FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 12:10:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Any one a spray painter? Matt/ satin advice wanted...  (Read 5587 times)
2door350

Model: FE

RAT 059

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2008, 12:19:44 AM »

Gday All
I have been exploring satin/matt finishes for my two door, cant find a difinitive answer as to what works best...there are some good ready made products  - DuPont Hot hues Hot rod black, and a product called hot rod flatz from the states, would prefer to have it two tone, maybe a green and white combo.  Has anyone experimented with this?
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 08:30:21 AM »

The satin on my FE Sedan was done by using a flattening agent in the paint, not sure what the painter used exactly though  Undecided

dazzaK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 12:23:44 PM »

Hello mate i am a spraypainter been out of the game for 3 years but still a good hobby the easiest way about going about this would be use a standard colour black/green keep in mind you can only use solid colours whatever colour and and add flattening base i would use a 2 pack system with the same brand flattening base follow the data sheets for correct mixing otherwise it can go pearshaped eg chalky. acrylic systems if you can still find shops that still deal in acrylic would be easier and cheaper to do by yourself as it is a lot easier to spray but a lot less relisient to the elements. any good paint shop should be able to help you out
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 07:24:02 PM »

i've sprayed pearls with flattening agents with no dramas, not a spray painter but have painted heaps of flat/satin colours you really need to play around a bit depending on the finish usually between 5-10% flattening agent this is in acrylics
waynos

Model: FC

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 06:55:22 PM »

definately go acrylic if ya gonna spray it yourself,you can rub runs out easily ,and if its ya first job you'll be gettin some for sure .
its cheaper to buy ,and of course its old school and thats what i go for.
Every spray painter i talked to said go 2 pak
but i wanted to go the old way.
Not sure where ya from,but talk to r&d paints in condell park sydney
pm me if ya need the number

The grinder is mightier than the sword.
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 04:30:02 PM »

i think they all say 2 pak cause it's so easy to spray and all they can think about with acrylic is cutting and buffing which you obviously don't do with flat
waynos

Model: FC

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 10:52:09 PM »

there is also a difference between matte  and flat(i learnt the hard way, buying flats when i wanted a matte finish)

The grinder is mightier than the sword.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: