FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 21, 2024, 11:58:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Gearbox issues  (Read 4530 times)
ownfc59
qld-club

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2009, 10:46:57 AM »

Hi,
Just seeking some advice regarding a problem with the gears in my FC.
We have lost reverse & the other gears dont appear to be where they used to be on the column shift.  Also, the position of the end of the shifter is now much closer to the steering wheel than usual & it's difficult to go from 1st to 2nd gear (or at least where 1st & 2nd used to be).
I've had a look at the linkages where they come out of the steering column in the engine bay and they are very loose with heaps of play in them.  I'm thinking this isn't how things should be.  The locknuts on the gearshift rod are not tight and I am thinking there should be a spring in place to tension everything but I couldn't see one.  The diagram in the workshop manual shows a spring which appears to be tensioning the whole selector lever, this may be missing.
Any advice on how to diagnose the exact problem & possible fixes would be appreciated as always.
Thanks,
Pete
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 05:17:09 PM »

It's possible that you have broken the bracket on the shift tube. This is up the top where your shift lever goes into the column. Your sloppy shift rods won't be helping either.

Have you got access to someone who can help? ie: where are you?

Colin.

colt
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 08:19:39 PM »

Yep sounds like broken shifter tube to me as well - very common. You will need to pull the wheel off to totally confirm.
Ken
ownfc59
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 10:21:57 PM »

Thanks Colin & Ken,
I started to dismantle the steering column on the weekend but came to a grinding halt as I don't have a wheel puller & that sucker was really on there tight.
I am in Toowoomba & could enlist the services of another forum member (Sherriff) but would need to get hold of a wheel puller.
The other problem is that the mighty FC has become my wife's daily driver since we sold our Corolla so don't get much chance to work on it.
If it is the shifter tube, how hard is it to find a replacement part or parts & could a relative mechanical dunce like me handle the job or am I better taking it to a pro?  Likely cost anyone?
Advice is much appreciated as always.
Pete
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 11:40:39 PM »

I have a few spare ones - $20 each
The hardest bit is undoing the bolt which holds the selector on at the bottom. Better to have a helper who is pushing down on the tube while you undo.

That is it is the hardest thing once you get the wheel off Undecided
You could try other methods such as hitting the centre with a hammer (leave a nut on to protect the thread) whilst pulling up on the wheel.

Ken
ownfc59
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 09:13:31 AM »

Thanks Ken,
Having no idea what the part looks like, is it something that can be sent through Australia Post?
I'll try & get a look at it over the weekend to confirm this is the problem & get back to you.
Cheers,
Pete
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 10:03:25 PM »

Yes can be sent through Aust post

Ken
ownfc59
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 03:11:18 PM »

Hi Ken,
PM sent.
Regards,
Peter
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 04:03:15 PM »

Pete
Harry Brazier (QLD Club Member) Also lives up on top of the mountain, I am sure if you give him a call he will be only to willing to give you a hand and some advice. I do not have his number but you should be able to find it in the book. He has his own electrical business in Toowoomba.

Cheers Jim

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: