FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 05:38:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: PARTS WASHER FLUID  (Read 24094 times)
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2009, 06:53:45 PM »

After years of washing parts in old ice cream containers, cake pans etc Roll Eyes I have finally got around to assembling a Parts Washer I got as a gift a few years ago.

So, I need to know what everyone else uses to fill it with, I use petrol at the moment but I don't like the idea of it sitting around the shed & possible sparks when switching it on Shocked

The instructions say to use water & detergent, but will that do the job?

Ta, Gary

CraigA
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 06:59:29 PM »

Kero works well and is cheap.

You can also buy degreaser in drums.
Maco
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 08:07:55 PM »

Hi Gary,

We use Turps in our one at work, as it air drys and leaves no residue as with Kero, sorry Craig.

Cheers
John

Better in Green
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 08:33:24 PM »

I went and  bought Kero  last week try 4 liters $16. I don't know about cheep .....FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
FX1975
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 12:58:45 PM »

You need to find a servo with a kero bowser.  Caltex at corner of coreen ave at penrith has it if you are in the area about a 1.60 a litre.  about 18 months ago

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 06:53:05 PM »

We had a local Servo selling kero till last year and then no more Sad Sad I guess not many people use kero heaters any more ......The good old day's getting a gut full of fumes trying to get warm......FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 07:31:10 PM »

Thanks for the input you blokes, I already had 4 lts of Kero left over from the last time we used the caravan so decided to go that way, but it barley covered the bottom, so I went to the servo that FX1975 went to.

Took a 25 lt drum Shocked $2.09 cents a lt Shocked so it's gone up a bit, but not as bad as what you paid Mark.

Maybe I should have priced the Turps or Degreaser 1st like John & Craig suggested, anyway, I'll see how it goes.

Cheers, Gary
GMB-58FC

Stage one complete...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 01:14:20 PM »

We use a 50/50 mix of kero & diesel which is 20L of each.

ABS Hobart- 6231 5855

FOR ALL YOUR BRAKE & CLUTCH NEEDS. 

PM FOR QUOTE
stapla

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 04:00:15 PM »

i was looking at one from supercheap and it had a big warning about not using flammable liquids. 

Is this an issue ?  kero / diesel safe to use ?
GMB-58FC

Stage one complete...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 07:10:52 PM »

i was looking at one from supercheap and it had a big warning about not using flammable liquids. 

Is this an issue ?  kero / diesel safe to use ?

They have to put the warning on and its also a way for them to sell other cleaning products to use in it.  Plenty of people across different industries have been using kero/diesel for years with no drama's and up until a few years ago kero was the only thing they used in the washed bays in the army etc

ABS Hobart- 6231 5855

PM FOR QUOTE
Fc1958

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 08:37:42 PM »

Have you tryed buying 15ltrs concentrated from your local Bunnings store, they are heaps cheaper and "concentrated" should fill it up Smiley

“Old Holdens never die… they just go faster!”
GMB-58FC

Stage one complete...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 06:00:21 PM »

Have you tryed buying 15ltrs concentrated from your local Bunnings store, they are heaps cheaper and "concentrated" should fill it up Smiley

Have tried a couple of different cleaning agents from auto wholesalers and found that they dont work as well as kero/diesel.  They also dont have the same repeat life so in the long run works out more expensive IMO

ABS Hobart- 6231 5855

PM FOR QUOTE
fc2360

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 07:48:52 PM »

castrol sell parts washer fluid for arround $100 20lts last along time in parts washer
Stash
nsw-club

Sydney, NSW

johnchaplin
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 06:57:21 PM »

Gary

How did you go with your parts washer.
Just got one from SuperCheap.. And states water-based only.
Prefer to use Kero, but worried I will get a fire or electrocute myself.

John
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 08:38:18 PM »

Stash, I've had no probs with the kero, and have used it a lot since my post, it's due for a changeover clean out so I may try the mixture of kero / diesel this time round

Cheers, Gary
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 08:43:37 PM »

The reason most use the kero/diesel combo is because they both have a low flash point which means it would take a solid flame and heat source to make it combust. There is little or no risk involved in a parts washer as there is no naked flame and a spark from the pump would just drown. I learnt all about flamable liquids when I was with the SES.
Hope this helps you all, Jim  

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
Stash
nsw-club

Sydney, NSW

johnchaplin
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 11:12:45 PM »

Jim, helpful as usual !  Smiley

Why kero/Diesel mix  and not just straight Kero ?

Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 10:47:41 PM »

Kero has been used for a long, long time as parts washer fluid, but it needs due care.

Most of the time a spark dropped into kero will go out, as the flashpoint of kero is around 39 Celcius. On a bloody hot day, out in the sun or locked up in a hot tin shed, the parts washer can readily go above 39C (...maybe not in Hobart  Grin). In that case, a spark will easily ignite the kero. Splashing kero around can generate a kero/air aerosol which can also ignite. Kero wicked up in old rags can also ignite much more readily than straight kero. I would not be too comfortable with kero sitting around in the shed in an open parts washer - needs a lid with a decent seal. Diesel has a much higher flashpoint (minimum of 60C) which makes it harder to ignite (unless you live in the Pilbarra, where it seems to be constantly hotter than that  Grin).

Some insurance companies also limit the amount of hydrocarbon you can store (often to 20L) - worth checking your policy.

Keros does have an aromatic content that can be absorbed through the skin. Hobby use may well be OK, but a lot of labelling on parts washers also takes into account long term use.

Cheers,
Harv.
Rummy

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 07:33:40 AM »

G'day Forum, A bit more info,petrol has an extremely low flashpoint(0.2dc-2.0dc)this is why it will ignite from static electricity!+can disolve glues & perish rubbers. Diesel on the other hand has a flashpoint of somewhere between (60dc-79dc)so a lot safer to use & a very good & cheap PARTS WASHER FLUID.that want harm glues etc.Kero lies in between but closer to the diesel side. Hope this helps a bit.cheers Rummy
Stash
nsw-club

Sydney, NSW

johnchaplin
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 09:21:21 AM »

thanks Guys..

I suppose my question was around why go a mix versus a straight solution..?  Huh
is it because of price, odour or something i missed?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: