FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 29, 2024, 04:51:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rust in the rear spring mount  (Read 3351 times)
SEB

Three on the tree, 132 CI and 3.89:1

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2002, 10:54:52 AM »

Greetings,

During my recent attempt to replace the leaf springs in my Ute I have encountered a nasty patch of rust in the channel/subframe to the front of the front leaf spring mount. It's pretty bad needs the whole thing replaced from the mount to the sill. Does anybody know if a rust repair kit is made for this ? If its a fabrication job are there any reputable workshops in the Ringwood Victoria area ?

Best regards.

Steve. Cry
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2002, 10:11:47 PM »

Hi Steve,

Im pretty sure no rust sections are made for the subframe forward of the spring hanger.

It may be "easiest" to source a wreck and cut out the required section. just be generous with the amount u cut out from the wreck.

you will probably have to have stepped cuts where it reattaches where appropriate (increased welded face) so strength is retained.

unfortunately i dont know anybody in Vic who can help you out.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
spider

GO THE MIGHTY GREY MOTOR

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2002, 02:38:58 AM »

:)Hey Steve,
                    Make sure you check further up the hanger, as the hanger in my ute looked fine until i started cleaning all the dirt and crap out and the whole hanger was rotting from the inside out. And it kept going all the way up the chassis rail's, and along the brace that the shock absorber's are welded to, so now i have to do a cut and shut so all the cancer is out of the back of the ute. You would not believe how much dirt sit's in there so make sure you check it all properly before chasing just the hanger. A mate of mine made up a set of hanger's for mine before we found the rest of the rust, they are made out of galvinised steel and a slightly heavier gauge to the original, and it's STRONGER AND RUSTPROOF. He is thinking of producing them if there is a market for them. GOOD LUCK Wink
SPIDER
SEB

Three on the tree, 132 CI and 3.89:1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2002, 06:25:09 AM »

Looking at the way this is put together there seems to be a slight gap where the spring hanger is which lets junk into the chassis which starts the rusting process. So I would think Spiders Mate has a captive market as it will happen to all FE/FC's that have a gap like mine.

So far I have removed about 2Kgs of Sand, Rust, Dirt and Expired Plant life. As Spider has indicated the holes just gets bigger.....

Best regards,

Steve.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: