FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 06:20:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Two tone paint: Help How to?  (Read 5400 times)
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« on: June 19, 2009, 10:57:56 AM »

Hello,

I'm planning my first attempt at a two tone paint job.

the two colours will be champagne (clear over base) over white (2k).

how should I best attack this keeping in mind the colour separation will be visible and not hidden under any trim?

I will probably use a stick on stripe (black) as a separator.

Questions.

Which colour should I lay down first?  Champagne with a coat of clear or the white?

How do I prevent excessive build at the mask edge?

Which tape is best to use?

After the second colour is applied can I sand gently using 1500 wet to try knock down the edge then clear over the entire lot?

Can a stick on stripe be painted over and "buried" in the clear.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 11:12:54 AM »

Geez Ed, it's easy, don't you watch Overhaulin and Pimp My Ride?  Tongue
They usually hide the join with pin striping over the final paint.

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 11:19:44 AM »

Hey Stinky,

A couple of probs.
I’ve never watched an episode of overhaulin or PMR, and I can’t stripe…

I think building the clear over the join may be the done thing and blocking down until a reasonably level surface is achieved.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
CraigA
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 11:38:27 AM »

Hey Ed,

Call my brother Glenn on 9623 7936.

He just painted reasonably Fast Eddie's E49 Charger - lots of stripes on those things so he'll have the answer for you.

He also paints a few race cars with the same challenge.

Cheers,

Craig.
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 12:16:19 PM »

Ed have you already bought the white if not when you do buy base coat white  [will need to have clear over it ] paint the car all white with only cover coat over the area that will be two tone then a tack coat of clear then a full  coat of 2k clear ...when dry lightly wet rub the area that is to be 2 toned mask what you don't want painted [rest of the car ] now paint the two tone and again finish the clear as before when dry rub hole of car with 1500 with special attention to  the masked edge now flow coat the hole car with clear and presto join lines should be flat after cutting and buffing .....It is a good idea to mask the two tone so that it can be unmasked easily and quickly after painting I like to get the masking away from the two tone line ASAP [so no paint bridging happens if let to dry to long ]  and always use FINE LINE MASKING TAPE for your masked edge  ...Hope this helps  ........FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 10:25:57 AM »

Hi Mark,

That helps alot.  I haven't bought paint yet, so will make sure I get basecoat white.

I just hifilled the tub last weekend.. at the moment, I'm a little bit over it lol.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 03:23:08 PM »

Mark,

Can i use 2K for the white, wet sand the entire car with 1500, shoot the base and clear (2 tone), then clear whole car.

I'm not sure if the white can be matched in COB system, and I'm lazily trying to avoid doing in the doors etc.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 04:29:42 PM »

Ed not good to spray 2k clear over a solid colour ... you can get the base coat matched to suit the inside of the car and just mask it of BUT would you bother Huh Huh Huh Huh not much extra work when your doing a respray anyhow  Roll Eyes ......FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 04:33:49 PM »

This is true Mark,

I'm just being lazy.

I only intended to freshen up the scratches in the tub..  Undecided

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 04:38:33 PM »

one more question.. Since the door jambs are in good nick, I was planning on just scuffing the gloss off and shooting colour over.

Should I epoxy prime these first to seal it up and just put colour down wet on wet?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 05:12:02 PM »

Ed should be no reason to prime just rub with 600 wet and providing you don't rub through to metal you should be able to spray straight over .......FC427.....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: