FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:53:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FE 1957 - Breton Blue/Teal Blue - 327, T700, modified chassis - original body  (Read 194341 times)
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: February 14, 2015, 09:17:01 AM »

We used to spend hours putting these front ends back to original so we could modify them properly . This is why people are so unhappy with front mounted racks . Haydn
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #301 on: February 22, 2015, 08:03:35 PM »

Yeah I'm too young and haven't had an old Holden pre 76 before these so I am neither here nor there but the guys I'm working on the car with to use their equipment reckon they have done fronts and it can be done properly. Once we do the rear mounts I'll whiz it home for the blasting. It's hard to find an engineer who will pass a front mount though in Adelaide

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 25, 2015, 08:26:51 PM »

Looks nice the Chevy colour.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
DJ
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 25, 2015, 09:09:46 PM »

It's a great colour.

Dave
0417 270 315
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #304 on: March 11, 2015, 06:42:32 PM »

Yes it is.

Deano

DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 11, 2015, 09:37:58 PM »

Your mechanic looks keen.

Dave
0417 270 315
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #306 on: March 12, 2015, 07:52:07 AM »

Yeah he is a bit older now and not as keen, but my 15 yr old is keen now. I think he sees a potential chick magnet. I'll have to go cruising with him and hide in the back bahaha.

Deano

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 12, 2015, 09:12:14 AM »
+2

I would like to clarify a point I made about 1 month ago . I was not referring to all front mounted racks .I was referring to badly modified front ends in general . Having said that ,there are issues with rear racks [ length and position of rack[[bump steer] ,intermediate shaft ,recessing top uni., and steering arm length and curve inward ect [toe in on turn] . Front racks are difficult to fit around the outrigger [ as most know we would lower the top edge of the outrigger so the rack went over the top ] the swaybar mounts [saddles ] we would turn around and capture another nut inside the subframe further forward then weld the mounting points on the lower wishbones so the swaybar would be forward enough so as not to interfere with the steering rods[rack connecting rods] . The rack mounting needs to be adjustable to allow for stub axle and steering arm variations . The length of steering arms will dictate the speed of turn [amount of steering wheel turns]  ,and the amount of extra teeth cut on rack . The position of the rack against the cross member determines the length of the rack . Now, the real issue with front racks is that the ideal position of the tie rod end would go very close to the disc rotor centre . What I mean is that the tie rod to the stub axle centre  position on front steer would be diagonally opposite that of the same on rear steer, and this can be seen obviously on LC,LJ Torana and HQ,HJ steering toe in on turn . I was originally using a std., LC torana front end on my Vauxhall as it was the only holden front end that was narrow enough . But first time I tried to turn the steering on loose gravel the outside wheel full locked and the car went straight ahead [as they did back in the day] so I immediately went back home and changed the steering arms to LX torana [also moved the upper control arm position backward] . I think holden did the same and called it RTS . I don't blame engineers for opting out on geometry that they struggle with but , I still believe that quality front steer can be achieved . Cheers Haydn   
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 12, 2015, 12:04:20 PM »
+2

Hi Haydn
I know you have had a lot of experience with conversions so not having a go at you but I think the comment that rear racks have issues is only true when people try to use all sorts of fancy configurations other than the ones that have been tried and true, same with steering arms.There are plenty of comments on the forum regarding all sorts of issues on both front and rear so I don't want to rehash it.

As I've said before I run a V6 Conversions modified VB - VH manual rack, HR steering arms, drop spindles, HZ WB rotors and Girlock calipers I have no bump steer and a good turning circle and a good positive feel to the steering.

You detail a lot of modification to have to do to fit the front rack and I assume if the semi skilled try to do this sort of DIY could be dangerous if it is not done right so I agree with what you say about badly modified front ends and to my point that this applies as much to rear racks as much as fronts.

The only person that I have ever spoken to that says they have sorted ity out is Phil Hutton in Busselton WA he has spent a lot of time sorting the front rack he has pulled it in really tight to the x member and apparently solved the problem of the bump steer etc but I am still going to fit a V6 Conversion rear rack to my EK ute I'm working on simple because of the ease of fitting and my knowledge of fitting my sedans steering that it actually works.
Regards
Neil H
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 08:41:54 PM - Hidden.
Re:
« Reply #309 on: March 13, 2015, 08:41:54 PM »

Deano

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 13, 2015, 09:55:54 PM »
+3

Might want to dial that back a bit Deano, You yourself drop sometimes very unrelated or obscure comments (that sometimes I just don't get) in the middle of threads like the comment in my thread below.... All info I had already given. Sometimes we go off on tangents as I have as well - following the discussion - on an open forum.
Excuse me, I have a few questions. Have you paid off that steering column yet? Have you found a VX donor yet? Also, can we pls have a pic of the whole car, as it stands atm?
Cheers
Deano.
When my build thread FINALLY gets to the completed section I will be getting it cleaned up so as it is a nice easy and good read.
PS I can't stand the Bulldogs  Huh

FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 14, 2015, 08:30:22 AM »
+2

X2

Might want to dial that back a bit Deano, You yourself drop sometimes very unrelated or obscure comments (that sometimes I just don't get) in the middle of threads like the comment in my thread below.... All info I had already given. Sometimes we go off on tangents as I have as well - following the discussion - on an open forum. When my build thread FINALLY gets to the completed section I will be getting it cleaned up so as it is a nice easy and good read.
PS I can't stand the Bulldogs  Huh

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #312 on: March 14, 2015, 08:49:02 AM »

Lol. That was my attempt of humour NES. I don't expect people to ever understand that! I pm the guys and I changed the wording of my original post. Sometimes the tone and words aren't quite what you intend so thanks for alerting me to it maybe being interpreted the wrong way.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #313 on: March 14, 2015, 07:13:50 PM »

For those who have done a v8 sbc conversion, do you know where you can buy dummy engine blocks?

Deano

Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 14, 2015, 09:34:32 PM »

http://www.summitracing.com/int/search/product-line/p-ayr-products-replica-long-block-engines
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #315 on: March 14, 2015, 09:52:07 PM »

Thanks Ol_Girl_58. I'll look into it for sure.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #316 on: June 20, 2015, 01:53:58 PM »

The rack was finished a little while ago and we are about to make the brackets. Soon I should have the front end together so I'll update then. Have been doing but n pieces as I can but have the shed fairly sorted and have nearly finished the house off so planning to have a decent run in spring.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #317 on: July 08, 2016, 12:12:16 AM »

OK. I have started planning the radiator and did some more work on the subframe. I bought some single stay 2k paint colours and I have narrowed it down to a few blues. Funny how most young people want original blues or very similar but I am still thinking a metallic or pearl blue. Not sure if anyone is interested in seeing the sample, but I love this particular ppg blue, close to original. I have disassembled the grill and the frame is to be blasted (I think it's this one 😕) and I stripped the chrome down to nickel and getting ready to reverse plate some bits. Set up to solder the pot metals and have set up a metal polishing station with three separate bench grinders.

So considering that I robbed the bumper mount from this car and the beautiful rear seam below the fuel filler will be donated to the taxi so as to keep that original, I will now be altering the bumper, narrowing the ends to hug it into the car. I will custom make new mounts both sides and lot the bracket, making the bumper adjustable somewhat.

Work continues on the adaptation of the vs fuel tank mounting. And I have decided to do a coilover rear suspension. I have an idea from an iveco truck for the rear end and suspension but don't want to get ahead of myself. Been gathering stuff and doing fiddly bits in the background.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 24, 2016, 06:59:56 PM »

I made an inner boot section/wheel house corner because it was rusted out. I have seen a few methods on here to do this. I made it bigger for a start and am contemplating whether to butt weld it in place or just put it over the existing good piece at the top with an overlap cos i figured if it has weld through primer behind it, the area might be a bit stronger that way and saves time.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #319 on: July 22, 2017, 09:58:18 AM »

I bought a new welder and have some more parts to start working on the cars again. Good to see some familiar faces still at it. Dedication!

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Deano

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: