FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 07, 2024, 05:22:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Engine noise  (Read 2479 times)
rodliz

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2009, 07:14:55 AM »

Have had one of my FC's engine fully reco'd and since the reco a slight 'chucle' noise can be heard while driving at a particular point in the rev range.Sounded like tappet rattle at first but after changing rocker shafts and arms and pushrods and checking bucket wear the noise is still there! During the reco it did have a metal timing gear installed--could that cause the noise?
Regards Rod
FCGos

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 07:09:50 PM »

Hi, I would be checking the basics first before dismantling, such as distributor timing and bobweight security, dipstick tube (can cause the dipstick to contact rotating parts if bent at the wrong angle), cooling fan for looseness in rivets etc.  It would be useful to know if the crankshaft was ground or standard and if the necessary crush was achieved on the main and conrod bearings, and if the gudgeon pins and bushes were replaced or reused.  Hope this helps Wayne
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 07:21:47 PM »

Is it a Pinging noise perhaps? Caused by timing or fuel mixture.
Cheers,
Graham
CraigA
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 07:55:25 PM »

What about a leaking manifold gasket?
Trevor_B
vic-club

Model: FC

Melbourne VIC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 08:13:10 PM »

Hi,
Down south we have had a number of issues with steel timing gears recently. Even brand new ones have produced some fairly severe whining and knocking.

I just removed the grey out of our ute due to a knocking noise between 2800 - 3100 rpm that looks like it's the steel timing gears. Upon inspection, there is more than 12 thou backlash clearance and burs on the edges of the teeth. Another club member has had his steel set replaced (after having them installed for Mt Gambier) with a fibre gear and he is sooo happy.

Not saying that is your particular issue, just that steel gear sets are not the total answer. We also have other members that are totally satisfied with their steel gears so it seems it's a bit of chance rather than good engineering. The good thing is that the gears will not normally fail - the worst outcome is just more noise.

I ended up getting frustrated at trying to work out what the noise was in our ute and rebuilt another engine to replace it so I could be confident we could get to Orange & back.

Regards,
Trevor_B

FC Sedan, Ute & Wagon .... only a Panel Van required to make the set
rodliz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 06:41:48 AM »

I believe the crank and cam were re-ground and new gudgeons fitted --The guy who recon'd the engine normally rebuilds Chev race engines and is fairly experienced and fussy with his work,figured the build would be ok.Had heard of strange noises from the metal timing gears before.Dissy has been o/hauled.Double checked the timing and appears correct.Have noticed when engine is cold the noise is less obvious.
Regards Rod
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: