FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 30, 2024, 06:33:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Advice for a beginner...  (Read 8553 times)
Tenille

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2010, 05:21:46 PM »

I have been admiring a 1958 FC Holden that seems great (referral from a friend of a friend), but probably could do with some more love and attention to make her amazing. The only thing is that although I love old cars and in particular Holdens, I have no experience with them other than admiring other peoples and taking one for a spin now and again.

So this is where I would like some advice… In your opinion am I getting in over my head buying one if I have no mechanical background? I would like this to hopefully become a hobby so that I could start to maintain her mostly myself and do some of the basic repairs, and easier restoration and upgrades when needed. Do you think it is possible to learn some of the fundamental skills so I can do this? If so where would you recommend I start?

Also it has been suggested to me that to maintain such an old vehicle could be rather costly just in spare parts alone. Do you think this is a fair concern?

I am sure I will be able to round up my brother or a friend that knows a bit about cars to come along and check her out with me, but I would like to have some level of confidence myself that I am not buying a dud. Given I am a complete novice to this, what questions should I be asking to find out if she is as lovely as she seems? Note specs that I have been given so far are
- Original 3 speed & original six cylinder grey motor,
- Original drum brakes all round with period vacuum brake booster
- Engine re conditioned in mid 90s and has done approximately 40,000 miles since
- Replaced sub frame & regoed with new sub frame number. Straight body with minimal rust.

Any advice would be appreciated! 

Gotta start somewhere
jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 05:44:54 PM »

Welcome Tenille!
Enthusiasm will be necessary; mechanical experience certainly isn't!
If you want to tell us where you and the car you're thinking of buying are located, I'm sure there'll be someone here on the forum somewhere close enough to help you check out the car...
And if/when you buy it, you'll get all your questions answered right here by people with LOTS of knowledge (and I'm not one of them  Wink)
cheers, jack

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
snuff69

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 06:44:37 PM »

G'day Tennille  Welcome. If you can get someone to check that the car is not rusty or had dodgy repairs done I'd say go for it. They are quite simple cars to work on mechanically just get a workshop manual and follow the directions. So if its not rusty and is complete(some trim pieces are a bit hard to get and a bit pricey for good stuff) I would recommend it, you will have fun. The forum is a great place to ask questions and just see what other people are up to and the more knowllegable out there are always ready to help.   Dave
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 08:05:50 PM »

Welcome Tennille  always good to have a new chick on board  Grin....FC427.....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 08:55:20 PM »

Welcome Tenille,

As has been said before the most important part is the enthusiasm, and to make sure that what has been repaired has been repaired correctly. I am sure that you will be able to find answers to any questions that you may have in the future.

I wish you all the best

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
Rabbitoh
vic-club

Model: FE

FE - 'King of Cars'

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 11:33:30 PM »

I have been admiring a 1958 FC Holden that seems great 

Wait till you see the classier, more attractive older sister, the FE Holden, Tenille, now that really is a great car Wink
(don't mind me, just stokin' a very friendly rivalry on this forum).
I'm sure the FC will do fine (until you find an FE Cheesy)
R.

Fortius Quo Fidelius 1966; Saints' 2nd in 2024?
Bunnies' 22nd in 2024?
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 07:17:08 AM »

Dont listen to rabbitoh

Every one starts with an ugly looking gal and then they realise how much better the newer  prettier one is.

(i have both models so i cant really say too much)

FEHOLDEN

like all good things...it will happen eventually.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 01:27:02 PM »

Gidday Tenille and like everyone else "welcome to the forum" Grin

First thing you have to do is ask to see the qualifications of all these people who are trying to "advise" you about cost of parts and repairs etc. I quite often find these kind of negative people rarely achieve much with their lives because they are too scared to have a go.

Next of all don't be at all shy about being a novice on this site as none of us was born knowing everything there is to know about fe/fc holdens(except maybe ken ) Grin The only dumb question is the one you should have asked but didn't.

I guess the point I am trying to make is: Life is too short to worry about "what-if" If it gives you some confidence then ask for a volunteer from this forum to inspect the car for you because they will know exactly what to look for and will explain it to you as you go. the worst that can happen is that the car is a lemon in which case you will have saved yourself some trouble or just maybe the car will be everything you want leading to a lifetime of "joy and happiness" Smiley Smiley Either way you will never know unless you have a go.

Hope this has not been too much like war and peace but I find myself with plenty of time on my hands at the moment.  Sad

Denis
surferboy
wa-club
Guru

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 10:33:01 PM »

Go for it Tenille Grin Grin Grin

Buy it.
Then cruise home with the windows down, Cool and the wind blowing through your hair, Cool with one arm hanging out the window and the other coooly resting on top of the steering wheel. Cool With Elvis (or Jerry Lee Lewis) cranking out of the stereo  Cool(or the transistor radio hanging off the rear view mirror). Smiling  Kiss and waving to all the admirers as you pass by Cool..the ones who WISH they were cruising in a cool FC.

You'll LOVE it...
Then you'll start looking for your second one......YOU"RE HOOKED  Grin

surferboy
 Cool Cool Cool
Sorry I can't offer any advice on engine stuff...I pay my mechanic $100/Hr to open the bonnet to check my oil. ( I must learn where that oil measuring stick thing is one day  Roll Eyes )

cruisin's great with a 58
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 12:07:24 AM »

Hey Tenille
Welcome to the world of early Holdens.
The thing about cars is that they are all expensive to repair, old or new.
Sure, some parts can be hard to find at times, but not impossible.
The beauty of an old Holden is that there is no expensive computers etc that can break down.
The down side is that they can take some getting used to.
There is no power steering, power windows, adjustable columns or seats etc.
Everything is 50 year old technology.
Once you have mastered the 3 on the tree, got used to the car wandering down the road and worked out that you need to leave a greater distance from the other cars in case you have to pull up suddenly, you will discover that driving truelly is an artform.
I bought my FC as a teen, with zero mechanical knowledge.
I joined a club, asked lots of questions and was willing to give it a go.
Many years later, I still find myself asking questions and giving things a go.
As Jack said, the enthusiasm is a big part of owning these cars.
I hope I have not come across too negative, I love my FC and would not swap it for the latest Ferrari!!!
Regards
Alex

DN2168
nsw-club

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »

Tenille,

Alex & Surferboy are right, once you own one of these classics you won't want to drive any of the plastic rubbish you see on the road again.

Dean.
Gordon
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 05:50:14 PM »

Hi this is a fantastic forum for beginners,having never done up a car before i find the Becoming real cars forum great. I spend hours reading what others are doing with there cars,mods, rust repairs so on.It gives you the drive to have a go at most things yourself .Its because of the unselfish people who answer all the questions that makes it great
Gordon
Champ58FC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 06:39:31 AM »

Hi there Tenille,

Look, I know stuff all about cars but have always loved classics.
My first FC is a very good example and if I need oil, or  whatever done I'll just go back to the previous owner and he helps me out.
Driving these are definitely an experience you will enjoy immensely. Three on the tree, grey motor sound, and don't forget the old car interior smell if you have the seats and everything else in there original...that's my favorite bit, the ol' interior smell lol

Good luck and just dive in. The water is perfect in the FE/FC world Cool

They sure don't make cars like they used to...
Tenille

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 05:13:45 PM »

You have all inspired me!

Watch this space, soon I will start looking for someone to come and check her out and see if she's all that is promised.

Gotta start somewhere
Wayne
nsw-club
Guru

I Love my FE

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 08:13:59 AM »

Hi
What area do you live in and where is the car located as somebody here may know the car
WAYNE
Hotlips
sa-club

I love my EFFEE

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 04:44:36 PM »

Cheesy Of course the next best thing (after you get the car) is to hook up with a mechanic for a boyfriend (or a panel beater/spray painter/auto electrician etc etc etc Cool Cool Wink Wink). YOU GO GIRL and join the rest of us girls who own and luuvvvv our cars. Grin Grin

I am woman, hear me ROAR - "vrrmm vrrmm"
Champ58FC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 11:37:32 AM »

Any updates Tenille??  Smiley

They sure don't make cars like they used to...
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 11:24:18 PM »

I really think just having even an old rusty FE in the driveway or garage is enough, doesn't really matter if you have one going, as long as you can sit in it, look at it and admire it's style and humble-ness-ness (just created a word), then it doesn't really matter if you can fix it in a hurry. You need to decide whether you are a true FC admirer (I would personally not go for a try hard American wanna be FC), go for the FE instead, a much more classy and civilised vehicle   Shocked

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Tenille

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 03:27:24 PM »

No updates yet. She is owned by a friend of a friend. So awaiting my mate to return from overseas (next couple of days) to put me in contact. Keep ya posted...

Gotta start somewhere
Rusty_T
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 11:48:41 AM »

Grin Grin

Tenille,

What the others have said is correct. Once you drive it you will love it. The only thing that will stop your smile is your ears. My wife drives "Her" FE Station Sedan  on most days and she loves the car. That car was restored by me over a period of around 6 years and it made its debut at the 12th FEFC nationals at Mt Gambia in 2008. Once I started the resto, back in about 2002, the bug bit, I was told of an FE sedan up for sale so we ( wife and I ) had a look at it. It was the right price and it came home with us. This was in 2003. Both cars are driven on a daily basis. The grand kids (4 yo twin boys) love the cars as well, and help wash them and don't mind a ride in the sedan (has seat belts fitted) either. We now have a 3rd member, a FC ute under resto at the moment, so I got the bug. When I started on these BUGgers, I had no idea what I was doing so I bought a workshop manual off e-bay and away I went. It's very rewarding once you finish the project, stand back and look at the finished product, and say to yourself, "self I did that".

Cheers and good luck,

Rusty and Rosalyn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: