FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 05:37:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Dihatsu charade steering column  (Read 3349 times)
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« on: March 27, 2009, 12:42:39 PM »

Just saw in an FC for sale a Dihatsu charade steering column fitted. How well do they go? Is it a popular conversion?

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 07:43:36 PM »

any one?

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 09:26:47 PM »

I guess they are not that popular  Tongue personally I would go for something a little older like a '70s car as it would look more at home in the FE/FC. I've seen a lot of Hot Rods spoiled by a plasticky, control ridden late model steering column  Roll Eyes

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 10:04:19 PM »

I guess I would have my reservations about using a Charade column for the following reasons;
Like Stinky says - it is plasticky and gadgety and may not suit the car.
It is made for a cheap end of the market car and so has probably been designed to within an inch (mm) of its life and the extra load of a heavier car may be a bit much for it.
The other factor about being designed for a cheap car is that it is probably designed to a specific lifetime and may wear out before you expect as well.

Now I may be being harsh as I have not studied it in detail, but I would compare it to a Commodore column for instance and see how it stacks up.

Ken
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 10:49:48 PM »

I used a Gemini column in my Rod removed the ugly plastic and replaced it with a $20 cocktail shaker for the honey pot looks oldskool and would suit a FE / FC they have a good sized bearing at the top and a needle roller at the bottom,,the  shaft is plenty long and thick enough to turn down 14mm  to suit LH LX UC Torana universals might be an alternative ....FC427.....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 10:57:03 PM »

replaced it with a $20 cocktail shaker for the honey pot
Cool! I have pudding molds on my wheels for the centre caps, forget the speed shop or ebay, head down to your local Kitchen Store  Grin

Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 03:08:46 PM »

I used a Gemini column in my Rod removed the ugly plastic and replaced it with a $20 cocktail shaker for the honey pot looks oldskool and would suit a FE / FC they have a good sized bearing at the top and a needle roller at the bottom,,the  shaft is plenty long and thick enough to turn down 14mm  to suit LH LX UC Torana universals might be an alternative ....FC427.....

cool!

in the shed
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 07:22:10 PM »

I used a Gemini column in my Rod removed the ugly plastic and replaced it with a $20 cocktail shaker for the honey pot looks oldskool and would suit a FE / FC

A cocktail shaker does indeed fit... I bought one for $15 and will fit like a glove - although taking the original honeypot off the column is going to be pain in the bum due to all the wiring. I'm going to be using the lid to the cocktail shaker for a dome cap on my billet steering wheel. Looks pretty trick.  Cool

Ol_Girl_58 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: