FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 30, 2024, 12:59:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: White Wall Tyres  (Read 4034 times)
smclaren

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2002, 04:38:57 AM »

Hi Guys
Gonna treat myself to a set of white walls. I am starting the process of investigating all options. Seems like a really serious lack of options here in OZ. Keen to hear from any old Holden fans who have done the white wall thing.
I am trying to avoid the following...
- The "cut in" 1" style.
- Flappers
- Cross Plys
I am wanting the ridgy didge 2-3" jobs on radials. Yeah...I know it'll cost a fortune, but keen to see whats out there.
Looks like 13" may be a hassle as well.
Any idea's??
Steve
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2002, 01:05:27 AM »

hi steve,

like your woodie!

i also investigated whitewall options. i ended up going with 14" tyres, and portawalls - thick plastic inserts that clamp between the tyre and the rim - no tubeless tyres! these were really cheap $120 from john's rod and custom in victoria. otherwise to get proper whitewall radials or crossplys, antique tyres (can't remember their number sorry) have commander whitewalls. they cost over $400 per tyre though.

i have had my portawalls for about two years and they still look really good. only thing is you have to occasionally put a rubber grease between the tyre and the whitewall as they can squeak when they rub together as the tyre bulges at the bottom.

i also talked to someone who had somethng similar on 13" tyres, but it was very 'floppy' and soft, and didn't look as durable as the portawalls. they said they got the from antique tyres i think.

you won't regret 14" wheels though. tuck them up under the guards and they look a treat. check out my posts of pics of my car to see the portawalls.

http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=photochop;action=display;num=1040142985

http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=album;action=display;num=1039086265

http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=album;action=display;num=1022133670

simon
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2002, 01:07:17 AM »

WHOOPS! just re-read your message and you said you wanted to avoid flappers.....

disreguard most of my last post then, but give antique tyres a call.

Wink

simon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: