FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 09:28:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Modification 70's style  (Read 10115 times)
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 06:44:27 PM »

Yes, about the only thing that it couldn't pass was the service station.

I regards to parts and machining being available, I was fortunate with my FC, when it became known amongst the other mechanics that I worked with that I was doing an FC up with a Grey Motor, a few of the mechanics that I worked with basically said "I used to race a car or boat with an old Grey Motor, I still have some parts, do want them?" As a result I ended up with a lot of old Grey Motor speed equipment. As I was also still an apprentice and went to TAFE I had access to an engine dyno, deals were done with apprentice fitters and turners, and as a result I was able to get nearly all of my machining that I required done for next to nix. i was encouraged by my teachers, who both raced cars with Holden Greys.

I learnt a lot as engines broke on the dyno in the chase for horsepower, and I later began racing an FC sedan and later an EJ. The engine in the FC was at one stage in my race car, and was taken out of my race car when I built a better one for my race car.

If only I still had all that old Grey Motor speed equipment that I once had.........

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
pedro
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2008, 08:51:06 PM »

What a great time and place to be doing an apprenteship, having your workmates and your teachers into grey motors would have been a big bonus, if we knew back then what we know now, we would have kept a lot more than we did, i can remember a time when if we blew a motor we would buy another car, take out the motor and tow the it to the dump,take the wheels off and leave the rest.

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2008, 09:31:30 PM »

There were plenty of cars with blown motors about. I remember one year I had a bad season with my EJ, went through 11 bodies in the race season, found them all by driving around Canberra and seeing them sitting on the nature strip with half flat tyres, never paid anymore than $20.00 for one. I would gut them, cut the roof off, fit the roll cage and weld the roof back on. We also used to get parts for cars at the Queanbeyan tip as well. There was never any shortage of bits and pieces.

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »

Yeah grey motors are good and reliable when they are in good nick, but when they get a bit tired they can go quickly, if you push them too hard even quicker, i think some of the newer enthusiasts would be shocked at how cheap they were, and how many good straight rust free cars were trashed just because no one wanted them,my first car was eighty dollars on the rd. registered in very good condition with nasco radio,parcel rack, taxi bar, tow bar and heater.

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
jfk

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2008, 11:40:20 PM »

Mine was purchased in the public bar of The Newport Arms Hotel, Sydney for $60 with rego, chromies and a spare car for parts.........and we needed them Grin

JFK
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: