FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 06, 2024, 08:44:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 179 HP  (Read 17636 times)
GREGD

FE & FC HOLDENS ROAR

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2008, 03:07:46 PM »

HI ALL

ITS TIME TO SELL THE 179 HP I HAVE HORDED ALL THESE YEARS.
THE BLOCK IS A BIT SAD (BEEN BORED 120 THOU) A COUPLE OF BORES NEED SOME ATTENTION BUT THE CRANK, ROD AND PISTONS (THAT ARE NOT THAT OLD) ARE GOOD

$200 ONO

PM ANY QUESTIONS

CHEERS
GREGD
GREGD

FE & FC HOLDENS ROAR

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 07:38:48 PM »

WHAT IF I SAID $100 ONO?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh

GREG
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 07:54:51 PM »

What is a standard bore 179 HP long engine worth these days Huh Huh .......FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 01:02:17 PM »

if it's like most things, if you have one it's worth nothing Shocked if you want one it's worth an arm & a leg Angry
i'm getting one on the weekend for nothing plus a 186 with EH sump Grin
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 01:14:29 PM »

Doesn't that always seem to be the way it goes, especially if you need to sell something Roll Eyes

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
peterwmh

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 12:06:13 PM »

I think the problem is that some believe the HP block to be something special, which it isn't, every 179 engined EH had one!!

Regards

Peter

Never late with a 308!!!!
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 01:00:59 PM »

I think the confusion of thinking the HP blocks were something special stems from the HP 308 blocks. These were special, where as you say all 179 EH holdens were fitted with a HP block

If it has been bored 0.120" larger with the bores needing attention, then there wouldn't be too much special about this particular HP block unless you were using it to do a concours restoration on an EH and were prepared to have the bock sleeved.

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 01:24:57 PM »

Effcee,I'd be interested in knowing what you think is special about a HP 308 block ?
ACE  Cool
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 02:03:02 PM »

I always thought EH's came out with 179 & 179---HP and the HP got the steel crank and had a higher compression ratio by about 1/2 point [cylinder head cc smaller] or did all the EH's get the steel crank Huh I know 149's did.......FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 07:13:21 PM »

there must be some sort of difference ???otherwise why bother tooling up the HP casting from the 179 casting, i've always heard the higher comp and steel crank thing, but i'm no expert and never heard it from anybody official enough for me to beleive Huh Roll Eyes
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 08:38:23 PM »

there must be some sort of difference ???otherwise why bother tooling up the HP casting from the 179 casting, i've always heard the higher comp and steel crank thing, but i'm no expert and never heard it from anybody official enough for me to beleive Huh Roll Eyes

Up to the end of 1964 all 179 EH engines were HP blocks. The 149 to the same time had no casting numbers on the block. At the end of 1964 from that point on the 149 and 179 were cast with numbers. I suppose when compared to the 149 the 179 was a HP (High Performance) engine.

As for steel cranks all holdens up to about mid 1967 had them, the grey, 149, 161,179,186 all had steel cranks.

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 08:49:02 PM »

Effcee,I'd be interested in knowing what you think is special about a HP 308 block ?
ACE  Cool

Only ever had worked on one. 308HP have steel crank, much tougher rods, similiar to Chevy "X" rods, different cam profile compared to the standard 308. I don't believe it had been apart before I pulled it down, certainly didn't look that it had, still had std bore, main and big ends etc Also had a high volume oil pump that had a Holden casting. I quoted the number at the local Holden dealer, they had no record of the number. I was told it must have been obsolete.

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 03:07:39 PM »

i've seen EH's that are suposed to be original cars with 179 on the side of the block
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 04:58:12 PM »

i've seen EH's that are suposed to be original cars with 179 on the side of the block

Towards the end of 1964 Holden stopped putting on the HP and started with the  179 and 149. 149 Before this had no markings on the outside of the block. The last of the EH's would have had the 179 casting on the blocks

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 06:19:58 PM »

On the early 179s, they were stamped "HP" to differentiate over the 149.

The same system was used with the 253/308 where the 308 got "HP" over the 253 on the early motors.

There is nothing special about either.

Steel cranks were used up until mid 1967 I think (including grey), then all went to cast iron including XU1 etc.  Brock won Bathurst in 72 with a cast crank.

Dave
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008, 06:52:25 PM »

i'll through another spanner in the works but didn't the X2 HD's have HP blocks ?
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 07:20:57 PM »

Ratbox,
I dont know whether the HD X2 had HP blocks, however I do know that the 179 X2 engine numbers were prefixed with 179X. If anyone has a HP block with this prefix then this would be a clear indication. IIRC 179 engines fitted to EH's were prefixed with the letter M and 179's fitted to HD's were prefixed with 179F

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2008, 06:34:53 PM »

someone else told me i was wrong i have seen one but it must have been fitted later
crashbox

cruzin in the FC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 09:43:47 PM »

g'day all, Wink
 i own a hd x2 wagon,had it now  for about 15years still regeristed has the original x2 motor in it,with the 179x engine number,and on the side of the block it has 179 on it ...and not HP... ...but yes i agree that EH  had the HP.. motor 179M. engine no..however i had another HD  had wot was supposed to be the original motor iin it ....yep a HP block 179m,(i still have it) a early hd it was as it still had the  early "kingpin" front end in it before  the hd went to the ball joint front.....another  holden mystery. Huh...
i was once told by a close friend of mine,' Roger Wells... who has  now passed away' who actually worked/raced a genuine EH S4 he told me that holden brought out the HP block for the S4 EH  as it had thicker bore walls, less prone to cracking / over heating when bored out? can anyone shed lite to this???
 Roger also owned and raced for several years the old " pete /ian geogan fx holden..(no 33 green with white stripes).did the appendix j circut with it,i would often help work on it, he showedand taught  me many hot up mods to grey motors...hi comp pistons/ cross flow heads/caged bottom/triples on greys... ends.etc .he knew his stuff.... any way  the fx car was sold shortly  after Rogers death and   recently went to tasmania, i hope it still races......also of interest Roger owned the REPCO  RALLY HDT COMMODORE, this is the car that has recently  appeared in a article in unique car s mag, it was one of 3 that holden raced ,and it was the real deal he bought after the car had be rallied a bit after the repco trail  ,no body really wanted it as it was thrashed and bashed up , came with heaps of genuine hdt gear,anyway we worked on that commodore got it re-rego in all its original unrestored  paintwork,/and  running gear ..people often would laugh when they ssaw it on the road as they thought we had just built a clone.. little did they Know!.we  did a couple of "kindney caper"/  rallies in it,hill climbs...etc will try find sum pics of it it  and work out how to upload em if there is interest......it was a very cool car  .........and Roger was great mate! Wink
...wow.... sorry to get off the 179 track got abit emotional Sad

keep cruisin!!!!

"A GOOD HOLDEN IS A CRUZIN HOLDEN"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: