FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 09:30:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Origin and vintage of "Armourglas" glass  (Read 2831 times)
FB_Ute

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2008, 06:57:40 PM »

Hi all,

Does anyone know whether window glass with these markings are from the 1960s or 1970s (or later, maybe)?

I'm trying to work out whether the one on the left is 1963 or 1973 (the dot's under the "M"), and likewise, whether the one on the right is 1960 or 1970 (the dot's over the "S" in "Armourglas").  The glass is from the quarter vent windows on our FB ute.

Thank you!

Cheers .... jacquie
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 09:29:23 PM »

Sorry can't help, these etchings are not the same as FE FC glass etchings so hopefully someone with an FB or EK can help you.

Ken
FB_Ute

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 08:14:55 AM »

Thanks, Ken.  I should have also said that this glass can't be original.  Original FB glass was "Armourplate Safety Glass" and I'm guessing GMH wouldn't have fitted different glass in the quarter vent windows.  Even if different glass was fitted, the dots on the Armourglas logos give timeframes that don't make sense for a car that we believe was assembled in December 1960 or January 1961.  So it has to be replacement glass. 

But the origin and vintage of the Armourglas glass in our ute is proving frustratingly elusive.  The only reference to Armourglas that I've found thus far was on a Ford forum in the UK.  That dated the glass to the 1960s.  However, though the logo on the Ford forum was strikingly similar to the photo on the right, it was different enough for me not to shout "Eureka!".  I've talked to Pilkington but they couldn't help.  So I'm hoping someone, somewhere, will know something about it.  In the meantime, I'll just have to keep hunting.  :-)

Cheers & thanks again .... jacquie

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: