FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 28, 2024, 01:21:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: ACT Rego for a stock FC  (Read 2606 times)
AndyJ

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2009, 05:29:09 PM »

Hi guys,

I was asking some questions about ACT regiestratioin the Cars Wanted forums, but this seems like a better place to continue the conversation:

I am now looking at buying a stock FC special sedan, original motor, brakes, steering, vaccum wipers, no seat belts etc.

the car is in good condition, it's got 10 months NSW rego, but I wanted to know if there are any mods the ACT Registry forces you to make to old cars to pass for rego? They seems to have all their own rules...

I know they make ANY out of state car pass an Identity Inspection, and take it over the pits fopr a full roadworthy. (they even made me do this for my 2007 VTR250 bike i bought in NSW last year..crazy.)

So has anyone registered a Standard FC in the ACT anytime reciently? Do I need to make these changes below or is that only needed if you put in a bigger capacity engine?

- Demister/Heater
- Electric Wipers
- Seat Belts

As far as I can tell the only mod the the car is conversion to 12 volt electrics..

cheers

Andy
lucky_gwen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 06:03:59 PM »

When you buy it, just drive it until the rego is nearly run out. Then put it over for an inspection. You still have 10 months of rego left on it before you really have to do anything. Or else you can put it over sooner and use the time left on the rego to get it fixed.

I put mine over for inspection in October last year and they didn't really pick on anything. It already had electric wipers and a drivers seatbelt. But no mirrors.

See how you go.

Regards
Janette
Philby
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 10:53:07 AM »

Hi Andy,

I put my stock FC over the pits about 18 months ago when transferring back to full rego from club rego. It was reasonably painless.

As I understand it, an unmodified FC can legally be registered without seatbelts, heaters, demisters etc. Basically, as long as it’s the same as it was when it rolled off the production line your okay. Some modifications will need an engineers certificate I.e. seatbelts, bigger engine etc. But I've not had to do any of that so I'm not a good source of info. on that Smiley.

Seatbelts are a very good idea but not required for rego. Heaters here in Canberra are a good idea too but not required for rego. If you give Canberra Connect a call (132281) and ask to speak to someone from the Technical Standards team at Dickson, they are usually very helpful (a bit short at times but very helpful).

My FC didn’t pass the first time. The main things were:

- Vacuum wipers died during inspection (replaced with working vacuum wipers)
- Rust in rear passenger floor (replaced floor)
- Rust in spare wheel well (replaced wheel well)

The rust surprised me, but when they started hurling the screwdriver up into the floor I realised they were serious about finding rust. This gave me the $h^ts though, I almost blew my top when they started, but instead I politely asked what they were doing, this made them quieten down thank goodness.

If you're quick with transferring the rego, and send your paperwork to NSW, you should get a small cheque in the mail for the balance of the rego (minus admin charges). Generally they like you to do it within two weeks or a month (can't remember) but they are not that strict on it. We went 3 months before transferring my wifes car and there was no stress.

Cheers,

Phil
Paul In Ireland
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 04:37:38 PM »

It would have 12V originally, not converted.

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: