FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 17, 2024, 11:54:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: rares horn cap  (Read 2722 times)
waynos

Model: FC

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2008, 02:32:06 PM »

i bought a rae spares horn cap,it has blue in the centre.is this correct for an fc,all the ones i have seen on cars and ebay don't have this
are they all faded?

The grinder is mightier than the sword.
coolaride
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 03:41:46 PM »

hey

there is a good pic on this thread about horn buttons

hope it helps

c-ride  Wink

http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,8190.0.html
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 05:00:50 PM »

I can add a little new information to this thread, and add my conclusions on the theme which have gone into one chapter of my book.
Firstly BOTH the FE and FC sales brochure show a steering wheel with a horn cap which is red with a blue centre - this is the main reason why we decided that the Rares repro should be this colour.

Now you would be aware that the FB/EK came out with a black horn button with different coloured stars in it to match the colour of the cars interior. I believe that GMH experimented with coloured centres in the FC range - definitely the late 59 cars but probably earlier back to the 10th anniversary in 1958. The coloured buttons are more prominent in FC's rather than FE's.

Now most of you would know that I used to redo the boot badges etc with paint and have them metallised fairly successfully - I became quite used to the badges coming back with a nice shiny chrome lion until lo and behold I opened up a package straight from the metallisers and the lion was gold!!!
I rang them and asked what they had done to make the lion gold and they said "not a thing - it just came out that way" After that initial shock over the years a few more gold ones appeared
  CONCLUSION - Gold lion horn buttons exist because there is something in the plastic which when metallised it comes out gold.

And yes I checked the plastic was not old and yellowed before I sent it in - it was a nice crisp clear badge with no cracking or smokiness about it.

Hope this helps to clarify this subject

Ken
waynos

Model: FC

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 08:36:56 PM »

argh the midas touch .
thanks for clearing that up

The grinder is mightier than the sword.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print