FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:14:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rack Conversion Completed...Steering too Light!  (Read 15030 times)
2door350

Model: FE

RAT 059

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2010, 03:30:33 PM »

Hi,

has anyone else put in a rack and found it too light afterwards?  I Used a rear mounted rack kit from V6 conversions....Got it going last night....Its so light in the steering now its not funny....any solutions?

cheers

2door350
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 03:47:58 PM »

Just a thought, the length of the steering arms used would make a difference.
Longer arms = lighter steering and less lock,
shorter arms = heavier steering and more lock?
 Huh

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 03:57:16 PM »

I have the same set up and it's good not to light what size steering wheel and road wheels do you run  Huh Huh...FC427....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
2door350

RAT 059

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 04:02:33 PM »

its running 205/60/14's on the front and im using an ek column and wheel...
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 04:09:15 PM »

Can't see a problem I run 205 / 40 / 17 EH column 13" sports wheel ....Has it been wheel aligned Huh? .....FC427....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
GM

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 04:30:06 PM »

I'm with sgo, what steering arms are you using?

Upon the hill there stood a cow.
It must have moved, It's not there now.
2door350

RAT 059

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 04:31:37 PM »

standard hr arms
GM

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »

Hq, hx etc. power steering arms are much shorter. 90mm from tie rod hole to first mounting hole compared with hr at about 125. Probably would ring Pat Gardiner for advice. (let your tyres down to 15 psi Cheesy)

Cheers Glenn

NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 05:02:29 PM »

The "little van" uses rear mounted Commdore rack with LC/LJ Torana steering arms. They are the shortest of the Holden steering arms and give us about three turns lock to lock and nice steering feel.  I might narrow the rack housing a smidgen (special metiric term that equates to about 10mm) as we dont quite have the standard turning circle.  I should have done a bit more geometry analysis before I picked up the hacksaw and welder.  Please note the outer tie rod end position is higher compared with other steering arms and the rack position will need changing to make sure you dont get bump steer.

In addition to this I have designed in 3.5 degrees of positive caster into the static alignment which also increases steering effort/feel and high speed stability.  Caster is especially important and will change the steering effort.  As Mark says you may want to check your initial wheel alignment settings before changing anything else.

regards

Vanhelsing.   

NosFEratu
NIFFTY

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 06:38:22 PM »

I think you answered your own problem when you mentioned Pat Gardiner,every thing I purchased from him had to be modified
2door350

RAT 059

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 06:54:25 PM »

thanks for all your help.

The kit did look good but wasn't as easy (is i ever Grin) as it should have been to fit.  Had to lower the bottom of the column about two inches or so to get correct angle on intermediate shaft so uni didn't foul...also had to strip front end to weld on rack brackets.  I think i'll try a good wheel alignment first and if it doesn't fix it maybe trial some different arms....its heaps, heaps lighter than my FPV Fords (ssshhh!) power rack at the moment...

FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 07:11:22 PM »

wheel alignment will shed a lot more light on it i reckon.

They are probably not toeing in enough does it dart around on the road at all?

you cant really do much until you get a good wheel aligment which can be harder than you think i only ever trusted 1 bloke birminghams at edgeworth and he is gone.
My Fc runs front mount LX (shithouse) 225/50/16 hr standard arms its fairly light but wheel alingment made a lot of difference andf i run a FC stocko wheel.

GM

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 07:25:12 PM »

I thought these front ends were supposed to be the ducks nuts?.................has to better than crs?

2door350

RAT 059

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 09:41:13 PM »

runs straight on the road, steering self centers pretty well, have toe in set at 2mm at the moment (my best measurement!) what wheel alignment specs should i be aiming for?  aside from toe in obviously, i havn't changed anything else so i figured my old alignment should be reasonable at worst...
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 10:28:24 PM »

As John has said, caster is critical to the lightness of the steering. If you have negative caster the thing will just about steer itself, similiar to a shopping trolley.....

Check the alignment

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
2door350

RAT 059

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 06:28:48 PM »

ok...just had a wheel alignment done - here are the new settings....still pretty light

caster left 2.2 deg
caster right 2.2 deg

toe left 0.3 mm
toe right 0.3 mm
total 0.6mm

camber left -1.0 deg
camber right 0.8 deg

(they didn't touch the camber yet - left as prior)

chrisfc

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 09:08:56 PM »

Easy fix. Drop in a big block chev and fit a smaller steering wheel... Grin
ehsv6

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 04:28:10 PM »

Have V6 conversions kit in my EH, it is light but I don't mind that, but its taken a while to get used to the 5 turns lock to lock, other conversions (Rods Racks) uses HQ power steering arms.  This will reduce the lock to lock and increase the effort.  Problem the arms are bent differently so the height of the tie rod changes therefore meaning that rack ends are not parallel to the lower wishbones, therefore bump steer may result.  I've got some dropped stub axles to go on, they have a second lower mounting point for the steering arms so I'm hoping that will minimize any problems.  Cheers Keith
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: