FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 01, 2024, 12:03:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Door cards for my FC  (Read 7787 times)
lucky_gwen

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2008, 08:52:40 PM »

Hello, my name is Janette and I am new to the forum. I have just purchased an FC and it needs new door cards on all 4 doors. Can they be made up or do I have to buy new ones. I am in Canberra and not sure where to buy them from.

Cheers
Janette
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 08:59:36 PM »

Janette, most trimmers would be able to make these up for you using your originals as patterns. Or are you looking for some replacements to do the job yourself?
You could purchase door trims from members of the forum and remove the trim and refit your own and get away with a pretty low cost if this sort of thing is what you are looking to do.
I don't know of them being available "off the shelf" anywhere to my knowledge as a new part.
I have a number of door trims with reasonably good cards, but I am in Melbourne. Maybe there are others around the Canberra / Sydney area that have door trims for sale with good cards in them.

Ken
lucky_gwen

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 09:09:35 PM »

Hi Ken, thanks for your information.
The cards that are on them at the moment seem like they are made out of chip board and are falling apart, so I'm not sure if they are original or not.
Aparentally the car has been re-upholstered, not sure how long ago, but I was going to try to fix them myself if I had the right cards for them. By the way, this site is excellent for information.

Janette

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 09:19:37 PM »

3mm MDF or Luan ply will do the job, if you have good templates and are half-decent with a jigsaw you'll have a set in no time. There is an ebay store that sells EK/FB trims, not sure if they do FE/FC though.

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 09:20:17 PM »

Janette, sounds as if your cards are not original as they were certainly not of wooden construction. The best way to describe them would be a very heavily compressed cardboard material. Dark brown in colour with stamped holes for the handles and retaining clips. I would suggest obtaining a set of good originals to start with.

Ken
lucky_gwen

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 09:43:51 PM »

Thanks again for all the information.
I have another FC sedan on my lawn which is a rusty wreck, so I will get my partner to pull the door trims off and have a look if they are original and hopefully they are in good condition.

Thanks everyone

Janette
FX1975
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 12:26:19 PM »

Restorers paradise on the gold coast sell repro cards not sure of their no. though they do have an ebay store
                        Hope this helps
                                    Frank
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 09:16:48 PM »

Replacement door cards are available manufactured in 2.5mm Masonite ready to cover with all the trim clip holes my mate the TRIMER got them for me I will ask where from if you need them ......FC427.....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
lucky_gwen

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 05:31:52 PM »

Bought some 3mm MDF today, so hopefully we can trace the old door cards good enough to cut them out properly. It only cost me $12 so if it doesn't work then I didn't lose too much money.
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 07:43:10 PM »

I think thin masonite would be a better material to use  for the door cards as MDF will swell with moisture.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »

Just seal the backs with paint, I've found masonite too brittle if you ever need to remove the trims again.

lucky_gwen

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 07:11:53 PM »

Just an update on my door cards, my partner made a template, cut out the cards, sanded them nicely and today I re-attached the vynal door trims to 2 of the cards. So far they look great. Had no clamps to hold it all together, so I improvised and used clothes pegs. Just need more door clips to re-attach the trim to the doors.

Cheers
Janette
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 10:46:44 PM »

If you can't come up with any local, send me a PM and I can post out a handfull to you. Don't buy the ones on ebay as they are a rip off.

lucky_gwen

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 09:02:30 AM »

Well door trims are all finished. Thanks to Keith (EEFCEE) for helping me out with the 15 door trim clips that I needed.

All I need now is the chrome strips that go along the top of the door trims. So if anyone has some that they don't need and would like to sell, then I would be most interested. Will post photos of door trims being made when I work out how to post them.

Thanks all
Janette
Maco
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 09:11:47 AM »

Hi Janette,

I think I may have some trims, I will check and advise you over the next day or two.

Cheers
John

Better in Green
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: