FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 08:58:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tough Decision  (Read 11620 times)
mc54

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2009, 08:57:58 AM »

I really would like some opinions on this.

Chances are pretty good that I am going to move from Sydney to my place on the Sunshine Coast. Not definite yet but more than likely.
The question is do I take the FC with me or sell it.
My place in Queensland is around 60 metres from the beach. Even though the car will be kept in a garage, what are its chances of survival?
How long before the salt in the air turns my baby into a pile of rust?
It was also suggested by a friend that it would be easier to sell in Sydney and I would probably get a higher price?HuhHuh?? Not sure about that.

I'm kinda torn up on this one. I didn't spend all that time, effort and yes, money, just to sell it again. But...........
The decision will have to be made soon. Now if you will excuse me, I am going to the garage to give my old Holden a hug.

Mike
hrpremier

Model: other Holden

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 09:38:48 AM »

Mike.

I bought my FC from a bloke in Rollingstone, 20 mins north of Townsville and his property was within 100m from the waters edge.  It sat in his barn for approx 6 years unused, and before that was in Cairns, unused for 22 years as when I got it the rego label expired in May 1980.

I have started to strip it and so far have been pleasently surprised in the little amount of rust I have come across.  Maybe with the humidity up here it helps with salt in the air.

My HR Premier I restored would take a lot more than a move interstate for me to part with it.

If maintained and you are aware of the problems you may come across, drown it in fish oil every 6 months and happy motoring.

Jase

http://gallery.oldholden.com/hrpremier/

I Have A Fever ............... And The Only Prescription ............... Is More Cowbell

http://gallery.oldholden.com/hrpremier/
mc54

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 10:17:45 AM »

Thanks Jase

I was hoping that someone on the forum could help with these questions.

Some fish oil is already in and much more to go.

Mike
pedro
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 12:14:09 PM »

G'day Mike, I live in Hervey bay and you can't leave anything outside here or it turns to rust real fast so i know what you mean, if you keep your car garaged when you aren't driving it and maintain it properely(washing, polishing etc.) you won't have a problem, it's leaving them out in the elements that kills them, a mate left a 50's chev pickup at my place three years ago, drove it in and parked it, no rust, could have driven it down and got it registered, now it's stuffed huge rust bubbles all over it Sad, my wagon sat in the shed for four years before i started and it was still in the same condition as when i parked it there.
Your FC sounds like a nice car so if you're happy with it keep it, they are only going to get harder to find and more expensive, as far as prices go you would get much more for it in Sydney though, there is a much bigger market there and people have more money to spend.
                                             Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
mc54

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 12:42:04 PM »

Thanks Pedro

My FC is in what you would call "original" condition. That is, for a 50 year old car.
The selling for less money part doesn't worry me that much, it never was about money. It was about resurrecting an old car.

What would disturb me is watching my car waste away. Slowly.

Mike

pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 01:01:41 PM »

What would disturb me is watching my car waste away. Slowly.

Me too, I hate seeing any old cars go to waste, better get out the fisholene then Wink
                         Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 01:07:46 PM »

Mike,

My father lives about 50 metres form the beach, as long as it is under cover (garaged) it will be OK, Leave it to the elements and it will disappear in no time. Dad had a Datsun 1200 ute that he left out while he was building his house. It took two years before it failed registration due to the massive amount of rust. There wasn't a single panel that could be saved. Dad likes Datsun 1200 utes so he bought another, now 12 years later no rust, but it is garaged every day without fail.

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 04:14:06 PM »

The problem is really 'humidity'.
A coastal climate tends to many more days with 'high humidity'.
The closer you are to the sea, the greater the salt content within the humidity.
Salt and water rust bare metal FAST.
As the temperature rises, the amount of actual water (and salt) carried by the air increases, until at 100% humidity you get rain, or dew.  Thus a car exposed to hot humid air, over the same time, gets the equivalent rust exposure to a car continually being 'rained' on in a colder climate.
In a cold, dry climate (that is where there is normally low humidity) do not rust if kept out of the 'rain'. eg in western NSW - open hay sheds with 2 open sides provide adequate storage conditions for slightly rusty old cars
The same car will deteriorate (ie rust) at the same rate on the coast in Qld, if it could be kept in a draft free sealed garage or shed.
What you have to do is have almost 'zero' air changes per hour, and keep the air contained within the room at a low humidity.
To stop the 'musky' smells associated with sealed up rooms, there has to be some air changes. If measuring tools are available - the air should be changed only when the air is cool and the humidity low - thus minimising the amount of 'water' being carried by the air (that can rust the car)
This is why a rust free car, kept clean and dry in a well sealed garage in a salty sea location will last quite well, whereas a car with some rust parked outside, or in an open carport will disintergrate to dust while you watch.
Get a sealed garage, and keep the car.
No garage, no car!
Geoff
Martin

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 04:24:08 PM »

My car, which is in original condition, lived on the esplanade at Grange beach (Adelaide) for 30 years of its life - directly across the road from the beach with a good dose of westerlies blowing straight off the sea.  It's had rust repairs at the headlight peaks, but that's all.  It really is in excellent condition for its age and history.

Obviously it was garaged.  Apart from that, I can only surmise that it was washed regularly to keep the salt spray off it.

Now if you will excuse me, I am going to the garage to give my old Holden a hug.

Mike. if you're into hugging your car, then don't divorce her just because you are moving.  You'll regret it, I'm sure.  Keep it, garage it, wash it, give it a protective coat of polish a couple of times a year, and continue to enjoy owning the best car ever made.

If, in the long term, it does begin to suffer because of where you are living, then make the decision to sell it at that time.  Don't make the decision now before you know what the outcome might be.

Regards,

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
mc54

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 05:35:31 PM »

Thanks all

It would be a shame to part with it before I am ready.

It looks like fish oil and a garage is the answer. Doesn't look too good for my daily driver though.
Oh well, can't have everything.

Thanks Again
Mike
maybeonedayillgetanFC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 11:57:20 AM »

mike,

my folks live on sunshine coast at mooloolaba, right opposite the beach, and let me tell you, that no matter what you do, your baby will suffer, no matter what you do. my dad is somewhat obsessed with his cars, and always washes, oils, polishes, does all the right things and the things still rust. i have met some old timers that also live there and they are car heads as well, and cant keep on top of it
the colorbond garage doors still rust, even the stainless steel fridge shows signs of pitting, true, and the curtains and carpets inside always need replacing, and the bricks even seem to be chaulky and its not just their place, even the neighbours have constant maintenance, unfortunately its just the price you pay for living by the beach.
mc54

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 03:17:59 PM »

Thats more or less what I thought might happen. I am in the building industry and I see what salt air does to aluminium doors and windows. Not pretty.
I have been looking at Carcoons lately. If I fill the car with fish oil and store it in a Carcoon inside a garage..................

Had another offer to buy my car - well kinda. Its the one that goes "If you ever want to sell it let me know". Thats the second time within a month.
The first was my mechanic.
Today it was the fellow that mixed me up a litre of Royal Marine. He liked the fact that it is pretty much an untouched vehicle, warts and all.
Neither suggested a price though, a firm dollar amount is the sign that someone is serious. And somehow I don't think what they had in mind dollar wise, and I would want, were the same.
But it was still flattering that at least a couple of people appreciate what I have tried to do.

Regards
Mike

FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 05:20:13 PM »

When my old man fish oils cars for people he mixes 1/2 tectyl 1/2 fishoil seems to stick better still stinks like crap but works well especially shoot it in the sills and in my fc he drilled a hole in the boot area on either side of the rail so it dribbled down.

mc54

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 05:53:54 PM »

Haven't heard of Tectyl before, will have to look into that. Anything to avoid rusting my baby out.

Regards

Mike
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 05:58:39 PM »

Cavity wax also works great most European cars such as [BMW Mercedes  etc } car use this as a rust inhibitor .......FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
WIGGSFC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 09:00:18 PM »

sell the house on the coast and buy another fc [that would work for me ]lol shame to let your pride and joy suffer . browny
FCwagon
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 08:13:43 AM »

Hey Mike,
I lived on the Gold Coast for 11 years and found the best way to preserve your car is to keep it clean, dry and in a garage. It's a good idea to give the inside of the doors, floors and boot wells a good dose of fisholene to protect from any water leaks. The new Fisholene has some sort of wax mix to help it stick around & is supposed to be low odour but don't believe that. If you use it, make sure you do it outside (or at someone elses place) otherwise the garage will be pongy for ages.
cheers,
Leigh

Red & white is alright
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »

Living 100m from the water, facing south, I have come to know how hostile Mother Nature can be... We get smashed by southerlys carrying the salt straight off the water... last night no exception.

Anything outside just gets destroyed by the salt and humidity.. Salt has a catalyst effect on aging for everything.  What would normally last 10 years will last no more than 5, sometimes less.  Even the stainless steel corrodes (316 grade gets a light oxidiation).  Powder coat will last months at best, aluminium just goes to powder.

our brand new TV antenna lasted 4 years, before becoming paper thin and collapsing.

so what about the cars?

garage works significantly well to protect them, however my ute outside needs to be washed weekly regardless, the bumper bar polished fortnightly and any scratches touched up immediately.

fishoil every 6 months as well..

I was lucky the wagon was 100% Por15'd inside, out, exterior.  2K paint survives salt provided it is not scratched. 

I have experimented on some steel garden furniture using POR15 and 2K paints and 18months with no washing and still holding up well.. restored from a rusted piece of furniture using POR products.

my advice.. keep the FC inside and lots of polish up to the chrome.  I used POR15 Glisten PC on some chrome but would not recommend it.. it works but it's extremely difficult to achieve a good finish... if anybody has used Glisten PC with good results please let me know how!

Don't be scared off to store the FC near water, just house and maintain it well.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
mc54

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 10:08:48 AM »

From the replies to my question, it looks like I can keep my car as long as I keep up the fish oil and cleaning. That should not be a problem.
I do like the suggestion of selling the unit, downgrading to something smaller and buying another FC.
A Ute would be nice.  Grin

Thanks All, feel much better about it now

Mike
WIGGSFC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 08:15:36 PM »

GOOD TO HEAR YOU ARE KEEPING THE OLD GIRL I REGRET SELLING MY LAST FC                                             REGARDS BROWNY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: