FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 21, 2024, 06:28:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FE Bonnet Emblem  (Read 3565 times)
Ken's 57
nsw-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2009, 04:02:01 PM »

Hi Everyone

Can anyone tell me what the story is with the two outer studs that hold the chrome bonnet emblem assembly in place please? According to the workshop manual there are just two nuts and these are easy to get at with the bonnet up. I've undone these but it has no intention of coming off just yet. There are still two studs/bolts on the outer part of each of the "wings" and before I go getting too rough with it, it would be nice to know what I'm dealing with here. They're not real accessible on the inside of the bonnet so what secures them? Nuts, clips or none of the above?  Huh

Cheers.....Ken
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 04:38:01 PM »

Hi Ken, if you are talking FE Bonnet Emblem that has the round badge in the centre, the 2 inner studs are held in by speednuts, like a tin nut with washer all in 1

I think the outers are just studs that sit in the holes, can't remember  Huh

Gary
Ken's 57
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 06:34:42 PM »

It's the outers that have me stumped Gary. I'm not sure if they are press fit studs that will just allow me to prise the chrome piece off or if they are held in place by nuts or clips. I've removed the two centre tin nuts that you've mentioned but it is still pretty well fixed to the bonnet.

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 08:16:38 PM »

No clips on the outers, my guess is that the threads on the bolts are just jammed in the holes in the bonnets - try giving them a little tap from behind.

Ken
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 09:44:55 PM »

Hi Ken,
In the car I am doing up at the moment there were push in clips like the ones that hold in the glove box badge, but larger.My blue car dosen't have them and from what Ken has said maybe it never did.As Ken has said just lightly tap the studs and it should come free.
Cheers,
Graham
Ken's 57
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 01:11:03 PM »

Thanks Ken & Graham. The two studs were indeed jammed in there with 52 years worth of gunk. No amount of tapping would free them so I locked a couple of nuts onto the studs where they protrude through to the inside of the bonnet and withdrew the studs from the chrome piece. This did the trick. My main worry was always the thought of cracking the unit itself and then trying to find a decent replacement. Not an easy task.   Tongue

Cheers......Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: