FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 28, 2024, 07:24:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Gearbox hitting crossmember  (Read 5102 times)
AndyJ

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2010, 11:28:35 PM »

Does anyone have a FC in the ACT that is lowered and has a HR front end fitted I could come and take a look at? My gearbox is hitting against the crossmember every little bump I go over, the clearance between crossmember and the top of the box is only about 5mm.

Did anyone have to modify their engine/gearbox mounts when lowering or fitting a HR front end ?

My ute has a HR front end with a Grey & 3spd box.

I have had it suggested to raise the front engine mount, im not sure this is going to give me enough extra clearance at the back. it would be good to take a look at someone else's with a similar setup.

cheers

Andy
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 08:08:07 PM »

What outrigger is on the front of your HR crossmember?

Ken
AndyJ

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 11:47:11 PM »

If this crazy weather clears up tomorrow Ill get under her and take a few more close ups and post them.

here's 2. 

The gearbox also rubs at the front of the the trans tunnel. I have had the inspection plate off, the box rubs on the lip/flange where the screws hold the inspection plate in place when I start up, or rev it hard, so I am guessing the back of the transmission just needs to drop down about 10-15mm, to give it extra clearance, I'm just not sure the best way to go about it.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Andy
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 11:26:04 AM »

Andy, Is it possible you have used the rear engine mount plates (the part that bolts to the gear box) from another model ? for example, FE FC are different to EJ & I think Hydra-matic are different again, (taller or shorter)

Gary
mc54

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 02:29:38 PM »

Andy

Although mine has a stock front end, I had more or less the same problem. What I found is the outrigger rubber bushing was upside down. The hole is not in the center, one side is thicker than the other. When I turned mine over it changed the clearance. Perhaps this is what's causing your problem.

Mike
AndyJ

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 03:07:30 PM »

I took some snaps of the mounts and outrigger.

mc54, here's where mine is, the hole is at the top, can somone with a HR front end confirm which way up it should be?

the rear mount brackets

this last one shows the small clearance under the hump

GM

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 04:12:40 PM »

The rubber is fitted the right way.

Upon the hill there stood a cow.
It must have moved, It's not there now.
mc54

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 05:17:13 PM »

I just went down and looked at the car. I have mine in upside down.
The gearbox wasn't rubbing, I replaced the outrigger bushing, nothing else and then it was rubbing, so I flipped it around and it was fine.
Now I find that it is incorrectly installed, but works.

Would like to find an answer as well. May turn it back around this weekend and see what happens. All the other mounts are new, will let you know what the outcome is.

Mike
AndyJ

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 08:00:44 PM »

I got a couple of longer bolts for the front mount today and as a test stacked a half dozen washers under each one bumping the front up about 1/2 inch. Seems to have given me about the same extra clearnace at the back, I took her for a spin around the block and didnt have any bumping or grinding, so that seems to be getting there.

Only problem was I lost 2nd and 3rd gear as the slight raise changed the linkage length. Will have to play around adjusting the linkages tomorrow to get my other 2 gears back!

making progress

colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 11:14:06 PM »

Andy, I've got the same set up as you. You're welcome to have a look if you want. I'm in Chapman.

Colin.

colt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: