FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:36:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Here we go again!!!  (Read 123833 times)
FCV08

Model: FC

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2012, 08:16:25 PM »

Just a qucik update on where i am up to.

RE WIRING THE WHOLE BLOODY CAR Huh Huh Huh

Toady I have nearly finished the engine bay.

Had to work out how to mount the alternator a little bit higher to clear the inner guard.
I designed a mounting plate that allowed me to rotate the alternator a little bit higher.

As Pete (aka FC Hoon) is a little too far away I sussed out an engineering firm in Toowoomba who cut it off a cardborad template.

For any of you fellas out ther if you need one I can get one made for around $45 per plate.

Will post some photos shortly.

Cheers

Craig D
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2012, 05:21:48 PM »

Hi Craig;
Where did you get your fuel lines made or did you buy material and bend them up yourself if so what size material. Anybody else have ideas I am at the point of running my lines from the VP fuel tank to the V6 I have a set of commodore lines but being prebent they are hard to reform or are they able to be annealed and reused.
Yeh I know lots of questions but need the help.
Don't mean to steal the thread Craig but your lines are so nicley laid out.

Regards
Neil H
FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2012, 05:55:23 PM »

Neil

I did attempt to use the original lines but ended up making my own after much sweat and tears.  Oh how I wish I had a rotisserie. Cheesy Cheesy

I used 8mm or 5/16. I bought a cheap double flaring tool kit from Super Cheap and half flare the ends to bell out for extra grip on the tube.
Also bought a multi pipe bender (1/4, 5/16 and 3/8). If you still have the donor car grab the tube mounting brackets as well as they are very handy when mounting and insulating the lines.
The tube I have used is mild steel and a little difficult to bend. I did get my hands on some lighter tubing that was way easier to bend and flare. I went back to the same shop and they had run out and only had the thick wall stuff. Huh Huh Huh

I will try and get some photos of the fuel lines up into the engine bay as I have relocated the inline filter between the engine and firewall and return line in and around the steering mount plate

I have also done a similar layout, utilising these insulated mounts, with the transmisson cooler lines along the subframe legs to the front subframe.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Craig D
FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2012, 06:11:30 PM »

Neil

Something else I came across when setting up my custom made tank was the fact that the fuel return line drops fuel directly onto the internal fuel pump to cool it.

I had to go and make some adjustments to the tank to allow me to relocate the line to the appropiate spot.

It was an educated guess which was spot on.

Cheers

Craig D
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2012, 07:13:08 PM »

I thought it drops directly onto the pump as its in the swirl pot to get that last drop of fuel into the pump and to keep it always swimming in juice.??

FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2012, 07:48:39 PM »

Hoon

It could be a combination of both as when the fuel gets low there is not enough up around the pump body to cool it. When fitting the pump  the base of the pump was sitting about 15mm off the bottom of the fuel tank at an angle and the top of the pump was about 100mm above the tank bottom.

When the return lines sends it back it would run off the pump housing into the swirl pot.

Thanks for your comments as all is good for my progress.

Cheers

Craig D

FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2012, 08:47:59 PM »

Why were you sideways sir eeer to keep the fuel pump cool officer. Grin

JB
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2012, 09:24:36 AM »

I re used the original VT fuel lines, straightened them carefully with a block of wood and small taps with a hammer so not to kink the lines... Then re bent with a pipe bender. Not perfect but not a show car.
Cheers
JB

Phone +64 223509263
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2012, 03:35:05 PM »

Thanks guys great answers as always. I think I will try to straighten the original lines first and see how I go as I'm trying to stay on budget which isn't much not that a budget seems to matter when trying to build a car if you ever tried to add it all up you would never do it again.

I did get the rubber mounting blocks Craig and am going to use them, it was one of the things that I liked about your set up it certainly keeps them nice and neat.

If I can't straighten the originals satisfactorily I will go to the brake shop and get some of their line as it is very easy to bend.

Look forward to some more photos when you get a chance Craig.

Your right JB my car was never built to be a show car either so I am not trying to be anal about them just don't want them to be all over the place and with the position of the return pipe because I'm using the standard VP tank and in tank pump I have not altered the position of the line so hopefully no issues there.
Regards
Neil H
FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2012, 09:57:24 PM »

Work has been kinda busy so progress has not been too fast

I did have trouble with the alternator being too low so I designed a mounting plate that allows the alternator to be moved inwards and upwards from its original position. Belt needed to be a little longer but it all fits and works. I did have to mod the top alternator mount by around 5mm to move it forward. The mounting plate was laser cut from a cardboard template. (how easy is that and only $40 Wink Wink Wink)

It has all fitted in well.

Now to the wiring side of things.

Engine side not so bad

Then comes the inside

And the reliable VN Wiring diaghrams.

Here is a preview of the body colour with some of the bling fitted

Having a crack at the thermo fan install.

Will post a few more photos as I progress.

Cheers

Craig D
JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2012, 12:44:33 AM »

The wiring just never ends!!! Had to cut and splice another 15 yesterday myself on the engine harness! At least yours is in colour. Not long now you will have it running.
Cheers
JB

Phone +64 223509263
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2012, 06:50:20 PM »

Looks great Craig. Work does seem to get in the way. Your making progress.

Rgds

Wayne b
FC 304 wannabe

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2012, 04:24:52 PM »

hi Craig,
I can see in your pictures that you have had a custom rear sway bar done by fulcrum suspensions in Brisbane.
which store was it? It is exactly what I need for my project.
did you get a Commodore unit modified, or a complete new unit made?
thanks,
Shannon.
FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2012, 04:33:10 PM »

Shane

Nick was the contact at Hillcrest (07) 3800 7306

email =  nickc@fulcrumsuspensions.com.au

I used my old FC swaybar (aftermarket) and then taped the correct profile, made from a piece of wire, to shape around the diff centre.

Not sure whether they still have it on file.

Hope this helps

Regards

Craig D
FC 304 wannabe

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2012, 05:04:03 PM »

thanks mate, nick is looking into it for me.....
with all the other hurdles to overcome with these builds, it would be great to get out of this one this easy....

FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2012, 05:05:06 PM »

I still have the invoice on file so if Nick reuqires it let me know.

regards

Craig D
FE 4 ME
qld-club

"A Sweet Sensation"

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2012, 05:19:07 PM »

You're doin a great job, with very practical ways to overcome problems. we all can learn and be encouraged with every issue we come across..where there's a will, there is a way !!!

good work mate, thankx for taking the time to post your build

FE 4 ME

$$$ Parts Catalogue 1948-1969 for sale ONLY $15 $$ all Money goes to the FE/FC Club QLD PM Me to get this great Catalogue
FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2012, 10:07:18 PM »

Guess who got the engine started tonight? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Cheesy Cheesy

A little loud with only the extractors but boy what a sound and Oh what a feeling. Grin Grin Grin

Will post a few more photos soon.

Thanks

Craig D

JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2012, 08:41:20 AM »

Where's the vid???

Phone +64 223509263
FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2012, 09:05:45 PM »

JB will work out the video upload later.

Was looking for the headlight buckets for the front speakers and came across what I thought was an inexpensive substitute.

Don't look too close but you can buy them from Woolies for about six bucks. I rivetted and sealled them in.

Here is my underdash gauge mount. I modified it a little as the steering clumn bracket is chrome and I want to see it as well.

Have fitted the bonnet now to start on the front guard alignment.

Will post again soon. Still trying tsort through those damn wires. Slowly getting rid of them.

Regards

Craig D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: