FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:52:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel injecting a grey motor  (Read 23835 times)
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 04:20:58 PM »

Don't boost your drum brakes! I had boosted drums in a Galaxie and it was an all or nothing affair, I got used to it eventually but emergency braking was always scarey stuff with 2 tonnes of car going sideways with all wheels locked up  Shocked

smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 06:25:01 PM »

jason just a quickie re your harness idea.

firstly have a real good look at the condition of your wiring before deciding on what harness to butcher, i mean adapt Wink
you might just save a lot of headaches down the track by installing an aftermarket harness. i used a airride technologies harness wich has several spare fuses and wires to be incorporated into the efi setup.
and with mine ( 186 with 12 port black head, vk intake manifold, vn TB, delco 808 ecu ) i found the easiest way was to use the JE camira engine harness and wire in another 2 injectors. then all you really needed was power and a couple of other little touches which escape me at the moment.

one thing to bear in mind with EFI is the need to plumb return lines to tank.
plus all sensors- MAP, O2, MAT, water, etc: the camira harness has all these already hooked up i found a hell of a lot of useless wires in the VN harness.

good luck with it.
and Ed i definately the guy with the EFI knowhow Wink

dean

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
Oggz

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 10:26:47 PM »

I know this is dredging up an old topic. But did anyone ever get around to adapting on of the falcon TBI's? or any other TBI to a single or twin manifold?
87 velo
nsw-club

Model: FE

Sydney

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 11:43:37 PM »

Just to add something else, there is also grouped injection, where 1,3,5 fire together 2,4,6 work together. 

Oxygen sensors are usually there for feed back when the system goes to closed loop, warm engine constant throttle light load (cruise), the ECU then looks at the signal from the EGO sensor (some are heated for faster operation HEGO) the ECU then trys to achieve the ideal air/fuel ratio of 14.7:1 and adjusts injector pulse width accordingly.  You can see this happening on a dyno with a volt meter and gas analyser.

When the engine is lean there is no output from the EGO, as it gets rich it goes up to 1 volt, when they are in closed loop they constantly cycle up and down, it doesn't look for the middle it constantly goes from rich to lean.  If the system has adaptive learning it will move the whole fuel map a few percent up or down from the original program (some code readers will tell you how much).  This is why when you have a problem on a car with this system sometimes you can get an improvement in its running by disconnecting the battery, because then it goes back to it's original map.

Just because a FI system has a EGO sensor doesn't mean that it will do all the work for you, they are basically there for economy and fine tuning the system to the engine as it wears etc. someone still has to come up with MAP.

Having said that don't be put off, most of my experience with FI systems has been with original equipment, I have done a little mapping with aftermarket stuff and its very user friendly, but can be time consuming, especially if you don't have access to a gas analyser

You will be able to adapt sensors, injectors etc. easily enough, the mapping will be a bit challenging

Cheers Mick
fcv85l

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 10:17:44 PM »

87 is dead right about the oxygen sensor theory,it is a trimming device that offers fine tune only,808s dont even go into closed loop at wot or idle,it would be impractical to use an 808 as calmaker or eqiv would need to be used for re mapping,even a cheap aftermarket ecu would cost 1500 plus install plus tune,as for tbi even ford engineers couldnt get it right(no surprise) and fuel distribution still suffers,unfortnately there is no cheap way out
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 12:05:18 AM »

If you can run 1,2 or 3 SU or Stromberg Carbies you can EFI it, there's a place in the USA selling kits. Designed for Pommy cars I am sure the system could be easily adapted, I intend getting this setup to run in my Wagon eventually  Roll Eyes
http://www.pattonmachine.com/Pricing.htm

87 velo
nsw-club

Model: FE

Sydney

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 05:07:57 PM »

Have a look at a Triumph Rocket motorcycle 2.3 litre engine with 3 cylinders I think it has 3 throttle bodies and injectors, might be made to work would then have to add programable ECU
Goodluck Mick
fcv85l

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »

i converted an ex sprintcar hillborn setup in my fc 350 using motec, but all costs cash,not hard to set up efi on a grey just costs money.....and money we do not got
GOA350
vic-club

FE's are great when they've got a V8

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2011, 06:33:57 PM »

On the decision on whether to inject or not, i recently drove my FC on a trip and got 9ltrs to 100klms with twin Zenith carbys. But i am still going to go down the injection path at a later date just to say i could do it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: