FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:05:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: brake & clutch master cyl. leaks ! ! !  (Read 3754 times)
50plus

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2008, 02:47:16 PM »

Hi to all, Had a look around the car today im getting ready for the road, Its a 57 fe special sedan ,To find where the clutch & brake fluid are disapearing to, On the inside of the fire wall theres a trickle coming out of each one!  l havnt removed them yet, as l want to know the cure for this problem first, is there a repair kit for these babies? around still? Dont realy want to replace the cyls. if its not absolutely nec. im in Bacchus Marsh hoping theres a cure close by, l can do the work myself if l can  source the  parts....Any sugestions??
59fcholden
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 07:32:08 PM »

I just overhauled both master cylinders in the last 2 weeks, The kits were about $17each, from the local brake shop.
Depending on the condtion of the bores, it takes very little time to put the kit thru them.
Ken
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 07:33:32 PM »

You can buy kits for the cylinders cheaply but unfortunately I doubt if it will solve your problem long term. They will probably start leaking again after a few months because generally the bore of the cylinder is scored. So you will have to take out the cylinders, strip them down and have them sleeved with stainless steel inserts. This is very effective and will last for years.

Hoppers Stoppers will do them for you in Hoppers Crossing

Ken
Fat_Charlie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 07:40:52 PM »

Hey 50plus ,I had both my Brake and Clutch master cylinders stainless lined ,from memory it was about $50 each with the PBR rebuild kit,i had to assemble them myself ,Not much to it
50plus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 10:00:27 PM »

Thanks you blokes, ill take the cylinders off and check the bores, see which avenue its gunna be, stainless or rubber kit.....thanks again....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: