FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 03:48:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Shudder in reverse  (Read 4560 times)
mc54

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2009, 10:20:05 AM »

Hi All

I also realize the car is 50 years old.
I also know this car was garaged because it needed too much work and sitting 28 years hasn't helped any but I have to ask the question.

Do these cars ever run any length of time without breaking or am I just real unlucky?

Transmission and clutch are now in and all appears well except there is a shudder when I reverse, mainly up an incline.
I am going to tighten the engine mounts and rear "U" bolts.
I think there was a bit of a shudder before I replaced the clutch but not near as bad.
Has anyone run across this before?

Regards
Mike
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 03:56:11 PM »

Do these cars ever run any length of time without breaking or am I just real unlucky?

They do, and no you're not.

If your car was idle for 28 years, I think you have to resign yourself to the fact that it's going to take a while to iron all the kinks out of it. You can pretty much guarantee that every seal is buggered, all lubrication and/or protection would have dried up or disappeared. If you haven't done your timing gear already it's only a matter of time.

But.

Once you do sort the teething problems out you'll find a Holden can be incredibly reliable, despite its half-century.

There's plenty of blokes who spend tens of thousands of dollars on modified cars and still find themselves needing a tow-truck occasionally for the first few months. Don't let it get you down. It's all part of the "fun". It doesn't necessarily seem like it at the time, but you learn from it. I've had an FE as a daily driver for more than 20 years, and there's been a few times I've had to push it off an intersection, usually by myself. But I've learnt a lot about engines, transmissions, electricals etc along the way. I had to do the same thing with my stock FE the day after the reco engine went in, because the (original) coil failed in the extreme heat. It gives you the screaming heebee jeebies at the time, but hey, it's all part of life.

Now, getting back to your clutch. There's a special tool for setting the clutch to ensure it's located properly. Was that done? If it's only shuddering in reverse I'm assuming it is around the right way (that's also a trap for young players!)

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
mc54

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 04:21:58 PM »

I have gotta admit that it is getting a little frustrating.
As for the clutch. If you mean a dummy shaft, yes. I have driven it around 30 or so kilometers as all seems to be fine, no slipping. Transmission shifts great, good positive feel into gears and most importantly no more grinding gears.
The only thing I can think of is, in reverse and up an incline means under load, something is under a bit of pressure (torque). I am thinking "U' joints on drive shaft or perhaps differential maybe allowing the rear end to shift a bit. Why only in reverse I don't know.
All the shackle pins and bushing are new, motor mounts new, outrigger bushing new, guess its time to break out the spanners and tighten everything I can find. It probably
wouldn't hurt to measure a few thing to make sure all is square.

Regards
Mike
FC_fer_me
vic-club

baby boomers luv FC's

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 04:35:57 PM »

Might be an idea to check the wheel cylinders and make sure they are retracting ok. Sounds like it could be the brake shoes grabbing in reverse. Cheers, Jack
mc54

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 06:08:51 PM »

Wheel cylinders are new but will check the brakes to make sure they are adjusted correctly.

Thanks

Mike
Poo Wagon Bloke

If its not Holden it Aint Golden!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 08:09:11 PM »

Mike,
This problem is usually an alignment or wear problem somewhere.
A couple of suggestions:

Was the face of the flywheel nice and clean(no oil or grease)  or was it scored or marked with hotspots or small cracks? - needs refacing if it is.
Are the gearbox mountings in good nick and tight?
Are the u bolts tight on the diff and rubber insulators in good nick?

Hope it might help.
Alan

The Mighty Grey never dies!!
mc54

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 08:24:56 PM »

Alan

The flywheel was machined. I cleaned the flywheel and pressure plate. After I finished cleaning them, I cleaned them again.
If there was some grease on the flywheel, wouldn't the car shudder on take off as well as reverse?
The gearbox mounts are new but I am going to tighten them again in case I missed something. I think though, like you said it might have something to do with the differential
mountings. Going to tighten the U bolts, and as previously suggested check the brakes to make sure they are not grabbing.

Thanks

Mike
Poo Wagon Bloke

If its not Holden it Aint Golden!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 08:42:33 PM »

Mike,
Hmmmmmmmm!!!!!

I'll keep thinking for you. Imagine the sense of achievement you will experience once you've solved this challenge and can drive in reverse without so much as a hint of shudder. You will soon earn the title of guru to others who may have the same problem but have just accepted it as par for the course.

Still way better than moderns that come to an abrupt halt and won't allow you to drive them whilst you solve the problem. Would be handy to plug ina laptop though to sus the problem. Or on second thoguhts, maybe not.
Alan

The Mighty Grey never dies!!
Rusty_T
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 08:19:44 AM »

Mike,

My Blue FE Sedan (little pic left) is my daily driver and it has the shudders on the first take off for the day ( fwd or backwards),every day, and once all has warmed up, no more problems. I have checked all that has been mentioned in this post, and it still does it. Mind you ,I haven't had a spanner on it (except normal servicing) for almost 6 years. That's reliablility.

Cheers Rusty 
mc54

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 06:50:02 PM »

Thanks for the info guys.

I could just let it be, because, after all how much do I reverse. But that is not my nature so I will go back under the car and see what I can find.
There must be something that is not quite right.

And as for the timing gear. I am going to order an alloy set from JP this week and replace them as a precautionary measure.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: