FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 12:59:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Timing gear differences  (Read 3246 times)
Poo Wagon Bloke

If its not Holden it Aint Golden!!

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2009, 07:49:43 PM »

G'day all,
Whilst installing a metal timing gear (from JP Engineering) in a mates FE today we discovered some interesting differences and possible anomolies.

1. The position of the dot on the steel camshaft gear was one tooth out with respect to the keyway from the original fibre gear. Can anyone provide any explanations?

2. In the original GMH FE manual it says to line up the two dots before sliding the camshaft into position. Once the helical effect of the gear takes effect this means that the two dots will be one tooth apart once the camshaft is 'home.'HuhHuh?

3. Should the dots line up before or after installation, both on the metal gear and the fibre one also, given the difference I pointed out earlier.

Can someone explain to me in simple terms how to degree in a camshaft also?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Alan

The Mighty Grey never dies!!
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 10:36:49 AM »

G'day all,
Whilst installing a metal timing gear (from JP Engineering) in a mates FE today we discovered some interesting differences and possible anomolies.

1. The position of the dot on the steel camshaft gear was one tooth out with respect to the keyway from the original fibre gear. Can anyone provide any explanations?

I don't understand why it would be different unless it was incorrectly marked. Having it a tooth out would either advance or retard the camshaft, depending on which way the dot has been marked. Some gears have what they call a multi fit sprocket. These have about 6 keyways cut into them so that the cam can be advanced or retarded, depending on the use of the engine. However to have it one tooth out would be too much. Contact JP and ask them if they have had a batch that has been incorrectly marked, or seek further advice from them.

2. In the original GMH FE manual it says to line up the two dots before sliding the camshaft into position. Once the helical effect of the gear takes effect this means that the two dots will be one tooth apart once the camshaft is 'home.'HuhHuh?

This is not ,meant to be the case. when the camshaft is installed the dots need to be together. Adjust the gear so that when the gear is installed the dots match.

3. Should the dots line up before or after installation, both on the metal gear and the fibre one also, given the difference I pointed out earlier.

Dots must line up.

Can someone explain to me in simple terms how to degree in a camshaft also?

Not really. not a simple job. However this is how it is done. Assuming you have a known cam profile (for example a 30/70) where the intake opens 30 degrees before TDC and the intake closes 70 degrees after bottom dead centre, the following needs to be done to degree a cam in.

First locate TDC, then fit a degree wheel to the crank securely to ensure that it does not move while the cam is degree'd in. then using 2 dial guages, (one for inlet one for exhaust) look at the cam manufacturers cam card. This should state at what degrees the cam will open @.050" lift. rotate the crank, (with cam installed in engine) to ensure that the cam profile matches manufactures card.

Degreeing a cam in is done to ensure that the camshaft profile metches the camshaft manufacturers stated claims on the card, it also ensures that all parts of the valve train have been manufatured correctly. ie dots are in place in relation to keyways etc...

In the event that you were to install a camshaft and were to degree the cam in and find that the camshaft was correct but the degrees were wrong due to a possible mismatch of crank or cam timing gears or the position in which the keyway had been cut, it gives you the point to work back from, basically a chance to work out which item is incorrect or faulty. It becomes a process of elimination to ensure that the engine will operate that way that it should.

I hope that this helps

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
Poo Wagon Bloke

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 05:52:16 PM »

EffCee,
Thanks heaps.
I sure didn't expect such a prompt, thorough and informed reply.
Every question answered and all concerns addressed - fantastic.
This is a terrific forum for a variety of reasons, especially the knowledge, experience and enthusiasm of those who contribute to it.

Alan

Poo Wagon Bloke

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 08:04:48 PM »

G'day all,
Chapter 2 on the timing gear.
After a phone call today to Master Engineering (wrong name last post) a very informative Rick I believe filled us in on what was the problem and it was with the remains of the fibre gear, NOT THE METAL GEAR!

Great customer service too. The engine did run with the dots apart, albeit not well! Now to line the dots up and all we be well. I have a good grey that will be used soon and I know what gear I'll be changing before the engine even goes into the FE I have in mind for it.

Learned a lot of valuable knowledge in this little episode.
Alan

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: