FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 06:36:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: genny to alternator  (Read 11751 times)
andykotzur

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2003, 11:13:46 AM »

I think its time to ditch the genny as I cant get the red light to go off at low revs.
Can anyone advise me on how to wire up an alternator with a regulater attached to the back of it?  Thanks
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2003, 01:11:35 AM »

The conversion is not a big job, but FWIW it's quite normal to have the generator light glow faintly (not bright and full on) at low revs - especially if you have headlights and valve-radio on.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2003, 08:32:30 AM »
+2

I think its time to ditch the genny as I cant get the red light to go off at low revs.
Can anyone advise me on how to wire up an alternator with a regulater attached to the back of it?  Thanks

G'Day andykotzur

First get hold of a workshop manual for your car,you will need one with a wiring diagram.If you can get hold of a Gregorys #67 manual which covers from FX to Hr , it has wiring diagrams for both generator and alternator models. If unsure pay an auto sparky to do the job, will only take a couple of hours even mounting the alternator and all.
I will try and show two methods first leaves the empty old regulator to keep a little original look to under bonnet , the second removes old regulator all together but will involve the soldering of exisiting wires.
DISCONNECT THE BATTERY

First
To confuse the masses, remove all the workings from inside the existing regulator, this allows you to retain a fairly stock look and you are able to use the external terminals on the regulator(which will connect to nothing inside once guts is removed) as simple connection points for the existing wiring.

I used a later model positive battery lead with the alternator to battery connection (A smaller red wire, HK to HG holden use them), This connects from the battery to the main output from alternator

The warning light on the dash runs through the current field wire, DF.

Remove completely the D- wire from the wiring harness(No longer required).

Cut off the D+ wire(Big Brown Wire) at the generator and make safe(Or remove it all together from the harness), this wire remains live at all times.

The above method is the simplest as the additional connections at the current regulator for horns power feed to car etc. are untouched.

Second Method (More Difficult)

If you dont want to retain current regulator box or aren't sure about removing the guts you can do the following.

Connect D+ from generator to the alternator output terminal

Connect the DF wire from generator to the field terminal of alternator(Small terminal usually a spade terminal)

Remove all the connections from the old regulator and you will have to join the B+ to the D+ wires,make safe all the bare wire connections. Remove the old regulator from car completely.

Sorry for telling the obvious about the battery but better safe then sorry

Once again if unsure get an Auto Sparky to do the job, the least that will happen is blowing the alternator up the worst burning your car and possibly yourself to the ground.

Good Luck and sorry for being so long winded
John M

PS the other thing to do is rebuild the genny, more than likely needs a good clean up and new brush's, take it again to an auto sparky.

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2003, 12:03:59 AM »

John,

Excellent work.  I'd like to take this and add it to the Tech Info articles section.  Would that be OK and might there be any chance you could add either a photo or two of the finished product and/or a copy of the relevant part(s) of the wiring diagram(s) to flesh it out a bit more?

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Effie C

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2003, 01:04:35 AM »

No dramas RET will dig out camera and scanner and see what I can do, do you want it sent direct to yourself?
John M

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2003, 01:48:39 AM »

Yes please.  Email link at left if you don't have it already.  We already have the wiring diagram for FE in the Tech Section, so there's no need to worry about that, unless the Gregory's one is better than the Workshop Manual's version (that would be a turn-up!)

cheers
RET

DN2168
nsw-club

Model: FC

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 07:32:40 PM »

I am in the process of doing this conversion & just want to clarify the correct wiring before I have an unplanned BBQ  Grin.

The Brown wire will go to the power out on the alternator & the Blue wire will get a spade terminal & be hooked to the D+. Please correct me if wrong!!!

When removing the regulator which are the wires that are joined?

Thanks in advance,
                           Dean.

zl296

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 08:39:42 PM »

is it the same for lucas and bosch....

die young and leave a good looking corpse...
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 02:36:24 PM »

Good work John, I've done his many times and never thought of stripping out the regulator to use as a joint terminal. Great stuff.

Ken
jarred

Model: FC

jarred pointing
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 03:35:04 AM »

hey mate,electrical and wiring is definitely my weakness,im in this process now (bought unfinished project with stuff missing everywhere) but with this address link here-

http://holdenpaedia.oldholden.com/Generator_to_Alternator_Conversion

and a gregory's manual wiring diagram (also tells you all the wires colouring) it should be easy enough. pay specific attention to the terminals names in the regulator
D is for your generator light in your dash (means dynamo-which means generator-which is now your alternator)

B red wires that go to your battery positive terminal,

F for field, i believe fields is what gets eliminated by the fact that you now have a regulated D+ terminal on your alternator. from there i just took note of where each wire went to on the wiring diagram.its all in that link as to what terms mean what. also,my brother (electronics engineer ironically) recommended putting a 20 amp fuse between battery positive terminal and all the wires that were supposed to connect to it,just in case as apparently you can melt the battery terminal if its hooked up wrong. i havent kicked mine over yet as i dont have the fuse,battery is flat and the motor is rebuilt so i have to fit up an oil pressure gauge.

hope this helps

"unfinished project" .... i'll never do it again!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: