FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 05:44:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Exhaust sizes - what works?  (Read 19010 times)
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

Model: FC

getting there...

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2008, 08:25:31 PM »

Hi all,

I need a new exhaust system on my FC as the system I have on their now has rusted out.

My question is - what's the best system for overall performance/sound?

I had my heart set on a two inch twin system - I think it would look sweet, but a few people have said that it makes the motor 'bark' and sound unpleasant.

Another option was a single three inch dump pipe that finished just before the diff and aimed at the ground.

Basically I want a tough sounding FC - something that will sound really lumpy, grumpy and tough, that will be heard before it's seen. Like a cammed up car without the big cam. It's powered by a warm 192 Red (hopefully soon with triple Dellortos).

What's the best set up to got for? Is it beneficial to go with stainless or not? How about a hot dog?

I heard a couple of XU1 Torana's racing at Baskerville a while ago and those old things sounded mighty tough. Something like a grumpy Bathurst racer would be pretty sweet.

Kind regards,

Ol_Girl_58

Revhead_Fc
nsw-club

just put a chev in it

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 08:53:22 PM »

Ive had a few different exhaust systems in fc's it just depends on what your after twin pipes have a bark to them if you run a 3 inch pipe i wouldn't have it dumped at the diff as it is really noisey and quite unpleasant on the ears but if you run a 3 inch all the way to the back they have a really nice deep sound. A single 2.5 inch exhaust would probably give you the best in alround performance and sound this is the one that i would go for.
Hope this helps
Ben
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »

i wouldn't have it dumped at the diff as it is really noisey and quite unpleasant on the ears but if you run a 3 inch all the way to the back they have a really nice deep
Gee Ben, i never thought anything could be too loud for you, have you tamed down since getting a chick or what?
 as ben says twin pipes are barky, i would just go as free flowing as possible and make it quiter with soundproofing.
 performance and economy wise, a smaller pipe has no advantage other than being less likely to scrape, the rest is old wives tales, some people say they get less economy but its becuase they floor it more to make a big noise.

NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 09:31:40 PM »

sounds like you are after a 2.5" with 1 x 12" long straight through offset muffler.

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 09:40:24 PM »

FCCOOL thats my system except 14'' straight through muffler ... Who has built there own extractors with 1 7/8'' primary pipes Huh? I need to go down this path soon as the old extractors were inadequate for the blown engine .......FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 09:54:14 PM »

mark, ive got a set of extractors lying around with what appears to be larger primaries, i'll check the size for you tomorrow if yoyur interested.

as far as systems go i am running a 3 inch straight through system on mine with turbo muffler and the souns is nice and deep as ben said. mine will be dumped just before the body ends, just to clean the rear apperance up a bit.

dean

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 10:52:07 PM »

Hi Dean Let me know what size they are Thanks ....FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 08:19:45 AM »

OL Girl, those Toranas you talk about would most likely have basically open exhausts. The Appendix J guys have a very small hot dog with the exhaust coming out under the left rear door. The hot dog is only there to get under the 97 dB limit.
Colin.

colt
Bob_FC_Ute

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 09:47:21 AM »

I used to run a 179 with Genie Extractors, 24" Lukey muffler placed well forward, close to the extractors, and a 2.5" system all the way to the back. It sounded really sweet and distinctive. Then I tried a twin system using hot dogs with no balance pipe. This was loud and barky but I wouldn't say it sounded any good. I will be using the lukey on my FC ute which has a 186. Regards Bob
Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 01:09:52 PM »

G'day,I run a slighty warm 202 with extractors, a 2 1/4 exhaust with a hot dog , sounds pretty good.
                                             Cheers Rusty

Bogans rule
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 01:36:18 PM »

"magnaflow" mufflers sound great IMO

nice tone without the bark.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 07:16:52 PM »

you won't get a lumpy idle with out a lumpy cam
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 08:29:14 PM »

Ol girl,if you want to hear a nice sounding FC,go to Alex's' (custom FC)post "making of a bad girl" and watch the videos...actually just realised his is a grey so might sound a little different...Great sounding car just the same.FCCOOL has a nice sounding RED motor also and has some videos posted on his thread.Cheers,Jamie.

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
Sideplate
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 09:40:07 PM »

Josh, I run a warm grey but its extractors 2 and quater cut off at diff with a louvered hotdog and sounds sensational.
Revhead_Fc
nsw-club

just put a chev in it

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 12:31:46 PM »

Hey Leon
Na i haven't "tamed down after getting a chick" Smiley :)I'm still running dual 3 inch exhaust on my wagon which is real load.  Its just when i had my fc with a single 3 inch cut at the diff it had a real terrible drown which was unbearable at certain revs.

Ben
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 04:36:17 PM »

good to hear ben, two 3" pipes sounds like the go.
 i still remember hearing the HR approach my house, from a few blocks away, chev v8, gear drives, stally and loud exhaust.

Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2008, 12:15:26 AM »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

So what would the best size to have if I want to dump it at the diff? Would it be beneficial to have a hot dog on it - I want to get as close to a circuit-racer sound as possible, but still be legal if the cops pull me over.

Cheers,

Ol_Girl
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2008, 07:47:06 AM »

i would still be a bit cautious about dumping at the diff, as ben stated the resonance would be pretty terrible but if you were to angle the pipes so they were to aim outward from the car say like "chevy dumps" behind back wheels it would be better, maybe? i still think you would want to push the gasses away from the car as best you can.

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2008, 01:14:45 PM »

I think from memory the exhaust has to finish 100mm past the last passenger door opening to be legal, that was why Ute's and Van's were allowed side pipes but not sedans and wagons .....FC427.....

smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2008, 01:27:14 PM »

that was my understanding too, i guess if you wanted to you could weld the back doors shut, and then you could dump it out the side Undecided Undecided
seen it done but not a big fan of it.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: