FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:11:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: sumps  (Read 11830 times)
pedro
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2009, 04:59:05 PM »

G,day all, has anybody fitted a VL dunnydore fuel injected engine to an FE/FC, somehow i don't think the old switch it for an EH one is going to work in this situation Sad, is there a different sump available for this swap or will i have to modify the sump myself.
                               Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 05:03:32 PM »

Yep been done, and the sump is a custom build it yourself job. Lots of good reasons exist not to do this swap, but if you want to be different then go for it.
Spyro Bouras in SA has a 2 tone blue FC sedan with the Nissan engine in it - I 'm sure Alex would have pics of the engine.

Ken
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 11:08:30 PM »

As requested. Wink
This pic is not Spiro's car, but John from NSW.
I know I have a pic of Spiro's engine bay somewhere, this 1 was easier to find though.
Regards
Alex

pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 10:26:30 AM »

Thanks Ken, I'll definately be going down this path now as i have already bought the car, I can modify the sump by cutting up an old grey motor one, I had to buy 4 floor pans and a hump anyway so I'm taking inspiration from fevanv6 and welding in the floor out of the VL as well, that will solve a few other problems, Thanks Alex you're a legend with those photo's no matter what anyone asks for you always have it.
                                           Pedro

F4+
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 10:32:25 AM »

Lots of good reasons exist not to do this swap, but if you want to be different then go for it.

Ken,

Just interested to know the negatives.  Is the RB30, similar to RB25 and turbo versions etc or..?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 08:48:29 PM »

Negatives - no standard fitting kit. No replacement sump. It's a long engine compared to the now easy to fit V6. It's older technology and the spark plugs are a pain in the neck as well.

Ken
Dave88

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 12:08:02 AM »

I'll second Ken's comment about changing plugs on the RB motors. I found using a long extension and uni joint with the ratchet helped a great deal in getting to plugs 3 & 4 though (I use the uni between the socket and extension bar)

In the long run it's only a very small inconvenience when you compare it to the advantages of the motor though  Smiley

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 09:25:03 AM »

I know they are a bit awkward to change when I had my VL I put platinum plugs in it good for over 50,000 km's  ........FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 10:05:48 AM »

Negatives - no standard fitting kit. No replacement sump. It's a long engine compared to the now easy to fit V6. It's older technology and the spark plugs are a pain in the neck as well.

Positives- I only paid $500 for the whole car, the mechanicals are good nick all you can hear when it's running is the tick of the injectors, it was just shunted in the rear quarter panel, the floor pans and hump would have cost me nearly that much so basically i got the mechanicals for free, it's already fitted with extractors, I can also use the brakes, fuel tank, radiator, seats, etc.( sounds like I'm trying to talk myself into it Roll Eyes), and yes i do like to be different Wink Grin Grin.
                        Pedro

F4+
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 10:23:49 AM »

Sounds to easy they are a very smooth engine and go well  The only thing that I don't like is once your car is engineered with a late model engine and it emissions  I don't think they will let you retro fit an engine with  out all these emissions but then Huh why would you want to ......FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 12:13:08 PM »

The only thing that I don't like is once your car is engineered with a late model engine and it emissions  I don't think they will let you retro fit an engine with  out all these emissions but then  why would you want to ......FC427......

Sounds like a good excuse to build another standard one further down the track Wink, I was talking to my engine reconditioner mate and he was saying the bottom end on them is built like a brick shithouse, which is another positive.
I see what you mean about the plugs, at least it looks like there's a bit more room in the FC.
                                                          Pedro

F4+
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 12:33:56 PM »

Looks like we are getting RB FC or is that FC RB    They have had a lot of development and around 1000 HP  is nothing new h Roll Eyes Hang ON Pedro  Grin Grin ......FC427.....

pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 02:36:06 PM »

They have had a lot of development and around 1000 HP  is nothing new h  Hang ON Pedro

YEEEHA, sounding better all the time, I love the look on peoples faces when a 1959 model car leaves  them for dead at the lights Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin.
                   Pedro

F4+
jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 04:13:36 PM »

you're just a hoon, Pedro  Roll Eyes

I would have thought that at your ripe old age, you'd have more sense.

Stop light drags and similar highly illegal behavior is certainly not becoming, nor acceptable from teenage p-platers, let alone a supposedly mature adult.

Clearly, I'll have to revise my opinion of you...

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 05:39:44 PM »

Stop light drags and similar highly illegal behavior is certainly not becoming, nor acceptable from teenage p-platers, let alone a supposedly mature adult.

No, certainly not the thing to do. TSK TSK TSK

One would think that one would grow up.......

I'll be waiting for the lights to change too Grin Grin Grin Growing old is compusory, growing up is entirely optional Grin Grin Grin

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 07:32:47 PM »

you're just a hoon, Pedro 

I would have thought that at your ripe old age, you'd have more sense.

Clearly, I'll have to revise my opinion of you...

Roflmao, My, daughter got me a fridge magnet for my 50th that said if you haven't grown up by 50 you don't have to so i'm not going to Wink, not worried about a little competition at the lights now i've got my new fangled power plant are you Jack Tongue Cheesy Cheesy(easy to say when my car isn't even on the road yet Roll Eyes)
                                          Pedro

F4+
jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 08:29:11 PM »

Pedro, I have little competition from the local louts in their hot VL's (they've learnt not to try) and right now I've got you trumped also. Put a warm RB in your wagon and things could be close at the Orange stoplights.
But if you go the 1000 hp way, I'll have the greatest of pleasure standing on the footpath and watching!

cheers, Jack the fine upstanding elder citizen

(well, the 'fine' bit is true; it was in the letterbox this morning  Angry )

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 11:50:13 AM »

YEEEHA, sounding better all the time, I love the look on peoples faces when a 1959 model car leaves  them for dead at the lights Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin.
                   Pedro

A bloody good feeling let me tell you... Grin Grin Grin

Especially when the other car is a late model Euro rocketship like a Mercedes Kompressor or BMW... Priceless.

ahh... fond memories.

in the shed
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 01:09:02 PM »

Pedro, I have little competition from the local louts in their hot VL's (they've learnt not to try) and right now I've got you trumped also. Put a warm RB in your wagon and things could be close at the Orange stoplights.

Maybe i should ask what you've got under the bonnet before i lodge my foot any further into my mouth   Lips sealed  Wink Cheesy Cheesy
                    Pedro

F4+
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 01:14:08 PM »

A Black & Decker Aquarium Pump!  Wink

NosFEratu
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up