FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 05:30:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: A pillar rust  (Read 7820 times)
bill

Norman

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2008, 07:11:19 PM »

Gentlemen, I have been reading and enjoying your comments for some time now. Your knowledge and enthusiasm is infectious. Now, I have an ‘I don’t get it’. I have had Norman for 12 months and was hoping to keep him on the road for a while – not to be.

I started pulling him down when the engine died and rego ran out.

Of course I found plenty of rust!!!

The front floor, sections of the cross member, inner sills and A frame need repair.

Which brings me to my problem – the bottom of the A frame – what does this look like when healthy? Does the Rares’ inner sill run all the through to the front lip of the pillar, does it have the shaping/housingfor the subfame or is that part of the A pillar, does the sill finish behind the A pillar? What does the bottom 100cms of the A pillar look like is it one piece? I am a mug and have done very little metal fabrication so don’t want to go cutting too far until I have more of an understanding.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 10:36:51 PM by stinky » Logged
bill

Norman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 10:54:53 PM »

By the way i didn't say that Norman is a Standard 215

NO:   FE-215-5185-S
TRIM:   169-638
PAINT:   253-0700
    -
RPO:      TOP

Other Details
Chassis Number:   FC-38885-S
Engine Number:   7412817
 Results and ExplanationFE-215-5185-S   Vehicle is an FE Standard Sedan, the 5,185th manufactured in Sydney, NSW.
169-638   The Exterior Trim Code (169) describes this car as Single-Tone: Granite Grey.The Interior Trim Code (638) refers to: Fall Red.
253-0700   The paint colour is Unknown colour code 0700 (in DUCO Lacquer)
FC-38885-S   The vehicle was assembled during 1959, and was the 37,885th FE (in any bodystyle) assembled in Sydney, NSW.
7412817   Manufacture date (based on engine number) is Unknown (Not an FE/FC engine no - should look like Lnnnnnn)

Geoff already has these numbers and thinks there is something not quite right with the paint/trim details.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 01:03:01 PM by RET » Logged
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 01:08:57 PM »

Hi Bill,

I moved your last message into this thread, and it looks like Glenn fixed the image links for you as well.

The paint and trim numbers look OK to me - it's the ID plate and chassis numbers that don't match.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 08:09:41 PM »

The inner sill continues to the front of the car but has a different shape at the front where the subframe bolts on, the Rares replacement does not have this shape so it has to be fabricated. The important part that must be got right is where the subframe is held against the sill, the rest is not critical. Are you replacing the outer sill?  It is very hard to repair the bottom of the A pillar well if the outer sill is going to be left in place as the bottom of the A pillar extends under the outer sill for about 5 inches. There is a heavy duty crush tube/box inside the bottom of the A pillar which locates the bolt that holds the subframe leg on and this adds strength to the whole area and is also essential to be repaired if rusty - you should be able to see it through the hole in the inner sill where the crossmember was.

Ken
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 09:03:18 PM »

Is the car actually an FE with an FC front subframe & grille or did you do a typo?

Ken
bill

Norman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 09:39:43 PM »

Ken, thanks for the information. As far as I know the car is an FC standard and talking with Richard I believed it to later 59. However, it has been through a lot in 50years and it is possible the subframe changes were made when it was resprayed (in 1990 according to some receipts I have). The chasis no. is certainly stamped on the rh subframe rail. It has already had some pieces welded in the bottom of the A pillar before, which is partly why I am uncertain of the true structure in the bottom pillar.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 09:51:28 PM »

Bill your post says FE 215 on the ID plate - or did you mean FC 215

Ken
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 11:48:52 PM »

Hey Ken.
The pic of the id plate in the album shows it to be an FC 215.
By the way Bill. Good to see the car is getting some attention. Sounds like 'he' has had a full life and deserves it. Good luck with the rebuild.
Check out some of the build up threads on the board. A few of them show rebuilding the A pillar and may be of some help.
Regards
Alex

bill

Norman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 08:43:53 PM »

My bad, I used the calculator on the site twice, I made that mistake of FE the first time and then of course, thats the one I copied to this thread.
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 10:38:11 PM »

Hey Bill,if you go to my Black FC rebuild thread "It has begun ,but will it continue" you can see some of the photos of the A pillar repairs that I did.I have more pics if you need them.Cheers,Jamie

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
bill

Norman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 10:38:18 PM »

Thanks Jamie, I have had a look and while it helps it still creates more questions. As Ken suggested I have started to remove the outer sill to get a better look but I am working around past repairs where  sections of floor have been welded up to the top of the sills. I am trying to get a clear picture of the best way to remove the outer sill and from what i can see there is very little left at the bottom of the A pillar: your photos help (photo no.s 733,789,865, 886) and more details of these areas would be good if you have them. Thanks again.
Rabbitoh
vic-club

Model: FE

FE - 'King of Cars'

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 11:01:12 AM »

Hey Bill,
 what are the cars rear quarters like after being on it's side like that? Shocked

Fortius Quo Fidelius 1966; Saints' 2nd in 2025?
Bunnies' 22nd in 2025?
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 09:29:24 PM »

Hey Bill,check your messages.I've sent you some more pictures.Cheers Jamie.

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: