FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 11:48:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Front Shackle bolts  (Read 4627 times)
TTV6FC
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2008, 09:17:20 PM »

How do these come out?I have tried knocking them straight out and screwing them out but they won't budge.I had to cut the middle part of the shaft out because of the rust but I just can't get the heads out.I expect it is something simple.Any ideas? Huh

Cheers,Jamie...

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
Jonno

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 09:27:08 PM »

Jamie,

try this:

http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,3877.0.html

Jonno

Cottles Bridge, VIC
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 11:47:20 PM »

Thanks Jonno.I did a search,but not under that....

FATBOY
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 08:22:45 AM »

Try appling some heat then knocking them out or spray rustoff or wd and then hit with a 4lb hammer it takes a while but should come out eventually
regards fatboy

fatboy
FEHOLDEN

like all good things...it will happen eventually.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 09:14:28 AM »

Gidday all

I just did this job last week Smiley I used my 12" socket extention [sidchrome of course] and a hammer. Put a nut over the end of the bolt for thread protection and went to town. Driver side took a bit of work but pass. side only took two thumps. Bolts were still in good nick so I was able to reuse them. Smiley

To get at the cut off bolt you may be able to thread your drift through the hole and onto the end and use the same method.

HTH

Denis
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 01:05:37 PM »

For really tough buggers i've welded a nut which fits my slide hammer to the large screw head.A few whacks and their out.
Make sure the car is supported well on stands or ramps  Wink
ACE  Cool
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 11:21:03 PM »

Thanks guys.I might need to lean on them a bit harder then as I have already tried using a drift and sledge hammer to get them out with no success.Might try welding the nut on there.Does anyone have any good bolts for sale either NOS or good second hand?I had to destroy mine as they were rusted beyond recovery.Cheers Jamie.

FX1975
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 11:34:49 AM »

looks as though you have removed the spring already, if this is the case and only the head remains you can pierce through the head with an oxy torch and cut out the centre of the head of the bolt leaving a few mm around the outer edge so as you don't damage the mount. This will relieve the pressure on the bolt head and whats left should knock out easily.  I sourced new dolts from rares for mine.

Hope this helps
                                      Frank
59fcholden
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 01:02:01 PM »

I just completed this job today. I soaked them in wd40 over the last couple of weeks. Used a centre punch on the bolt and knocked them straight out.  If it wasnt for this thread i might be still trying to unscrew them out  Grin
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 09:47:35 PM »

Finally got the little suckers out!Drilled a half inch hole through the head,put a 3/8 drive extension bar through then wriggled them back and forth till they moved then belted them out.Damn they were tight! Angry.Thanks for all your help.

Trevor_B
vic-club

Melbourne VIC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 06:08:35 PM »

Hi,
If you are using the Rare Spares repro bolts to replace the originals can I suggest you treat them with care when installing.

My experince suggests they are a bit "soft" compared to the original and very easy to damage the thread - do not attempt to pull the bolt home using the nut as it will most likely strip the thread. Suggest you lubricate the rubber bushes with rubber grease as well to make it easier to assemble.

Regards,
Trevor_B

FC Sedan, Ute & Wagon .... only a Panel Van required to make the set
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: