FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 28, 2024, 11:24:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: New family member  (Read 3931 times)
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2008, 09:19:59 AM »

Hi everyone.

Beryl, our EJ, has gone to a new home, so I thought I might share with you our newest family member.

This is Gladys, like Thelma - our FC -, named after her original owner until February this year. This lady bought this Fowlers Ivory over Saltbush Green 149 manual in July 1964 when she was 50. She sold it when she was 93! It has 35,000 miles recorded, which I believe to be original, the condition would indicate this.

The car came with all of its books, original purchase receipt, number plates, etc., The paint is almost all original and she drives well.

Cheers
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
Johns

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 06:35:37 PM »

Hi all.

We've now changed all of the fluids and I've had a chance to clean Gladys up a bit. Here are some photos.

Red motors are sooo smooth, but it's not as comfortable at very low revs in 2nd gear as a grey, short stroke I guess.

Cheers
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
NosFEratu
Guru

Model: FE

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 08:13:28 PM »

Very nice car there John. 

It brings back so many memories for me.  Smiley  It's the spitting image of mine and my sister's first "share" car  when I was 16 - "George the EH".   Smiley

Dad made the car yard put the stock wheels back on it cos the mags scrubbed so we made up for it by "customising" it.  Can't you just see it with a whip aerial, very thin strip of prism tape down the sides, home-made furry leopard print seat covers for it and a little stuffed tiger and leopard toy in each corner on top of a fur covered rear parcel shelf!?  Grin  It was one cool looking car in our 16 and 20 year old minds! We heaps of fun in George! We were the terror of the roads - especially for groups of cyclists when we'd drive past several times leaning out to pinch their bums - and if we missed the 1st time we'd chuck a "U"ey and keep going back until we got one! Funny - but they didn't seem to mind the harassment!  Wink

Our older brother ended up with George when Dad gave us his HT Monaro in '79 when my sister and I moved to Melbourne for a while. George got stolen one night and ended up wrapped around a pole in the national park - pity, it was such a good car too!   Cry

Gladys has certainly held up well for her age - I hope you have (almost) as much fun with her as we did with George.  Wink

Kathi  Cool

NosFEratu
FCOV6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 09:12:23 PM »

Noice EH, was also my first car, payed $75 for it 179HP with hydramatic. Only sold it because it had a few rust spots and i bought my FC which was 95% rust free for $100.
HAD 708

Holdens and the Mighty Woodsmen truly magnificent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 07:09:05 AM »

John
 Beautiful car as we have all come to expect from your great stable of cars! My Eh whilst not in the same league as yours is as you say so lovely and smooth though i am glad you mentioned the 2nd gear issue as i have eactly the same thing and i thought it was just me!? My 149 special is a joy to drive so smooth and keeps up no probs with modern traffic speeds whilst not half killing yourself and car to do so.
Congratulations
Brett

Brett Gillard
Johns

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 10:56:46 PM »

Thanks for the comments guys.

Kathi, that's a great story and I doubt that I'll have as much fun in Gladys as you did in George Tongue. As a cyclist, I wish that had happened to me, but since I look like a spinnaker in lycra I guess not...

Cheers
John

NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 08:34:25 AM »

Hi John

I'm sure you and Gladys will have much more "refined" fun than my sister and I had in George!  And hey, they were was discrimination on our parts - everyone was fair game!  Grin

Enjoy - she looks a fine example!

Kathi  Cool

NosFEratu
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: