FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 06:35:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Converting FE to Hr brakes & diff.  (Read 5400 times)
Brad

Model: FC

My FC Van in 1986 and I still have It

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2008, 06:53:27 PM »

Hello all
         I have recently got hold of an FE sedan and a HR van with disk brakes. I am planing on putting the HR front end and diff onto the FE.
        Questions . 
                      Does the HR diff simply bolt onto the FE springs ?
                      Does the HR front end bolt straight up to the FE  K frame ? 
                               I know the front outrigger has to be changed
                      Can I use the FE outrigger ?
                      What is the best steering column to use FE or FB/ EK or can I use the HR column ?
                              I plan to use the HR drag link and pittman arms.
                      Will I have problems using them ?
         I will also be using the booster from the van.
        The car will be a daily driver for my wife and the brake upgrade is to make it safer and more compatable with todays cars . ABS , 4 wheel disks , etc etc.
       We have not deiced on a motor / engine yet but it definitely will not be a V8 so this is just a brake issue.
         Any info will be greatly appreciated.
                  Thanks Brad.

Id rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 09:09:02 PM »

HR diff will fit but isn't easy as it has different mounts,front end will bolt up if you fit FE outrigger, column will fit but you have to re drill bolt hole, drag link and pitman arm will fit, definately fit booster as it makes a big difference to pedal pressure, did the same setup for my missus in an EK, also fitted a rear swaybar,186 &trimatic, drove like a sports car,wife happy= me happy Grin

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 10:00:13 PM »

Brad, Firstly there is a complete story in the tech section on how to fit a HR front end. Don't use the FE outrigger, it doesn't fit without mods - FB to EH outrigger will go straight on and will look a whole lot better.
The HD / HR diff is a bolt up deal - use new FE / FC rubbers in the HR mounts. The HD / HR diff should be used as this makes the rear wheel cylinder diameter change easy - you must use the wheel cylinders in the rear which are for a disc brake front end so if you use everything from your van, it should be right.

The story in the tech section goes through all the little mods that have to be made to make it work.

The HR steering box just needs a slight elongation of the hole to make it fit which is easiest done with one of those drill bits which has a file side on it. The FC box has 3 bolts attaching it to the subframe but the HR one only has 2 bolts - this is not an issue, but you should seal up the unused hole so water and dirt doesn't go into the subframe. Indicators need rewiring to suit the HR electrics in the column.

The HR drag links all bolt up fine and the booster must be used.

Ken
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 10:16:59 PM »

a little side note to this you may be able to help me with, i'm doing an EK but leaving the original king pin front in it, with the steering arms/drag link i have EK type and HR type both complete is there a benefit with either set up
i figure the HR just based on it being later model Huh
Brad

My FC Van in 1986 and I still have It

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 06:28:43 PM »

Thanks alot for the replies .
            Looks like I'll be reading up on the info in the tech section. I knew I'd seen a post about it somewhere on the forum but had forgoten all about about the tech section  Tongue .
           I might post some pics of the build when I get started . I'm hoping that It will be a quick build as It's not a full resto , just a slap together driver for the missus  . But then again sometimes I can't help myself Grin. I'm already thinking about putting it on the rotisserie  Undecided.
                                         Brad.

Id rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 09:07:54 PM »

ratbox, are you running a grey?  I'm pretty sure the HR draglinks foul on the grey engine sump but are OK on the red EH sump.

Ken
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 09:50:23 PM »

Yep thats right Ken fowls on grey engine sump with HR steering arms I put 10mm spacers under the side mounts of a car a few months back when I did the conversion to HR front end  it was just a temporary measure till I swap the engine to a red to keep him going  ......FC427........

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 01:49:41 PM »

will be a red thanks
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »

Does it foul the sump on a Grey Engine if using FC steering with HR front end?

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 05:07:50 PM »

That should be OK because you have not changed the steering box or idler arm location from standard .....FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 09:11:18 PM »

The difference between the HR draglink and the FC one is the HR draglink centre section is kicked forward to allow for the use of ball joints in the steering links, whereas the FC draglink runs straight between the steering and idler arms.

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: