FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 27, 2024, 11:28:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: chopped FE/FC screens?  (Read 5862 times)
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« on: May 31, 2010, 10:56:19 AM »

Hello,

Just wondering if FE/FC screens can be cut down or do they need to be re-made if chopping a top.  

Cheers
Ed

in the shed
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 11:16:38 AM »

I would think they would be the same as any screen, apparently there is a bloke here in SA that can cut down FB/EK screens so FE/FC should be a doddle. PM Thommo on the FB/EK forum and he might shed a bit more light.

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 11:20:21 AM »

Thanks Stinky,

will PM thommo.

I'm guessing an FE screen would be easily do-able then!

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
brett_f

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 04:35:25 PM »

Ed,
A mate of mine had an EH chop top about 30 years ago. Anyone who would attempt cuttings these down all said that if they break them cutting them down, this would be added to the cost. Luckily for him they didn't break any. You might want to keep this in mind.

Regards Brett
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 07:06:13 PM »

I do not have the five axis head on my water jet but there are mobs in melbourne that do i cut laminated glass last week absaloutley perfect it was flat you will need 5 axis to go round corners
Any glass shop should be able to do it good enough we use to cut before the water jet with the local mob they scored it either side and heated it up to loosen the glue.

pete

ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 09:24:12 PM »

ED they can cut any laminated screen FE/FC should be fairly easy what the big drama cutting them is the curve in the screen FB/EK having a shocker of a curve is the drama with them though it can and has been done, they can also grind them
like somebody above said most guys have an hourly rate and then you pay per screen that breaks, if they do it in one yor laughing if it takes 5 it starts to suck

i have a mate that's doing a chopped '51 chev the flukey bastard cut the old original laminated screens with just a thin 4" angle grinder blade
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 08:00:49 AM »

Thanks guys for the informative response.

I've never cut glass, just thinking about doing some things in the future.

cutting glass with a grinder eh ratbox, wow, who would have thought it was possible.
Cheers

Ed

in the shed
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 08:57:57 AM »

Ed there is a far bit of info if you google cutting windscreens even a guy who used a Dremal and a diamond blade , and another who sand blasted his windscreen to chop it ..I have cut laminated glass with a glass cutter and some metho to light to melt the plastic that the glass is laminated to but only flat glass..The front should be no problems but because they don't make rears yet in laminated glass I think this would have to be ground down ....FC427....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 03:35:23 PM »

Hi Mark,

thanks I googled, found and read it.  It seems there is no hard and fast rule except don't over heat it. 

I've never been able to cut glass for any purpose, although i'm now thinking sanding the edges down with a sanding disc on a grinder used gently could work.  Or perhaps a sanding belt attachment on a bench grinder?

will have a go and see what happens when the time comes.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 01:42:34 PM »

ed,
there is a guy in mascot that can cut em.fb steve around the corner (if ya know him)reckons he does all windscreens etc a piece a piss

The grinder is mightier than the sword.
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »

ed,
there is a guy in mascot that can cut em.fb steve around the corner (if ya know him)reckons he does all windscreens etc a piece a piss

Are you talking about Ralph Moore Huh Huh .....FC427....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 11:17:38 PM »

that sounds like him,have i been hearing rumours?haha

The grinder is mightier than the sword.
oldjohnno

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 07:10:47 AM »

Anyone planning to grind or cut glass with an abrasive wheel should do it wet  and/or wear a dust mask or respirator.
Glass dust in your lungs is very bad news.

Jackass of all trades...
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 09:38:05 AM »

Ed you could try Peter at Glass Benders he made the screens for WILDCAD  as an alternative to chopping your screens .....FC427....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: