FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 04:30:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Getting ready for the Nats  (Read 10272 times)
cajerridoc
sa-club

Model: FE and FC

WHAT TO DRIVE TODAY?

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2010, 01:33:03 AM »

I took the Sophie Lee , so named by my friend and restorer as the car is Castle Grey, for a service 3 and a half weeks ago and she is still is not back.

She was blowing some smoke after a down hill run and the oil light came on when braking sometimes. We thought the valve seals might be suspect. No 1 had the seal changed OK but 2 and 3 had bubbles appearing in the radiator from the compressed air used to hold the valves up. So head off, sump off, pistons out. Sump full of sludge, oil pump worn, ring gaps too big, No 5's ring gaps all lined up in a row, head gasket had it, head to be faced, No 3 bore rusty and we could not find anyone with rings for a 132.

So if we manage to get her all back together Sophie will be bringing us to the nationals as planned. If not, back to the drawing board.

Robin

The sticker says "I'd rather push my Ford than drive a Holden". I agree, I'd rather they pushed their Ford than drive MY Holdens!
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 08:49:46 AM »

Robin,

Bad luck on the engine, I hope that you get it sorted in time, but better to find it now than on the side of the road halfway between SA and Orange

Good luck with it

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
NosFEratu
Guru

Model: FE

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 10:02:28 AM »

Hope it gets sorted in time for you Robin - but - you do have a couple of others to choose from in worst case scenario!  Wink Having said that, we do know it's like to have your heart set on something and then feel like it might not eventuate. Best of luck with it.

Kathi

NosFEratu
Trevor_B
vic-club

Model: FC

Melbourne VIC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 10:10:57 AM »

Hi Robin,
Check this Ebay item:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/grey-motor-piston-rings_W0QQitemZ130374141072QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1e5ae78490

Trevor_B

FC Sedan, Ute & Wagon .... only a Panel Van required to make the set
cajerridoc
sa-club

WHAT TO DRIVE TODAY?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 09:52:09 AM »

Thanks guys. I am pretty sure that the old girl will be going.

I have had a look at the ebay ring set and whilst it would be handy it is listed as local pick up only.

Robin

The sticker says "I'd rather push my Ford than drive a Holden". I agree, I'd rather they pushed their Ford than drive MY Holdens!
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 10:04:22 AM »

Thanks guys. I am pretty sure that the old girl will be going.

I have had a look at the ebay ring set and whilst it would be handy it is listed as local pick up only.

Robin
It says post to Australia on the listing

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
GOA350
vic-club

FE's are great when they've got a V8

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 10:19:38 AM »

Bad luck with the engine Robin, hey. Hope the repairs go smoothly for you, i think that you might need to bore it and put in 138 pistons because i don't think they make 132 piston and ring sets anymore. BTW while you are at it you should have hardened inserts put into the exhaust valve seats to help with the running on Unleaded.
Cheers Scott

PS look forward to seeing you and the wagon in Orange
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 01:29:47 PM »

Leave the stocky at home Robin.

See you at Orange

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Maco
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 02:10:17 PM »

Robin

Hi Robin,

I can pick these up for you and send them in an overnight satchell for you if you wish.

You can send me an email to: john@remtronnsw.com.au

John

Better in Green
cajerridoc
sa-club

WHAT TO DRIVE TODAY?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 06:18:28 PM »

The parts including a set of rings, possibly made to order, have arrived and it should be going together today, all going well.

Thanks John for the offer to pick up the rings and I still may take you up on that as I may find myself in this position again with such a fleet of cars if that is OK.

Under seller's payment instructions it says: "contact within 48 hours of close or item will be relisted pickup only payment through bank deposit or cash on pickup" I have asked him anyway if he will post them.

Thanks again and see you all in Orange. The town not the colour.

Robin

Maco
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 08:54:07 PM »

Robin,

Not a problem, just let me know.

John

Better in Green
cajerridoc
sa-club

WHAT TO DRIVE TODAY?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 03:47:58 PM »

Thanks John. The guy has replied that he will post items after all.

Robin

cajerridoc
sa-club

WHAT TO DRIVE TODAY?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »

The Sophie Lee is back together and going. Now to run it in and go to Orange. Oh yes, and pay for it.

Robin

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 05:01:16 PM »

Good stuff Robin. Looking forward to seeing you and Sophie in a couple of weeks.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 12:49:51 AM »

Robin,

Good on you for being able to get it done in time, i too look forward to meeting you in Orange

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
cajerridoc
sa-club

WHAT TO DRIVE TODAY?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 07:15:19 PM »

Made it home all OK today apart from one hell of a cold that started Monday night and is still getting worse. Only car problem was an arm fell off the wiper motor. The Nationals were great. 2 laps of Bathurst. Excellent!
Robin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: