bracket, with an adaptor and short length of brake pipe to run to the T-piece on the rear axle.

I used an HR handbrake cable.  I cut the rear handbrake cable mounts off a wrecked HR and attached them to the EK body in the right place.  The HR handbrake cable was a little shorter than the original, so I used a couple of pieces of sheet steel, drilled in the right places to take another clevis pin, to take up the gap between the handbrake lever and the cable equalizer.

And yes, some HDs and HRs used U-bolts in the rear axle.  I've had an HD X2 and an HR X2, both of which had U-bolts.  I figure the GM engineers were a little concerned that the spring saddle welds would break, and the U-bolts provided a safety backup.

Yes, the bump stops don't line up, but they don't hit each other either.  On full bump, the HR bump stop hits the body on top of the retaining bolt for the original bump stop.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Damo-Damo

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 08:56:12 AM »

Thanks for that guys, really is a help, as I wouldnt have a clue, gets tricky when someone else has changed bits and peices.  So the verdict seems to be a HD/HR which suits me fine, im sure a brake shop could whip me up a new handbreak line, the speedo one might be a bit trickier, any tips there??

Thanks again everyone
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: