FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:05:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Alternator V Generator  (Read 5222 times)
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Model: FC

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2009, 09:18:55 AM »

Hi Guys
need some advice.
Currently my wagon does not have any charging components in it at all and the wiring is pretty dodgy

What should i put in??? Its running a standard 138 grey motor.
where might i get it and does anyone supply new wiring harnesses??

Are Rare Spares still the main supplier of old holden parts??

Thanks Nick

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
CraigA
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 11:10:28 AM »

If you are really fixed on originality then stick with a generator/regulator. If you want to drive the car regulalry and are looking for a long term and reliable solution then use an interally regulated alternator. About $150.00 brand new and all done.

All you'll need is a modification to the bracket to fit it to the car, and one wire (3-5mm core) from the alternator output to the battery +ve terminal.

The old wiring can be left in place, from memory you only need to connect the two heavy red wires on the regulator together.
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 11:19:46 AM »

They now make Alternators that look like the old style Generators ........Just a thought ......FC427........

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 05:49:47 PM »

Who's "they" ? I reckon there might be a few people interested to know more about these...

RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
-KIWI-

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 07:32:50 PM »

are u shore i sell alternators and starter motors and i ve never seen one
Paul In Ireland
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 08:44:01 PM »

Something like this for a alternator looking like a generator type thing?

http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?sg=1&pgCode=080&sgName=Electrical&pgName=Dynamos+%26+Starters&agCode=1551&agName=Dynalite&pCode=081.200

There would be many others and cheaper but this is just a link I had for another car project.

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 09:02:30 PM »

Thats the style Paul  ;)when I come across the advert again I saw in one of my the USA Hot Rod magazines I will post the details, I seem to remember they were around $200 I think .........FC427........

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
newman

The older I get, the faster I was !!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 09:31:20 PM »

I'm running an alternator with built in reg and it's an obvious improvement on an everyday runner like mine. I guess if you want to stay 100% authentic stick with the generator.
I got my alternator from a HJ at the local wreckers for $50.

Mick
Paul In Ireland
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 09:53:26 PM »

I am going to replace my generator as it is on the blink and put in a new alternator. I want to put on fog lamps, heater and there is a newer electric wiper motor gone in as well. What is the mod needed to the bracket to fir the alternator? Is it a bracket you can buy or is it a bend and fit whats there sort of thing?

Cheers.
 Cool

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: