FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:26:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel tank pickup / upgrade line diameter.  (Read 2076 times)
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« on: April 02, 2003, 10:23:10 PM »

Could somebody describe how the pickup in the wagon fuel tank works?  I guess this is generally for any kind of tank also. I'm assuming there is an internal pipe that leds to the lowest point of the tank.

I am planning to fit up EFI, and thought I may upgrade my lines from 5/16 to 3/8" since I was doing the job..

The threaded fuel outlet from the tank is to suit a 5/16 pipe.  Would upgrading to 3/8" be a waste of time since this point would be a limiting factor?

Similarly with factory fuel pumps etc, since they were designed with 5/16" line in mind, would uprgrading to 3/8" be a waste of time?

any tHoughts appreciated..

Cheers

Ed

Im confident I could get adaptors etc made up for the fittings..

in the shed
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2003, 09:00:20 AM »

Ed, I may be wrong but EFI requires a return line as well and the ideal thing from my somewhat limited experience of this would be to install a VN or later pickup unit in your tank which would solve all problems in one go.

Ken
fc_ute

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2003, 12:19:48 PM »

i have been thinking about this for a while and have been told a couple of different things by people in the know.
efi pumps put out a lot more pressure(60 compared to 5) and you also need a "swirl pot" which is a low point in the tank for the pump to sit in so that it doesnt run dry when you are going around corners.
i was also told the other day that the return line doesnt need to go all the way back to the tank but i dont know where you would end it?
craig
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2003, 08:19:40 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys.

With help from Brad at Commwreck and a visit to American Autos, I've sorted this out..

Will use a VL external pump as Ken suggested,
will probably use a Facet low pressure electric fuel pump to feed surge tank, the hi pressure EFI pump will be gravity fed from this.

Regulator located on return side of fuel rails, which feeds low pressure fuel back to surge tank.

Return line from surge tank to fuel tank.

I have a spare tank, which will probably donate it's 5/16" female threaded end..  alternatively I can probably get some kind of weld in fitting from Enzed.

Now I'm just deciding on locations of bits and pieces, for safety and reliability.  

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: