FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 30, 2024, 12:01:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Oil pressure light on  (Read 17892 times)
AndyJ

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2010, 06:41:44 AM »

Hi all,

I think I have clogged the feeder pipe in the sump, or the oil pump is history. Can I get the sump off a Grey without pulling the engine?

cheers

Andy
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 08:23:48 AM »

Never had pull off a grey sump in situ but guess it would be possible if the engine mounts were undone, jack the engine up keeping an eye on stetchable,bendable,breakable engine components and assesories.

Have done it, only just, with a 350 in a HQ in situ using same procedure.

Have you made sure that it isn't a faulty pressure switch or grounded wire?? Would save you a lot of time if it was only just a faulty switch, as it's quite a common reason for the oil light staying on.Also in a well used engine at very low idle speed sometimes the oil light can come on at idle especially if engine is hot and oil is thinner in viscosity.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 04:17:51 PM »

Yes, easy to get sump off with engine in place, don't recall even lifting motor.
Once did a piston change this way without moving engine block, gearbox, radiator etc.

The biggest stumbling block in this job is with the flat screw driver needed to remove/replace cover plate screws.
The screw driver has to be big, short and stubby, to fit in and get enough purchase.
I was lucky, I was doing the job in our large old wagon and shearing shed, and used a 'special' screw driver used by shearers to tighten the comb on the machine's handpiece. It was designed for applying high torque in greasy conditions - just perfect for a grey motor sump removal.
This screw driver was also great for going around and nipping up all the sump and sideplate screws after a rebuild. You would be surprised at how many srews are loose!
Geoff
CraigA
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 04:52:19 PM »

^^^^

Just use a screwdriver with a hexagonal shaft.

You can then use a spanner to provide the extra torque needed.

Why couldn't you connect an oil pressure gauge into the engine and confirm what's happening? Easier than pulling an engine down for no reason.

Or as a quick check I'd be pulling the rocker cover off first and running the engine. Is there oil coming to the top end? If so then you'd guess that there's adequate pressure.
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 07:39:50 PM »

As a starting point it would be easy to pull the oil pressure  switch of and the spark plugs out and crank it over to see if any oil comes out, with out running the engine just it in case it has no oil supply and causing damage by running the engine  .....FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 09:19:32 PM »

yes check it's not the switch or earth problem, i drove from lapstone to bathurst over a hundred k's with my oil light on Shocked figured after the first 5 to 10k's must still have oil pressure Grin but it was a long drive with my sfinkter clenched tightly listening for strange noises, at bathurst stopped for fuel oil light went out at restart and never had the problem again   
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 08:01:15 AM »

sounds like you had it wired up to your fuel sender ratbox  Cheesy

I thought the oil pressure light was the "oops... too late" light.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 04:21:34 PM »

Another thing that can done to test oil pump capacity/pressure, is to remove distributor, and then with a shaft with a 'distributor like tongue' at the base, mounted on a variable speed electric drill run the oil pump and monitor the pressure with the gauge as recommended by CraigA.
If you remove the gauge (or 'T' it off) you can also establish the volume of oil that is being pumped, and if a restrictor is placed on the end of the line, you can see how much oil is being pumped as you increase the back pressure on the system.
If your drill runs at 1500 rpm, then this equals motor at 3000 rpm - a reasonable pump (with cold oil) should hold 22 psi and pump 2.5 - 2.75 litres/minute.
Geoff 
AndyJ

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 05:10:03 PM »

I think this was my own doing, I should have left the old oil in there!

I drove the car from Tassie back to Canberra (via the ferry) with no problems, and thought I would change the oil before heading up the coast for Xmas.  I got just north of Goulburn near Marulan when the light came on, about 120km. It just flickered once and stayed on.

Thanks for the help, I will try some of this out on the weekend

Andy
AndyJ

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 08:07:15 AM »

Whats the chances of the sensor being bad, it looks brand new, the car has only done 1200 miles since Fast Eddies restoration.

I will try hand cranking the engine without the plugs, and get a pressure gauge and rule this out first.

Andy
FB_MAD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 08:29:03 AM »

Don't ever think that a newish looking oil pressure switch can be in working condition.I've had brand new ones leak oil and oil light on when there is nothing wrong with the engine.

Before you try and find an oil pressure guage just do as others have suggested and undo the oil pressure switch,take coil lead off and crank engine over to see if oil pumps out.If oil pumps out then its a good indication that the pump is okay.Or take the rocker cover off as has been suggested already and start the engine.Look to see if there is oil slowly pumping out of the rocker bleed holes, again, a good indication that the pump is at least working and pumping oil.

surferboy
wa-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 03:48:27 PM »

Andy
Don't know if I'm any help

My oil pressure light always flashed on as soon as i pulled up at the first set of traffic lights after driving any long distance. But mine would then go out as soon as you start moving

My mechanic stopped putting u beaut modern oil in it and went back to using treacle and problem went away

He said it wasn't a problem, just the new oils thinned out when hot (or something like that ?? It was along time ago, when I had the grey motor....   I think.....and I'm not good at remembering mechanical stuff)

Cool Cool Cool

cruisin's great with a 58
FB_MAD

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 05:52:34 PM »

Andy
Don't know if I'm any help

My oil pressure light always flashed on as soon as i pulled up at the first set of traffic lights after driving any long distance. But mine would then go out as soon as you start moving

My mechanic stopped putting u beaut modern oil in it and went back to using treacle and problem went away

He said it wasn't a problem, just the new oils thinned out when hot (or something like that ?? It was along time ago, when I had the grey motor....   I think.....and I'm not good at remembering mechanical stuff)

Cool Cool Cool

Yep, thinner viscosity modern oils, a hot engine and a low idle speed can cause the light to either come on constantly or flicker at idle but if it flickers at higher engine speeds or stays on you will have to investigate further.Sometimes just changing to a higher grade oil and engine idle speed adjustment if it is a bit low can solve the problem but if you suspect a faulty pump then by all means test to see if that is the fault.

AndyJ

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 07:34:37 PM »

Don't ever think that a newish looking oil pressure switch can be in working condition.I've had brand new ones leak oil and oil light on when there is nothing wrong with the engine.

Before you try and find an oil pressure guage just do as others have suggested and undo the oil pressure switch,take coil lead off and crank engine over to see if oil pumps out.If oil pumps out then its a good indication that the pump is okay.Or take the rocker cover off as has been suggested already and start the engine.Look to see if there is oil slowly pumping out of the rocker bleed holes, again, a good indication that the pump is at least working and pumping oil.

Yep, pulled the plugs and oil switch out and cranked it over this afternoon, not even a drop to be seen coming out.

Bummer.

FB_MAD

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 08:29:31 PM »

OK then it can be taken that there is an internal problem since you've now found the pump doesn't appear to be working.

gp

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 04:50:45 PM »

Have you checked that the Distributor is fitted properly, as the distributor drives the oil pump??
AndyJ

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 05:31:47 PM »

Distributor was working fine, I pulled it out, looks brand new.

Anyone in Canberra have an engine hoist I can borrow to get the engine out? unfortunately my garage has a gyp rock ceiling so I can't lift it with a b&t.

I wouldn't mind a second opinion on the pump problem once I get the engine out if anyone in the ACT has some time?

Thanks everyone for the advice so far. I cant believe she is off the road already, haven't even had her a month yet! Here's a pic from when we got off the ferry from Tasmania, the drive home made for a fun road trip.

Andy
fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 01:45:26 AM »

Rather than crank the engine over for too long without oil pressure. Remove distributor and oil pressure switch.Fit oil pressure gauge. Fit an old distributor shaft minus the gear to a drill and turn the oil pump. If you don't have a gauge watch for oil coming out of the oil pressure switch gallery. If you have no oil squirting out the fault may be the oil pump or a blockage. You can also watch for oil at the rocker shafts if you decide not to remove the oil pressure switch.
This is a great way to prime an engine to ensure instant oil pressure.

Regards Seb

Yellow Knight

colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 09:01:05 AM »

PM sent.

colt
gp

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 03:49:07 PM »

Andy, Although your distributor may be working fine, if it's not installed correctly it won't be driving the oil pump. I suggest you try Seb's idea.

Cheers,

Graham
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: