FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 09:51:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Reconditioning a steering wheel?  (Read 4552 times)
Ute-opia

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2002, 01:54:34 AM »

Can anyone recommend a place which reconditions steering wheels?  I remember a thread where it was recommended that wood putty, sand paper, and two-pack could work wonders but I wouldn't trust myself not to stuff it up.....any "commercial" miracle-makers out there?

Wink

Howie 040404-59-60

howie mcquarrie
howie@regcap.com
(m) 040404-44-33
(h) 03-9646-1884
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2002, 03:18:08 AM »

According to their website, Harrison's do this service.  You'll also find an assortment of companies that do this sort of thing in the ads of "Restored Car" magazine or "Aust Classic Car".

The usual caveats apply.  I've not had this done so can make no recommendations.  Perhaps someone in the Vic club can steer Grin you somewhere local.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Mooky

mooky

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2002, 10:03:00 AM »

Rey http://www.pearlcraft.com.au, they will do a full restoration on your steering wheel, they are located in melbourne.
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2002, 10:16:03 AM »

i had my wheel re-done by pearlcraft and they did an excellent job. i have a two tone pearl effect, off white and the same green as my car. send them a sample and they will match your wheel to the colour.

don't know if they restore the wheel to original specs, or just do pearl, but if you aren't building an original car, a pearl wheel looks pretty good.

(i did have to make a spacer for between the wheel and the steering column though - because the pearl surface is actually a sheet of plastic they wrap the wheel in; so the usual gap between the top of the column and the wheel disappeared when i tried to bolt it back on!)

simon
HARKO
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2002, 12:45:38 PM »

If on the other hand you do decide to try it yoursely it's not hard at all
I restored a FB wheel , The wheel was very dry {no shine) and sanded very very easily ,then a couple of coats of 2k white tinter and it comes up brilliant
Total cost was around $30
When driving with the wheel it feels exactly the same as an original finish and load's of people have asked who restored the steering wheel ?
Self satisfaction may be worth more than the $ value someone will charge you.
Cheers,,,,,,Harko
fc_ute

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2002, 01:48:28 PM »

ive also restored the wheel in my ute, good quality car filler in the cracks and white 2 pac and it still looks great after 2 years of everyday use
Ute-opia

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2002, 04:49:25 PM »

Thanks for all who've replied.....I've put out the feelers to Pearl Craft......if they're too dear, my choice will be made for me, but I still think I'd manage to end up with a pear shaped wheel if I do it under my own steam!

Wink

howie mcquarrie
howie@regcap.com
(m) 040404-44-33
(h) 03-9646-1884
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: