FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 08:24:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Door hinge adjustment  (Read 2060 times)
maroon-fc

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2009, 06:16:05 PM »

Just a quick question, my front door is slightly hitting the front guard when opening, is there a simple fix for this? FC Mikey

Wild thing....you make my heart sing,
you make everything groovy,
C'mon c'mon wild thing.
CraigA
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 09:14:33 PM »

Is the door too low/guard too high? I'm guessing that it is as from what I've seen this is a common issue.

There a some choices:

1. Try to get the guard down by removing it and cleaning the mid A pillar area. Then pull it into position with the upper bolt, the one you access from inside the car. Big job though, and maybe not the first thing you'd try.

2. Get the door out further. You can do this by bending the hinges or by packing the top hinge, which is tricky but possible. I used this method on my car via a number of thin lead packing sheets. Works well and allowed me to align the guard/door.

3. Or if the guard has had a top section fitted incorrectly then you may need to cut it out and start again.

Others will have suggestions but this is what I've found when trying to correct the same issue.

Cheers,

Craig.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 09:59:16 PM »

Yes I agree with everything Craig has said, you first need to assess which is wrong - the door or the guard.
Check all the other door dimensions - is the door in the correct position? Does it need to come out at the bottom or back at the bottom?
If the door looks right then the guard needs to be adjusted to fix the problem. Most likely is that the guard needs to come in at the bottom, but as Craig has said, a dodgy repair can stuff up the alignment totally and the only fix is starting again with the repair.
You may need professional advice if this is not making sense to you.
Fit problems often occur with cars which have had doors or guards replaced from the originals. It is often not just a case of unbolting one and bolting on another - guards and doors were ADJUSTED at the factory to MAKE THEM FIT.

Ken

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 10:07:41 PM »

Good idea to check the hinge for wear in the hinge bushes before you start altering things ........FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
propig2003

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 11:02:17 AM »

Open the door, lift door slightly for up and down movement, if there is movement, might need hinge pins replaced as FC427 suggests. had the same problem with the ute.
cheers brett
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: