FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:14:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Mystery engine noise  (Read 2022 times)
Mustard

Model: FE

BEER It’s not just for breakfast anymore

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2009, 07:12:24 PM »

G'day All. Mustards the name.
I have a 59 FC special sedan and her name is Black Betty. I hope that this might help someone else that might run into this problem I had with Betty.

All was well until a noise which sounded like it was coming from the sump. A knocking noise that just about disappeared when the revs were increased but when on idle sounded like she was in her death rattle.
Hmmm.javascript:void(0); Start easy and work your way along. So I started with the harmonic balancer and since I had a new one sitting around changed it out as the rubber was starting to perish. Also checked timing gear all OK there. Removed rocker cover and side plate, so far so good removed sump check all bolts and the oil pump, "nothing to see here move along" as the wallopers would say. Remove the gearbox and BINGO 1 bolt from the flywheel was loose and was catching on just 1 of the spring retainers of the clutch plate. There was just a little shiny metal where the two were hitting each other. I remover all the blots a drilled the heads so once re tightened  i could wire the 2 sets together so if they did come loose they won't be able to go far.  javascript:void(0); Hopfully this won't happen to anyone else but at least if it does you might be able to use the info here.

Cheers.
Mustard
CraigA
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 09:04:26 PM »

Hey Mustard, I had exactly the same problem with my XU1. A couple of broken flywheel bolts after a burnout at the drags.

Sounded exactly like a big end bearing. Some new bolts loctited in place and all fixed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: