FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:03:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Vacuum wiper motor gaskets  (Read 8508 times)
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2008, 05:07:38 PM »

Hi everyone.

For those who have decided to retain vacuum wipers, the greatest problem in refurbishing motors is obtaining the gaskets. I have just bought a NOS gasket set and have a scan of the gaskets ( can't figure out how to post it). They are on very thin paper.

Does anyone know who may be able to reproduce these gaskets? if so this scan in actual size may help in having them remade.

Please let me know if you can help

Cheers
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 05:39:08 PM »

It can be very difficult to get a scan printed to the right dimensions, the best thing to do is to scan a ruler at the same time so there is a point of reference.

KFH
qld-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 05:46:02 PM »

Hi John

I cannot help you with anybody who can make them.  I have not pulled my vacuum wiper apart yet so do not know the complexity of the gaskets.  My suggestion, without knowing the shape of them, is to perhaps use a sharp scalpel and scissors to cut them to shape.  Maybe it is possible to use a ball pane hammer and lightly tap around the edge of the area where where edge needs be and cut the gasket this way.  This works well for making gaskets with ordinary gasket material.

As for placing the gasket outline on the forum.  Scan the gaskets as a JPEG image and attach it as normal.  Put a dimension on it so when printed this can be checked for actual size.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
Johns

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 11:27:08 AM »

Thanks for the help guys.

Here is a scan of the gaskets. As you can see Keith they are very delicate and hard to cut.

I can send a file with them in actual size if anyone needs them.

Hope this helps

Cheers
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
Maco
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 01:00:28 PM »

Nice work,
John Grin Grin

Better in Green
Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 01:02:49 PM »

John,

The parts need to be drawn to exactly the correct profile before they can be reproduced.

If I was to solve the problem, I would take the jpeg images, one by one, and insert them into my cad software.
If I had an original gasket to work with, I would then scale the image in the cad software until I had a precise/exact 1:1 scale drawing.
I would then trace around the profile, do a bit of cleaning up etc, etc, and voila I have an exact reproduction.
Then off to find someone with a computer controlled cutting tool, of a 'knife' or 'laser' nature, and then with a bit of luck 'bobs your uncle'.

Pretty easy really, but there are a few 'tricky' variables that could stuff you up!

Cheers Geoff_K
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 12:37:39 PM »

If I was to solve the problem

So what's stopping you? Wink

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
FX1975
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 05:38:38 PM »

Hello John,
     This guy at Toongabbie remanufactures carby gaskets and may be able to help
         D.Page
         83 Cornelia Road
         Toongabbie NSW
         Ph. 02 9631 5748
                    Hope this helps
                            Frank
Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 09:57:28 AM »

John & RET,

For the forseeable future my wiper problems are solved:

FE-217 - Genuine Nasco Electric conversion wipers - Done 2004
FE-225 - HK 2 speed electric with washers - Done 1972 / Certified 2006
FE-219 - Genuine Nasco Electric conversion wipers - Waiting to be fitted, one day!
FE-225 - Vacuum - I will pull it apart (as I have done in the 1960-70's) and fix it, then and only then will I need to make up a new 'wiping gasket'

Rhetorical Question!, if you want some help, please ask, meanwhile I am busy making up other custom bits and pieces for current projects, AND I don't have on the table the vacuum wiper gaskets to work with.

Geoff_K
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 10:32:34 AM »

John, This bloke at Toongabbie that Frank mentions has been around forever & should be able to do it, I have not used his services but my brother has with his fleet of old cars & has recommended him to me in the past.
Cheers, Gary
PS Geoff, where did you find 2 Genuine Nasco Electric conversion wiper motors  Huh
Johns

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 11:52:50 AM »

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I don't need any gaskets myself, I was thinking this might help others who decide to persist with vacuum wipers as the gaskets appear to be the hardest part of a rebuild. I'm happy to try to get some made up if there is any interest.

Is there?

Cheers
John

Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 06:36:27 PM »

Gary, John ....,

I think there is a demand out there, and with todays plastics and cutting technology a good retro unit should be possible.
With all things like this, it is science combined with experimentation and some luck.

As far as helping, I can easily draw it up if the NOS parts are made available.
What I can't do at present is find the 'repro plastic/etc' or bench test the prototype's produced.

As far as the NASCO units go, I got lucky twice:
once in 1972 when I scrapped an FC and decided to keep this 'interesting' looking wiper motor;
and again in 2005 when I found a wreck, that had almost nothing on it except a NASCO accessory wiper unit that this time I recogonised as being special.

Cheers Geoff_K
FX1975
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 05:17:09 PM »

I'd take a couple of sets if they became available
                       Thanks
                              Frank
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 01:26:51 PM »

Phil has a NOS set on ebay.
Ebay Item #370082204050
Regards
Alex

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: