FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 30, 2024, 07:13:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Diagnosis required  (Read 2924 times)
Paul In Ireland
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2008, 10:28:54 AM »

Of late, the generator light comes on sometimes when I drive the ute - sometimes the regulator gets a bit hot and I thought I may be developing prolems. I hadn't realised until this week the many different brightnesses that the little red light can achieve or the flashing patterns that it is capable of. I was driving the ute to work all week and it would be 80km round trip daily. Mechanically no problems as the ute is pretty sharp.

Anyway, tonight was most interesting as I started to hear a loud noise from the engine bay. I stoppped and had a look. There is a sound that could be best described as an old fashioned fire alrm bell going off but you put your hand on the bell to stop the ringing noise but you still here the hammer going hell for leather. The sound is either coming from the alternator or fan or somewhere in the front of the engine.

Can anybody hazard a guess as to what I am facing or what I can look for?

Thanks,

Paul
 Cool

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 10:46:32 AM »

Paul drop the fan belt of and turn the water pump and generator by hand if the noise is as bad as you say you will soon feel the problem, if they feel good and not noisy or grindie, start the engine with out the fan belt and see if the noise is there you can safely run the engine with out the water pump for a couple of minutes, if the noise is gone when you start the engine it has to be the water pump or the generator ........FC427........

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
ridgey_didge
act-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 11:38:04 AM »

Or it could be a uniquely Irish problem - have you checked for any of the little people under the bonnet?  Wink

David

FE_STD_WAGON
qld-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 12:35:32 PM »

Hi Paul,

If the water pump and generator feel smooth it will more than likely be a loose harmonic balancer pulley
The grey motor harmonic balancer consists of 5 parts, that are all riveted together ,2 of these parts are rubber insulators and they deteriorate over time and from oil getting on them from the timing case seal and the the metal part start coming loose hence you noise. Hope this helps

Regards Mick
FEHOLDEN

like all good things...it will happen eventually.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 11:32:21 PM »

gidday Paul

Not 100% sure about grey but red water pump baring has a distinctly "fire bell like" sound to it when it is about to go. Try checking as per FC427 and see how this goes.

HTH

Denis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: