FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 07, 2024, 12:06:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 179 V's 186?  (Read 3257 times)
tmudie

Back on the road again

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2003, 10:14:01 PM »

Hi guys,

I'm collecting bits for my wagon project, and have found a pretty good 179 motor for sale. My original plans were for a 186 with tri-matic, any advice on whether the 179 is as good an option? just looking for any "gotchas" that might make me feel remorse if I go ahead and buy the 179 and it doesnt quite work as well with the tri-matic or whatever. At this stage I also plan to put a complete HR rear end and maybe fuel injection from a VK

The 179 was out of a HD

Thanks

Tony

I hope I wear as well as my FC Holden
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2003, 10:47:16 PM »

AFAIK there's almost no difference between 179 and 186 in terms of performance, economy and so on.  Bolt-up is identical.  If the 179 was out of an EH then I would definitely lean towards it, since it would have the necessary sump and pickup you need.  I would also take a 179 HP over a stock 186.  Otherwise it just depends on the condition of the motor.  If it's a better 179 than the 186 you were looking at, take it.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
brads59

OLD OLDENS=STYLE

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2003, 05:44:28 AM »

Hi Tony,
            I would have to agree with RET,
there is not much differance between the two,but a
HP motor is favourable because of the steel crank,
and allegedly thicker bores,which means you can bore them right out.On the other hand,you could mix n match.
I had a 186 bored to 192 with the crank from a 179 HP
block,with TQ20 cam,2.8 blue 12 port closed chamber head,(good compression and 50% more flow Wink) extractors,350 holley on the varajet manifold in a HR with 4 speed and 336 diff gears and i blew away a few V8's.
So the choices are endless,and the fact that they are holdens makes the whole thing relativley cheap.
CHEERS and goodluck..........BRAD Cool

1959 Black Std sedan
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2003, 06:00:14 AM »

Tony,

Tell the rest of the guys what you told me about this motor's history when you get the chance and you have it in your hot little hands.

RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: