FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 09:47:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: towing capacity  (Read 3902 times)
surferboy
wa-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2009, 05:08:45 PM »

Does anybody have details of what the towing capacities of the various models were when they came out of the factory ?
I can't find anything in any manuals

Cool Cool Cool

cruisin's great with a 58
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 05:14:19 PM »

The towing capacity in those days was the unladen weight of the towing vehicle (at least in NSW):

Under Section 115(1) of the Motor Traffic Regulations (1935), it was an offence to:

(stand/drive) a (motor car/station waggon), to wit, (registration), upon a public street, to wit, (street), having attached to the rear thereof for the purpose of being towed a (vehicle/trailer) whose laden weight exceeded the unladen weight of the said (motor car/station waggon).

That law was repealed with the introduction of the Motor Traffic Amendment (Towing and Mass Limits) Regulation 1998.

The law now says you must not exceed the capacity of the towing attachment or the laden weight of the towing vehicle.

FWIW the unladen weight of a FC wagon is 2533lbs, close enough to 1.15 tonnes. I've never seen a load capacity (laden weight) published for sedans/wagons, but the utes/vans are rated at 29cwt, which equates to 1.48 tonnes.

There you go, you've learnt something today Grin

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
surferboy
wa-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 06:38:39 PM »

Thanks RET.

I knew somebody would have an answer

Now I'd be guessing but whats the bet that in 1958 every state, shire, council and local copper had a different rule  Grin Huh Roll Eyes

Did Holden ever publish anything regarding towing with any early model holden ?

Ta  Cool Cool Cool

cruisin's great with a 58
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 07:07:20 PM »

The official NASCO Accessory catalogue for FC doesn't even list the tow-bar, and the dealer price list I have shows it with a non-GMH part number. If they're after-market, it's not surprising there's nothing official on the topic from Holden.

Interestingly, a 1970 GM-H Accessory catalogue I have does show a part number for an FE-EK tow-bar (M35573), so perhaps it was introduced with FB-EK? It would be compatible with FE-FC, since all four models are identical in the floor/chassis area.

Hope that's some help. I imagine the WA Traffic Legislation (current and repealed) would be available somewhere.

RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
TTV6FC
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 09:18:43 PM »

Towing capacity apparently not important,just as long as you're using this new fan-dangled Methyl Benzine.... Grin

Cheers,Jamie.

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 09:40:22 PM »

Good stuff Jamie. How times have changed. Can you imagine a product ad in a car magazine today showing a 7 to 9 year old car?

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 09:48:19 PM »

Good stuff Jamie. How times have changed. Can you imagine a product ad in a car magazine today showing a 7 to 9 year old car?

Well obviously nothing newer was as attractive for the advertisement Grin

But I do love how after going for style with the vehicle, Shell didn't want to over-do it by actually typesetting the ad. Can you imagine a product ad in a car magazine today with the copy hand-typed?

That's classic. Great find.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: