FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 28, 2024, 07:55:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Diff  (Read 4682 times)
jasonr70002

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2009, 04:15:24 PM »

I have a diff for sale that was in my FE it is a standard banjo with 3.55 gears and all brakes etc are on it. I am after $100 for it but if it doesn't sell I will remove spring mounts and toss into the tip as I am going 10 bolt to hold the V6 torque and the bango is not needed anymore. or will swap for lower left hand rear quarter or what have you.
cheers Jason

Golden Holdens FE-FC
IFC.58

I love volkswagons too

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 09:55:17 PM »

i,m interested in the 3.55 gears if your in bris
but
i thought 3.89 gears were in the fe fc fb ek

0403252522 if your in bris
terry

hey my name is terry  i,m from brisbane
you,ll see me in my blue 58 fc wagon or
my other love a big red offroad baja vw
subaru powered and built to go anywhere
wave if you see me next time
jasonr70002

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 10:06:16 PM »

I was told that the diff came out of a HR but I don't know how to tell the difference as I am very new to old holdens pre HQ

Golden Holdens FE-FC
brett_f

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 03:47:53 PM »

Jason,
Usually the metal dust cap behind the yoke has the ratio stamped onto it. Might have to clean it pretty good to find it or you can simply mark the position of the drum and yoke and count how many times the yoke turns to the drum in one full revolution. This will give to an approximate ratio. Or otherwise if you remove the centre from the housing the ratio is stamped onto the ring gear.
brett
jasonr70002

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 07:37:04 PM »

The dust cap has 3.55 ratio on it but I had already checked it. What I meant by not knowing was that I don't know the differences in what brakes are on FE or HR diffs etc.
Jason

Golden Holdens FE-FC
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 09:02:40 PM »

The easiest way to tell the difference between a HR and a FC diff housing is to look at the the bump rubbers on the housing-  FC has none - HR has 1 each side. Also look at the 4 bolts holding the backing plates on - FC pattern is square. The HR pattern is wider at the top than the bottom

Ken
jasonr70002

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 10:02:52 PM »

My diff has no bump rubbers on the housing it only has a sort of bent steel plate resembling an m but will check the bolt pattern in the morning.

Golden Holdens FE-FC
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 08:00:26 AM »

I thought HR diff housings were attached to the springs using plates, where as all the others use "U bolts"... I this correct?  At least that's what I thought. I dont know how to tell the origin of a centre though.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 08:56:54 AM »

I thought HR diff housings were attached to the springs using plates, where as all the others use "U bolts"... I this correct?  At least that's what I thought. I dont know how to tell the origin of a centre though.

Cheers Ed
 That is right Ed no U bolts and that ugly  mounting saddles are HR .............FC427..........

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
jasonr70002

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 05:59:51 PM »

It is definitely an FE type diff with a later centre in it as it has the square backing plate pattern. I need it gone so make me an offer or trade me for whatever cause I just done have the room to store it and it would be a real shame to dump it as it is a good diff with everything bolted to it including handbrake cables and brake lines. I need whatever FE parts I can get in regards to body panels, Chrome etc or even rust repair panels like floor pans etc.
cheers Jason

Golden Holdens FE-FC
Royal
qld-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 04:28:31 PM »

PM sent

Just  "HOLDEN " on
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print