FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:24:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: wheel nuts...  (Read 11710 times)
jack_fc

Model: FC

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2011, 12:08:58 PM »

Can anyone help with a definite answer here?
Are HK/T/G wheel nuts same thread/diameter/seat angle as HQ/HZ? (obviously different PCD though...)
And are HQ/HZ same as Chev; both nuts and PCD?

thanks, jack

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »

Jack same 7/16" unf  Grin Grin Grin...FC427.....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
jack_fc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 12:54:59 PM »

Thanks Mark  Smiley So HK/T/G, HQ/Z and Chev nuts are all 7/16", and I assume same seat angle, but are HQ/Z and Chev PCD the same??

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 03:43:40 PM »

Thanks Mark  Smiley So HK/T/G, HQ/Z and Chev nuts are all 7/16", and I assume same seat angle, but are HQ/Z and Chev PCD the same??
Jack HQ WB same as Chev  ...HK HT HG same as early Holden except 48 and FJ  if that's what you were asking  Huh Huh Huh Huh....FC427.....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 05:21:05 PM »

G'day Jack,
Early Holdens up to HK had 45 degree seat angle wheel nuts and then from HT or HG on Holden changed the seat angle to 60 degrees.
Hope this helps,
Regards ACE  Cool
jack_fc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 05:45:23 PM »

Jack HQ WB same as Chev  ...HK HT HG same as early Holden except 48 and FJ  if that's what you were asking  Huh Huh Huh Huh....FC427.....

Mark, other than ascertaining that the nuts were all 7/16", I wanted to know if HQ/WB wheels were interchangeable (same PCD) with Chev - because one of my Chev-head mates has the hots for the Weld ProStars currently on my old Statesman, and he's got some nice steelies with whitebands and baby moons on his '56 Chev that I like.... Smiley Wink

ACE, thanks for that; I run HK centres on my FC (HR d/b front, XU1 diff); maybe I should check the chrome nuts I'm using - wouldn't be surprised if they are HT onwards (60 degree), although I've done 20,000 km and haven't had a wheel come loose yet. Was asking about thread diameter/seat angle because I was thinking of replacing these nuts with new ones to suit HQ/WB or Chev; might have a re-think on this given your info!

Thanks to both of you  Smiley Smiley Smiley

cheers, jack

jack_fc

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 08:12:56 PM »

The more I ask/look, the more confusing it gets  Huh
Re angle of taper on wheel nuts - exactly when (what model) did it change from 45 to 60 degrees...
Evidence so far -
1) ACE says 45 up to (and including?) HK, then 60 to HT - WB
2) Someone on the FB/EK forum says 45 up to EK (and EJ?), then 60 for EH - WB
3) Holden Master Parts cattledog says "Nut, Wheel Hub, FJ - HR part no. 7407655, 20 of..." (note cattledog goes up to HR only)

Anyone got an opinion on the wisdom (or lack thereof!) of using 45 degree nuts on wheels meant for 60 degree nuts; also vice-a-versa...
Given that some of us like our steel wheels, and often use wheels sourced from FE up to HG on our FE/FCs, it's probably important that we get a definite answer on this one...
Also, many of us use aftermarket chrome nuts on our steelies; I've got 3 sets and they're all 60 degree taper.... could these have serious implications if used on wheels that suit 45 degree nuts??

All/any input sought and welcomed...

cheers, jack

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 11:16:03 PM »

All/any input sought and welcomed...

Put some mags on the car  Tongue

Truth be told I was unaware of the differences in nuts, I just new there are a bunch of "different" nuts on this forum  Undecided

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 11:06:55 AM »

It had always been my belief that the early stud pattern, ie up to HG, had the same nut and when Holden moved to Chev stud pattern the nut changed as well. However I don't have a conclusive proof of this. You don't need much imagination to see that a later nut on an early wheel will only be securing the wheel on the very inner edge of the hole. I have seen many damaged rims by using the wrong nut.

You wouldn't use a Commodore tie rod end in an early Holden drag link because the tapers are different, so why would you knowingly use the wrong nuts on your wheels?

Ken
jack_fc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 03:33:06 PM »

You wouldn't use a Commodore tie rod end in an early Holden drag link because the tapers are different, so why would you knowingly use the wrong nuts on your wheels?

Ken

Obviously, you wouldn't...if you knew precisely which model wheels were 45 degree taper, and which were 60.
Furthermore, it's apparent that quite a few people (and that includes until recently, me) are unaware of any difference in wheel nuts, and therefore could unknowingly use the wrong combination of wheel and nuts - which is precisely why I asked the question in the first place.

A reply to a similar thread on the FB/EK forum indicates that the Rare Spares website lists one wheel nut part nbr (45 degree) for FE up to HK, and another (60 degree) for HG - WB; don't know what happened to HT though Huh

So it appears that ACE is closest to the money so far...  Smiley

Any more info out there? Anyone got a Parts cattledog(s) covering HK - WB that lists wheel nuts parts nbrs by models?
It's looking fairly sure that HK is 45 dergrees, and HG is 60, but would be great to be certain on all three models as HK/T/G rims/centres are all very commonly used on FE - EKs

cheers, jack

Stash
nsw-club

Sydney, NSW

johnchaplin
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 06:22:35 PM »

not sure it is 85 degrees though...
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 11:16:55 PM »

Has to be a typo. 45 deg not 85. Years ago I ran HT rims on my EK with the 45 deg nuts. Ended up with a crack forming between adjacent stud holes. I always wondered why, thinking that the 14" centres were too big on the HR disc hubs. It happened on a front wheel. Probably the first one to go due to extra load. Now I realise it was probably a mismatch between rim centres and "me wheel nuts!"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 01:58:28 PM »
+1

It's not a misprint, the 85 & 62 degree angles are taken including both faces.

To explain that a little more clearly, to get the angle that you a talking about, divide these figure by 2.

So the FE-HK nuts have a 42.5 deg. taper, while the later nuts have a 31 deg. taper relative to the stud's axis.

Dr Terry
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 05:14:16 PM »

Ok that makes sense. Cheers Doc T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Stash
nsw-club

Sydney, NSW

johnchaplin