FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 21, 2024, 09:37:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Vacuum wiper lubrication  (Read 4576 times)
Philby
act-club

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2009, 10:27:29 PM »

Hi All,

Does anyone know what the best lubrication is for a vacuum wiper?

Cheers,

Phil
CraigA
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 10:42:20 PM »

Motor or pump?

The vane inside the motor I usually use a petroleum jelly or general purpose grease, while the pump one way valves do not really need any lubrication.

A good tip is to disassemble the mechanism where it passes through the cowl and clean and lubricate it with a light oil. Many of the ones I've pulled apart have old gummed up grease and this really affects the successful operation of the wiper assembly.

Another good practice is to clean and lubricate the wiper motor switch and cable. These can get very tight and besides being a bastard to use have a tendency to crack the knob around the locating screw.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 12:21:02 PM »

It's also very important to check that you're getting good vacuum from the petrol pump. If the hose is perished or blocked, no amount of rebuilding the wiper motor will make any difference.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 09:17:29 PM »

I'm not so sure the paddle material is neoprene or oil resistant material. It is 50 year old technology!
I have always used rubber grease just in case it does swell with a petroleum based lubricant. If it is susceptible to oil it will be stuffed. Does anyone know for sure what the paddle rubber is made from?

Ken
CraigA
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 09:40:19 PM »

Good point Ken.

I'm sure you've pulled lots more of these apart than I have but my recollection of the originals I've dismantled is that the manufacturer installed lubricant is more like a brown/reddish general purpose grease. Maybe it is a rubber grease after all? 

Oh well, to those of you who've had lubrication of your wiper motors carried out by me - YOU'RE WARRANTY IS NOW OVER  Grin
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 10:11:38 PM »

When I worked at Shell many years ago they had an old store that had a lot of old products. Shell use to make  special lubricant's for GMH very often in 44 gallon drums such as GMH Door Hardware grease  the white grease we find all around the locks and window winders [still have some] GMH Rubber grease and others with just GMH and a Number it is quiet possible that this was a special grease made for this purpose.....just a thought ........FC427........

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Philby
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 08:36:23 AM »

G'day all,

Thanks very much guys.

I might give the rubber grease a go then update this thread later.  I’m only planning on using the vacuum wipers until I find an electric one so it may not be the best road test but it might help someone else doing a wiper rebuild.

BTW I’m going to try making my own gaskets from the thread John started http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,13783.0.html .

If anyone has tried this I’d be keen to hear how you went.

Cheers,

Phil
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: