FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 21, 2024, 09:33:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: how they got the letters for year models  (Read 6457 times)
giddyup

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2009, 07:46:46 PM »

Hi everyone.I used to know this off the back of my hand but now have forgot.Can anyone tell me how they got the letters for each holden.
I remember there was a chart and it worked of numbers and whatever year the car fell on that is what they named it.
I hope this makes sense to someone.
Regards Mark.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 08:24:22 PM »

First letter denotes decade of intended release
ie F = 50's, E = 60's
Second letter denotes year of intended release
K = 1, J = 2, H = 3, G = 4, F = 5, E = 6, D = 7, C = 8, B = 9, A = 0

Therefore FE = 1956, EH = 1963

Regards  Ken
giddyup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 08:32:59 PM »

Thanks Ken,
I knew you would come through with the goods.
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 06:03:32 AM »

did they change the formula or stop using it after EH, HD '65 or '66, HR '67, HK '68
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 07:37:55 AM »

They did stop using the formula after the EH.

Remember the early 60s brought local competition from Ford and Chrysler. The old backwards letter system was well understood, and a broken code is no code at all. Its continued use would have put Holden at a competitive disadvantage, as the other manufacturers would know when Holden intended to implement something substantial. (For example the HR was the first Holden to have seat-belts as standard IIRC, and the first to have a 4-speed. Had the old system remained, the HR would have been the EE, and a competitor would know Holden intended to introduced these things in 1966 if they heard the relevant model code "on the grapevine".)

The HD is named for the Managing Director of the time, David Hegland. Throughout the "H" series they used random letter codes, and then with the the "V" series the codes were alphabetical, with random gaps. (Although you probably could have guessed the VC Commodore would not be followed by the VD Grin)

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
FCwagon
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 02:03:23 PM »

It's always intrigued me why Holden chose the V series as it was previously a Chrysler naming code and I didn't think manufacturers would want to have the public confusing them. Valiants went from VC to VH (also missing out on the VD) so as Holden have now got VE, I'm guessing the next model Commodore will be VF?

Red & white is alright
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 06:12:11 PM »

I don't know the definitive answer Leigh, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that it's probably related to the fact that the original Holden Commodore was based on the Opel "V platform", as used on Opel Senators, Rekords and indeed, Commodores.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 05:07:17 PM »

thanks that cleared that up

(Although you probably could have guessed the VC Commodore would not be followed by the VD Grin)

cheers
RET

although they are great cars for getting around in going shopping etc but i think all commodores should be coded VD Roll Eyes Grin

i saw on ebay a guy trying to sell one once he claimed was a factory mistake that was tagged as a VD, had a pic in the add with VD clearly stamped on the tag although somebody could have doctored it
DN2168
nsw-club

Model: FC

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 07:42:08 PM »

Yep...I'd get doctored if I was stamped "VD"  Grin Grin Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode)